DirectStream Junior Huron is released!

Huron will be released for the DirectStream DAC Junior any moment now. Discuss installation sound, bugs, etc. here once it goes live.

10 . . . 9 . . . 8 . . . 7 . . . 6 . . . 5 . . .

4 and 7/8ths…

Does anyone know if the installation directions are similar to the DS Install with the only difference being SD vs USB Memory stick? There are FAQ articles for the DS upgrade but none for the DS Jr. Also, any ideas on what the minimal size USB Stick required?

There’s no practical minimum size, the update is only about 2 Megs.

Juniors up and alive!!!

Hang on to your collective hats. DirectStream Junior Huron has been released and it’s amazing. Arnie’s spent the last three days sweating bullets of the versions to narrow it down to the single best in terms of top end, midrange, midbass, bass and this one’s the one.

https://www.psaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/DSJ_Huron.zip

For instructions how to download and load this onto a USB memory stick, go here:

http://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/upgrade-directstream-operating-system/

Let us know what you think!

Paul et al.,

Thanks. I’ve installed Huron to my DSJ and hope to react soon.

I should point out one nit I picked up. In the link provided by Paul to the install instructions, users are instructed to install the memory stick into the back of the DSJ after it has been turned off. In the written instructions I received with my unit, on page 13, it says otherwise ("…To install, place the USB stick in the rear of the DirectStream Junior. Then, turn off the rear panel power with…"). Can you please clarify which procedure is correct, or if it even makes a difference?

Best regards
David

It makes no difference.

Huron wouldn’t load over Torreys, Yale did, then Huron loaded over Yale fine.

badbeef said

I had no difficulty installing Huron over Torreys.

badbeef said

Badbeef - to clarify… I gather you are saying that you tried to load Huron over Torreys on your DSJ, and it would not? Further, that you reverted to Yale, and then Huron would load?

If so, that may explain why I cannot get Huron to load. Have been going through a raft of different USB thumb drives, trying various file systems, and Huron is not loading over Torreys on my DSJ.

If the blue light never started blinking you probably had wrong or corrupted files on the USB drive. That can happen if you 1) had some wrong files on the USB drive the first time, 2) hadn’t formatted the USB drive since the last time you forgot to use eject. Neither of these seem likely in your case, but I’ve certainly made each of those mistakes in the past. One way to get some wrong files is to unzip a new set of files over an old release and not overwrite any duplicate file names.

I cannot get Huron to load either and I don’t have files with Yale since my DSJr was pre-loaded with Yale.

And I had trouble with getting Torreys to load last year. Dennis sent me a forced install file to get it loaded.

So, I have sent an e-mail to Dennis requesting a forced install.

Ted Smith said

If the blue light never started blinking you probably had wrong or corrupted files on the USB drive. That can happen if you 1) had some wrong files on the USB drive the first time, 2) hadn’t formatted the USB drive since the last time you forgot to use eject. Neither of these seem likely in your case, but I’ve certainly made each of those mistakes in the past. One way to get some wrong files is to unzip a new set of files over an old release and not overwrite any duplicate file names.

Ted, is it possible that some folks are simply forgetting to remove the downloaded contents from the “DirectStream Junior Huron” folder that gets downloaded, simply copying the files therein to their USB stick (but not the folder containing those files)??

Indeed! That’s what I’m doing! Did I miss something in the instructions? Will try that now. Thanks!

When people say that Huron didn’t load was it that the Blue light never started blinking or that it took forever (the Blue light blinks longer now than it used to, but not “forever”)

Out of curiosity, of those who had problems with loading Huron, which version of Torreys were you on before?

David Bernat said

Ted, is it possible that some folks are simply forgetting to remove the downloaded contents from the “DirectStream Junior Huron” folder that gets downloaded, simply copying the files therein to their USB stick (but not the folder containing those files)??

Indeed I was just going to edit my post asking if they might have done that :)

The files at the root of your USB drive for Huron should be:

DSJR0121.hex
fjr12303.hex
LOADER.CFG
USBL0021.hex

(Other files shouldn’t matter, but often people are better off formatting the drive (as FAT 16 or FAT 32) and having exactly those files at the root.)

Deanhorn said

I cannot get Huron to load either and I don’t have files with Yale since my DSJr was pre-loaded with Yale.

I have attached DS Jr Yale in case you would like to try loading it.

Ted Smith said

When people say that Huron didn’t load was it that the Blue light never started blinking or that it took forever (the Blue light blinks longer now than it used to, but not “forever”)

Out of curiosity, of those who had problems with loading Huron, which version of Torreys were you on before?

No blinking at all. And Torreys 2.9.14.

But now I am definitely unclear…

The DSJ Huron download is a zip file. Specifically named DSJ_Huron.zip. There is no folder structure within it, only 4 zipped files. If those four files are not supposed to go into the root of the USB drive, but in a folder (unzipped of course), what is that name of said folder? Surely not DSJ_Huron.zip?

Please advise. Thanks.

I couldn’t load Huron over Torreys either. Used your tip and installed Yale and then Huron loaded. Thanks for the tip.

Dave