DSD256 and how it's being played

Received from Paul today (I am on his daily e-mail list):

DSD256 downloads

A few weeks ago we had announced that our entire Octave Record’s catalog was now available in DSD256. Many of you got excited (me too!) and purchased them……

……only to discover there was no music on those downloads.

Doh! This was 100% my fault and I apologize.

Now, the files are repaired and available again for download. If you previously purchased them your old download code still works. If you lost it or whatever, reach out to the sales team and they’ll get you fixed right up.

Again, mea culpa and apologies.

For those who didn’t know about this, you can go here and find (hopefully to your delight) the following formats now available for download:

DSD

** DSD64*
** DSD128*
** DSD256*

PCM

** 44.1kHz*
** 96kHz*
** 192kHz*
** 352kHz*

This is pretty exciting for us. In the future, we will likely lose 192kHz and go instead to a more native format of 176kHz (a true multiple of 44.1).

All new Octave recordings are natively recorded in DSD256, but the older classics were in DSD64. How did we get to these new sample rates? With a great deal of sweat and time.

As many of you know, the process of mixing and mastering DSD requires conversion to either analog or DXD. The older catalog was first converted to analog, then reconverted back to DSD64. For remastering, we did basically the same thing only instead of converting the final mix to DSD64 we instead selected DSD128 and DSD256.

Why a lot of time and sweat? The entire remastering process is done in real-time. Meaning each track is converted at a painstaking 1:1. So an hour-long album takes an hour to remaster in each new DSD rate (so two hours for each album to get DSD128 and DSD256).

You do the math.

The results are spectacular and worth grabbing.

FYI.

Right. I read this. And the old download link sent for the download doesn’t work. If there is a place online where I can enter the download ‘code’ - hey I’m all ears. I put in a call but they are gone. Was hoping to have a chance to listen over the long weekend.

same here, for both my dsd256 purchases i’m getting: "Sorry, this download has expired’

I experienced the same issue myself…

I purchaded Gasoline Lollipops DSD256 two days ago and all the tags for artist and album and art were missing. I had to put them in myself with MP3tag. Just a heads up if anyone wonders why their NAS or server doess not catalog the new entry.

So rob. How does it sound for all of us wondering? :grinning:

Still waiting for PS Audio to release the AudiophileMasters Volume 1 that I already paid for. I already have the DSD 64 version, but was curious if the upsampled version is any better. Paul insist it is, but if better, how much better than the 64 version. Is it worth the extra money?

Thanks for that. I will work on getting that right.

Dang. Sorry guys. Long weekend and I am in Europe heading to the UK HiFi show. I’ll get someone on it ASAP.

1 Like

Timm, fantastic! I had never heard of them before. While I was waiting for the DSD256 release, I looked them up on Tidal where you can find all their albums. Frontman Clay Rose has a very unique sound and style that really sets them apart from other unique artists like Kurt Vile for example.

Nightmares is a really good song but overall, I liked their previous album more, ‘All The Misery Money Can Buy’.

I don’t have a trained ear so likely could not tell the difference between DSD128 and DSD256. I really notice a stage presense. I would close my eyes, tip my head back and almost feel centre stage with the Hammond and Leslie on the right, Telecaster in the back center and Clay Rose to the left singing into a distorted old-type condenser mic (I think). Anyway, it gave him a very unique sound.

@Paul. is it possible to get this issue fixed soon so our wonderful weekend is not a total lost? Thank you for getting involve even on a Sunday.

1 Like

Very cool. Thanks rob. When I first heard them - I thought he sounded a little like the lead singer of crash test dummies - if you have ever heard them - find their Superman song if you have not heard them on tidal

Yes, very familiar with them and now that you mention it, I agree.

All early adopters. Paul has fixed my issue with the download link for 256. If you reach out to him via email he may be able to help you as well. He has to extend the date on the original download for you. I’ve listened to the GasPops 256 multiple times and it sounds fantastic.

I now get this message:

Sorry, you have reached your download limit for this file Go to shop

Paul emailed me yesterday also about resetting the time on the download, but still getting the same message on reaching my download limit. Still not working.

I know I had 8 downloads originally and was at 6 when this reset of the date started. Are you guys aware of how many attempts you had made prior to the reset if the date?

I did delete my prior downloads off my hard drive. I don’t know if that makes a difference

I got the DSD256 of AudiophileMasters Volume 1 today to compare to the DSD 64 version and @Paul was right. I don’t understand it, same bits but the DSD 256 walked all over the 64 version. The 64 version leans and flatten the images a bit. The 256 version fills out the dimensions and has more substance. If this file was mastered in 64, I wonder what it would sound like mastered in 256.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the volume levels were different. I had to turn up the DSD 256 version up 6 clicks to equal the 64 version.

Bits are Bits gurgled the clown.