DSJ Huron Hiss at low level issue

Ted/Paul

Earlier in this topic, TAWW posted a sound clip of the noise he is hearing with the volume at 60. This sounds quite similar to the noise coming from my DSJ with the attenuator set to “out”. However, in my case the noise is constant at all volume settings, neither increasing or decreasing. As I mentioned earlier, the DSJ appears to be silent at all volume settings with the attenuator set at “in”. Hope reference to TAWW’s clip helps in diagnosing.

Also being a “newbie” to PS, I need to ask:

• am I correct that there is no sonic quality loss by using the attenuator in the “in” position?

• Pending resolution of the noise issue, if I wanted to increase the available volume range (since I can’t use the DSJ in the “out” attenuator setting), would introducing a preamp to control volume and setting the DSJ volume to 100 provide make sense, again without sonic degradation? This, of course, presumes a quality preamp with my preference being a tube unit (this is where a commercial for the BHK Signature Preamp pops up) :wink:

Thanks.

David Monti Sr

The noise is indeed constant at all volume levels. The 20dB attenuator is there precisely to attenuate the noise 20dB (with the side effect of attenuating the signal 20dB :slight_smile: )

The attenuator is implemented with quality resistors and a relay. Kind of hard to do much better. Still everything matters (including personal preference) and some may prefer the attenuator in and some out.

Indeed many prefer a preamp for a variety of reasons, one of them being able to run the DS at 100 and keep it’s maximum dynamic range.

Ted

From what you have seen on the forums, is the hash noise issue exclusive to the DSJ w/Huron or has it also cropped up in the Direct Stream DAC?

At this point the hash itself is well understood: http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/fpga-improvements-in-redcloud

The level of white noise beyond that is expected for both the DS Jr and the DS Sr. In the Sr the level is approximately 6dB lower than the DS Jr.

Hi everyone,

I am a very recent owner (3 days) of a new DSJ, and I can say a happy user for the time being.

The unit arrived with Huron installed; I directly upgraded to Redcloud and the bridge to 3.4.5. So I did not listen to previous versions. I mention that I had no issue at all during the upgrades.

The first thing that I noticed after connecting and powering the unit (without signal) was a hiss, constant, independent of the volume level or the source connected. This hiss is loud enough to be heard instantly.

I began to switch cables, XLR or RCA, sources, position, etc, but the hiss is still there. Quite annoying for a product of this price. My previous 1000 euro DAC was completely silent. This is the first time I have such an issue. Once the music plays, it is ok, the hiss is covered by the sound and I had not noticed any other distorsion.

I also discovered by myself that the attenuator makes the hiss become almost inaudible. So I am using it. Hopefully my Bryston power amp has 2 gain stages, 23 and 29 db. I am using the 29db with XLR connection which compensates partly for the lower input level.

It would be great if PSAudio could do something about this hiss. The fact that the noise is present without any signal or music playing makes me think it is not linked to the OS version, but more to the HW part, but it’s only my intuition.

I will end with the good part : it sounds wonderful ! Using it with MConnect Control HD and QOBUZ hires which are working perfectly.

What a pleasure to listen to it. It plays in a different league compared to my previous DAC.

Good job PSAudio for the work, and the way you are listening and supporting your customers.

Regards,

Sebastian

@tedsmith
Fyi, my purchased directstream DAC (Sr) direct to my amp and Voxativ 99dB speakers is dead quiet …even without the output attenuation. Unlike my loaner DSJ which had a very noticible hiss.
Of course, my Sr is running redcloud and my DSJ evaluation unit was Huron.
Still, I am impressed and very pleased that my late night low level listening is now without any annoyance.
Thanks Ted and PSAudio.