Final version firmware released: 1.94 December 9, 2016, Now Interim 2.08 March 9, 2018

Rob, that looks like a problem. Mine sits flush against the front face. You might want to get it RMA’d and have it looked at.

Thanks, Rob et. al. for your contributions.

Rob, I’d send my unit back for a drawer redo too. Asymmetrically proud is every bit as bad for a CD drawer as it is for an osteochondral graft. Especially if you plan to continue using it for the hi fi system in your igloo. I doubt PSA would want that unit out in the wild breeding discontent. While in for therapy, perhaps your touchscreen will be found to have issues too.

It sounds like there may be some lingering operational deficiencies. But it is reassuring to hear that Dennis is revising away in the background. I notice that the DMP shipment still seems to be impending, rather than occurring, in the product listing page. Perhaps Platonic perfection will be achieved in the new year.

Nobo said

Rob, I’d send my unit back for a drawer redo too. Asymmetrically proud is every bit as bad for a CD drawer as it is for an osteochondral graft. Especially if you plan to continue using it for the hi fi system in your igloo. I doubt PSA would want that unit out in the wild breeding discontent. While in for therapy, perhaps your touchscreen will be found to have issues too.

Yeah, a little igloo-proofing could clearly do!

And this unit has a drawer alignment/clearance issue, I think, that has been going on for a while, if not from the get-go. Note the wear spot through the powder-coat to bare metal; it’s the shiny area on the superior edge of the right, innermost drawer lip.

I agree. Let’s get that unit back and we’ll fix 'er up for you ASAP!

1 Like

Thanks, Paul. However, let me first see if Dennis’s next fix will banish my touchscreen woes.

I have at last added the final firmware to my DMP (I’m one of those who has problems creating cards with firmware myself and always get the updates from PS Audio, I went from the first firmware to the last on the DMP).

A lot of operational bugs have been cured, but I am now not getting DSD playback for SACD to the DS, I get 24 bit/88K. I remember reading of this problem with some software upgrades, but not the solution, and I notice the “bugs” thread is gone and possibly some advice within that I need.

What do I need to do to restore DSD playback? Thanks.

Check that the default (play SACD layer on hybrid CDs) didn’t get changed somehow. Select the three dots, then the checkbox to access the setup menu. If the default is set correctly, someone from PSA will have to jump in. Someone else did report this problem, but I don’t think he replied about whether he got it fixed.

There’s a new thread for issues with the (supposedly) final firmware, 1.94.

Thanks, that was the first thing I did, check that selection options (which is Redbook or SACD, not hi res PCM!) It seems as if it’s not noticing I’m using an HDMI connection. . . .

I’ll look for the other thread, thanks.

davidgrogers said Hello,

Have been enjoying my memory player for several weeks. After the recent upgrade it began to read the PCM rather than the DSD layer of SACDs.

I have encountered the same problem David. Did you find a solution?

Lonson, I had the 88/24 issue once a while back. All it took for me was a reboot and it was solved. You might want to try several times if it doesn’t work intially.

lonson said
davidgrogers said Hello,

Have been enjoying my memory player for several weeks. After the recent upgrade it began to read the PCM rather than the DSD layer of SACDs.

I have encountered the same problem David. Did you find a solution?

If the reboot doesn’t work, please contact me directly. I sent you an email already. We want to see if the DMP still retains its unit ID and if it recognizes the DS in the connections screen.

Thanks. I’ve done several reboots, I’ll try a few more, probably in the morning, Xmas preps with my wife are in effect tonight. Paul, it does not have an ID assigned and the “Connections” screen doesn’t really have any data to it, the DMP is connected to the DS and everything else works. I’ve sent you an email.

Rob, there are gears on both sides of the drawer, and it looks like the one side is a tooth or two out of whack with the other. Chances are you could pull it back into line, but I wouldn’t, as you could break a tooth. They’re plastic gears and plastic runners. I had to send my Oppo 83 in to get the drawer fixed once, though it wasn’t an alignment issue - it stopped opening. I think the drive wheel(s) became disengaged or stripped.

Rebooting hasn’t helped so I guess I’ll send this back, possibly next week. Good thing I haven’t sold my other PWT yet (though I intend to, which means sending this DMP back real soon).

lonson said Rebooting hasn't helped so I guess I'll send this back, possibly next week. Good thing I haven't sold my other PWT yet (though I intend to, which means sending this DMP back real soon).
This is an issue we've now seen a couple of times following an update. It helps us to figure out what's going on.

If, after an update your DMP no longer plays SACD, it looks now like it somehow lost it’s unit ID number. This number is part of what we use to negotiate the handshake with DS. Both devices have to have unit IDs so they can talk to each other to agree to play SACD.

The first screen of the DMP displays the unit ID. If you have had a similar problem, open the menu screen and see if your unit ID is still there. Contact us if not.

Thanks to Paul and Dennis I essayed once again connecting the PMD to the internet and was successful with the help of 50’ of ethernet cable.

Dennis sent me a command which gave me an ID and then after a few reboots I’m playing an SACD as it should be played back, DSD showing on both DMP and DSD.

THANK YOU! John Coltrane is playing on “Someday My Prince will Come” right now and sounding wonderful. Life is good!

Thanks to Paul and Dennis and all the staff (Dennis and Kevin are among the most sincerely helpful people I’ve ever run across in this kind of position, and how fortunate are we to have a CEO who emails us help and guidance and wisdom!). Happy holidays to all.

1 Like

And just a final note: DSD playback and 24/88.2 playback are significantly different. Both sound great! The PCM seemed just a bit warmer and looser. . . which can be nice on some material, indeed. But I’m glad to have the DSD streaming again.

Just out of curiosity, was the unit ID the same as before or was a new one generated? I’ll take note of mine for reference, but not sure if this makes a difference in the “recovery” process.

To my knowledge I never had an ID number before, the field has been empty whenever I looked at that screen.

lonson said I have at last added the final firmware to my DMP (I'm one of those who has problems creating cards with firmware myself and always get the updates from PS Audio, I went from the first firmware to the last on the DMP).

A lot of operational bugs have been cured, but I am now not getting DSD playback for SACD to the DS, I get 24 bit/88K. I remember reading of this problem with some software upgrades, but not the solution, and I notice the “bugs” thread is gone and possibly some advice within that I need.

What do I need to do to restore DSD playback? Thanks.

I received my DMP yesterday, December 15. I hooked it up to my DS with the supplied HDMI cable. Like you, it truncated my SACDs to 88.2/24K PCM. I checked all the settings and then called technical support. James of PS Audio went through my settings and everything checked out. He told me that there have been others with similar pirblems. Last night I unplugged the HDMI cable at both ends and then reconnected it to the DMP and DS. This cured my problem and now my SACDs show DSD on the DMP, so in my case it was a simple matter of disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable. Very strange, but a good ending. Hopefully my DMP will continue to play DSD.