DSJ Bridge not working

Nope. I have been using a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 router for the last year and half.

Why I asked is there is a known bug in Pakedge RK-1 router that would explain this. If you wanted to try one more thing, Netgear Support can probably remote-in to the router and check the logs for additional clues. Or if you have a different router, try that.

Old IT guy here… can you ping the unit? This will tell if the network is OK. You don’t need a special app for this. On Windows 10, click on the Windows icon lower left screen. Then just start typing “command” without the quotes… click on the “Command Prompt”… a black window will open… type " Ping 192.168.x.x" the real 192 address is your DAC… so use the correct number there. Hit enter… if you get a positive response, the network is OK.

This is the “lowest level” connectivity test you can do. Said another way, if this doesn’t work, then you know you have a foundational network connectivity issue.

If you look at your router using their menu and system, you may get fooled by what you see… some routers will have your unit’s IP address there but that does not mean it is actually connected. The most sure way of knowing the unit is “on the network” is ping it from your PC. The ping protocol was developed just for this reason… for example if you ping a device, DAC or antother PC, the unit can be dead but the ethernet card can still be alive… the Ethernet card will natively respond to a ping even if the its host is dead (provided it has power).

Peace
Bruce in Philly

He said FING is not detecting it on the network. FING can detect stuff on a network even if DHCP has failed. So pinging it is not something that will work.

Interesting… how can FING find a device that has no IP address assigned (failure of DHCP)? Using the discovery protocol in some way?

I checked their website and couldn’t find anything readily on this.

I use “Network Mapper” on my Android… works well for my home network but I am always interested in something better.

Old IT guy networking tip: Always assign your own IP addresses (“static IP addresses”) outside of your router’s DHCP range… devices can get lost in the network over time and when swapping out equipment etc…

Peace
Bruce in Philly

@JeremyBe @Brodric UPDATE: I got it working for now. I removed the DSJ from my listening room, took it to the basement and connected it directly to the router. Everything worked just fine. Then I tried to figure out why. I brought it back upstairs and connected to the network via ethernet like I had always done (using the same cable I just used downstairs) and the Bridge was not picking up the signal. That test went through a NetGear switch that feeds everything in my audio/media cabinet, but I suspected that maybe if I bypass the switch, that would fix things. It did.

So…why is my DSJ having a problem with my switch? I should note that the switch was not in use when I was using my DSJ before this problem appeared. But that’s odd because the switch works just fine feeding bits to my other network DAC and TV. My NetGear GS105NA switch is gigabit capable, unmanaged model. Can anyone make sense of this? I also tried power cycling the switch and that didn’t change anything.

Here is an example of which I speak…FING detects the MAC address of the device on the network without that device having an IP. This particular device does not support static IP. There is no provision for manually giving it an IP.

Yeah. The switch is busted. It happens. Buy a new one.

So Mr McGowan,

Did you fully realize you were wading into the home network support business?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

:grimacing:

I’m picking up a new switch today and will see if that fixes things. But I don’t see why that would be the problem since the switch i have already is only a month old and works fine with my other network DAC. We’ll see…

Have you swapped out the cable from switch to DSD, or plugged into a different port on the switch?

Eldrick +1

I have had routers/hubs/switches with a single failed Ethernet port… very rare though and more often “in the old days”. Just swap the cable and port using a know good one.

I still would try and PING the unit.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Hello Blang,

Thanks for getting back to me about this.

Clearly there is a network issue here.

The DSJ uses DHCP to make automatic LAN connections drawing an available IP from the address pool.

It appears that your network switch is interruption this process somehow.

One thing you can try is to establish a static IP for the DSJ.

You can access the IP screen in the menu of the DSJ and select static.

As well you can try to simplify your network y removing as many nodes in-between the DSJ and your server as possible.

Please let me know if these suggestions are helpful and if I can assist you further.

Kind wishes,

Jeremy Bretey | Customer Service Manager | PS Audio

4826 Sterling Drive, Boulder, CO 80301

Ph 866-406-8946 | Fax 720-406-8967

www.psaudio.com

jeremyb@psaudio.com

Yes. Didn’t solve anything.