Eddie Van Halen - God speed

Eddie passed away today at 65.

4 Likes

Rest In Pease… I grew up with Van Halen consistently in play.

3 Likes

I’m from Pasadena and saw Van Halen play when they still did parties. We thought they were great but had no idea how great they would become! Sad day…

3 Likes

He’s the very reason I picked up a guitar in HS. RIP Master.

1 Like

I am a vocal cord cancer survivor after surgery and 33 radiation treatments. I know full well how much Eddie suffered, and I am so sorry he could not defeat his cancer. He’ll be remembered as a phenomenal guitarist and band member. My condolences to Valerie and others whose live he touched.
EDIT: How arrogant I must seem. I made my post about me, not Eddie. I cannot ever know what Eddie went through and I was wrong to suggest that I do. He had 1/3 of his tongue removed, he battled throat cancer for years and he died of metastatic brain cancer. I apologize to any forum or family member if I have offended you or belittled your struggle with cancer. It was not my intent to do so.

4 Likes

Sad day indeed :frowning_face:

RIP EVH

Last year he attended a Tool concert with his son and they guy in front of them asked Eddie if he’d take a picture of him with the stage. Wolfgang thought it was hilarious that the guy didn’t recognize his father who was probably the most famous musician in the arena!

3 Likes

The great ones seem to die too young. RIP Eddie. Show em how to really play an axe in heaven.

Sigh. Thanks 2020. Again.

Best commercial ever made:

R.I.P. He was one of a very few major guitar influences in my music life.

1 Like
1 Like

RIP Eddie, one of the most amazing and dynamic guitarist that I have seen in my 76 years of kicking it with rock. I especially admired his persona, in part, because I thought it was rare good quality among the many greats.
Chas

1 Like
3 Likes

So this is likely over-the-top but maybe 5150 Studio should be dismantled and re-assembled at the Smithsonian?

I’m not a big Van Halen fan but EVH was an important piece of Americana.

A good read…thanks for sharing.

Cheers.

The title of this thread popped up again and I read it differently - yes, Eddie had God Speed! :metal:t2:

1 Like

5 Eddie Van Halen Songs That Explain His Genius - https://www.npr.org/2020/10/10/922252577/the-astonishing-techniques-that-made-eddie-van-halen-a-guitar-god

I thought this was apropos… a musician’s tribute honoring another musician…