Feed your computer with your powerstation!

This weekend I tried to feed my computer fromout my powerstation P10. The result is…

Maybe you should try!

Seems like it would be a great idea…but never for the refrigerator, or washer :((

@4krow

The power supply of the computer will benefit enormous. These kind of power supply’s are normaly noisy so that can’t do any good to keep the Powerstation clean. There probably will be one step back and 3 steps forward.

With adding your refrigerator on your Powerstation the sound probably wil be 10 steps back, but who cares! You don’t have to walk all the way to the kitchen anymore. So it saves many steps forward. Do the math. :slight_smile:

Actualy I have a question for Paul about this. My computer is normaly pulling 60watt while playing music. Can it be harmful for the P10 when this kind of power supply’s pull 460 watt from the P10 for a while? Or would it be better to plug it in the wall for use at full load this for the lifetime of the P10?

I would not be concerned. The P10 will protect itself if there is ever a problem.

The P10 is meant to be used and to supply power. :slight_smile:

I doubt there is any practical benefit to doing so given the typical, very noisy computer power supply. One of our compatriots claims however that a computer rips files better when plugged in with a upgraded audiophile power cord. Try plugging in the computer and see what you think/hear.

Elk is correct, no worries. The P10 will protect itself. These power supplies typically have extremely low power factor and so the wattage they draw is way out of synch with the power, but the P10 is more than capable of handling this load and low power factor.

Thanks for the explanation than I keep it on the P10.

@Elk, I’m not sure how it benefits, but in my case it brought more strenght in the music more body.

Maybe it’s just a shorter loop or something.

Orther people with a PC in the listening room could give it a try maybe they will have the same upgrade!

If it works, it works!

Wouldn’t it be interesting if some sort of upgrade were done nationwide to the AC system as we know it? We have all been brought up with a so-so system that works at nearly it’s max during the day. I have always wondered what enhancements could be done, and what the total benefit would be as far as computers, tv’s , and ANY sensitive equipment in our homes.

Wouldn't it be interesting if some sort of upgrade were done nationwide to the AC system as we know it? We have all been brought up with a so-so system that works at nearly it's max during the day. I have always wondered what enhancements could be done, and what the total benefit would be as far as computers, tv's , and ANY sensitive equipment in our homes.
Good point!
I think we will get direct current in our home's in the future. Almost al our equipment in our home's run on direct current. So we only need one power supply per building or per house. :-bd

I don’t think we’ll see any significant changes to our electrical transmission system in the near future. Far too much invested in the current infrastructure to make a major change. The quality of power could certainly improve, but there needs to be a technical or financial reason for the power companies to make the changes. They won’t make them just to be nice to us audiophiles. As for DC, it would have to be done at each house or business, but it would be impractical right now. Not that many big power draws are DC. Would also require separate DC lines in the house/business. Transmission of DC is out of the question, far too much loss to be practical. We can thank Nikola Tesla for AC, now if he would have perfected his idea for wireless transmission of AC, that would have been something!

Still,

I’m calling the power company tomorrow and ordering up some multi-wave. “Boss, It’s that Peyton guy again, what do I tell him?” “Just hang up Fred, just hang up.”

Tesla yes and amost nobody knows the man. Did you know he found xrays too. He died with people thinking he was crazy. And a broken down musiem in nj. I think it it just got rehabed too. And mr thomas edison gets all the credit yea. A great buisness man but really a cruel man. Funny though.

They make a seperate dc power supply used for you hardrives and usb power for cpu,s. For me a dedecated music server or nas is better.

Al

Ah, this is the main reason why, somewhat contrary to Paul’s prior advice, I have generally opted to keep my music server in the same room as the rest of my system. There are trade-offs in either choice; by and large my ears tell me that the downside is less than the upside (obviously if one had less limited funds one could set up a server on a P5 elsewhere in the house, but, well, you know.)

Ah, this is the main reason why, somewhat contrary to Paul's prior advice, I have generally opted to keep my music server in the same room as the rest of my system. There are trade-offs in either choice; by and large my ears tell me that the downside is less than the upside (obviously if one had less limited funds one could set up a server on a P5 elsewhere in the house, but, well, you know.)

I am the same. Part of the reason I like my W4S server is due to its ability to be fed by a linear power supply, that in turn is fed by audiophile power cord from a P10. As always, power supply to the source is critical.

I concur . The p10/5, s I use make a solid difference in sound . For my office and home in NC the amps are just to much for the units though , so they are connected directly to wall outlets. ISO gnd seperate circuits same phase throughout. And only one gnd for all power to system. Also min 10 gauge , but mine is 8 gauge.

Al. D

It seems sometimes it’s better to use a stock powercord. The one which was included with the powersupply of the computer.

I tried for a few day’s a high quality powercord Kemp powercord +, but the sound became to flat to enjoy. So the best way to feed my computer from the P10 is with the stock cable. Very detailed natural sound good sounstage and very deep bass. Probably the cable screen of the Kemp is not working well for the sound (noise?).

Well, that is strange @wijnand , I will have to try some different PCs and report back.

@stereophilus

Maybe in your case with the linear power supply a audiophile powercord will be better!

Interesting! I look forward to your report!