Finally....PerfectWave SACD Transport

Having issues playing files from a USB stick. If I select track 2 it jumps to track 3 then track 1, then it doesn’t play unless I hit the play button. Same goes for selecting any other track, seems to have a mind of its own, jumping to different tracks and then not playing. This then becomes an issue if I want to place the USB stick on repeat all. Starts out on track one jumps to track three then back to track one and stops playing. Anyone else have an issues playing files from a USB stick?

Yes, I’ve also experienced issues with USB files - but with AIFF files, not WAV. At the end of the AIFF track, there is a few seconds of white noise, then the next track number briefly appears on the display, and then the next actual song plays with the NEXT track number indicated. Hence, track 1 plays with noise at end, and next song is on track 3, again with noise at end. I emailed Scott McGowan @scottm a week or so ago with details.

1 Like

@Elk: Sometimes I think it has to do with whether you are in the “listening for differences and improvements” mode vs. a more overall “how does it sound?” mode. A matter of focus.

And then there’s ears and system synergy and all that.

Regardless of listening mode, I am certain I will never have a Road to Damascus experience listening to audio equipment akin to the conversion of Paul the Apostle.

But perhaps others have . . . :wink:

Again, I enjoy the hyperbole of audio enthusiasts.

5 Likes

Someone let me know that they had good luck putting the files on the drive individually. I’d also be curious if your track 2 is different in some way from 1 and 3.

Good experience here, I put 35 files on a stick. I use 3 play styles: put it on repeat for 4 or 5 hours of play; playing the first 30 seconds each track and forwarding to next; also selecting specific tracks using the remote (I have skipped track 1 several times to start at 2). I haven’t encountered any problems during approx. 15 hours of play.

1 Like

Same here. Loaded a full FLAC album on stick and played just like a disc. Was able to select and skip tracks with remote no problem.

2 Likes

I placed two CD recordings onto a thumb drive, which I used in my DMP for burning in purposes, and they played fine. I cannot get the second track to play on the new transport at all. If I select track two it jumps to track three and then back to track one then stops playing. If I place the thumb drive on repeat all it plays the first track skips the second track goes to the third track then back to track one and stops. If I try selecting other tracks it usually will not play the track I selected, but we’ll go to some other random track.

I’d put some songs on a stick if someone would be so generous as to put a few killer tunes in a Dropbox type of thing. I have yet to try the USB stick in my PST in the 6 or so weeks I’ve had it.

Hmm, I wonder what would happen if you took track two off. Also, maybe try a different stick. The USB reader in the DMP and PST are completely different so they are going to behave differently.

I’m using the PS Audio thumb drive I was sent for the DMP. I’ll try some other ones I have that didn’t work on the DMP I see what happens.

Through my beta testing period, there was one track in .WAV format that my PST just won’t play doesn’t matter what I do (put into different USB keys, burn into Data disk etc.) It played just fine on other device. So, I play the .flac format of same track on my PST.

Can anyone comment on how many hours the PST needs to break-in, and perhaps describe what changes and sound goes through during the break-in process? I definitely hear an improvement in some areas compared to the DMP, but the bass is a little over powering right now with 24 hours on it, which may require repositioning the speakers, but for now I’ll let the unit continue to burn-in.

2 Likes

i utilized more substantial bass traps. (GIK brand). as the bass clarity and resolution were indeed more prominent with the PST. my speakers are acoustic zen crescendo mark II. they are said to resolve to 20 Hz. and i here every bit of that i think with the PST. not so with the Prima luna cd player and benchmark dac 1 i used previously.

2 Likes

James,
There is one solid fact that I (a old schooler till I die) have taken from ALL these little quirks regarding the NEW PST.
Ladies and Gentleman; just pick out your cd or sacd from your collection and play it.
NONE of these quirks happen when you do that :))
IMHO
Tom - NJ

2 Likes

Well that says allot because with the DMP you will still get quirks doing exactly that. My DMP still does not always play a disk on the first insert. Most of the time it will but not always. So in that area there is progress with the PST

Six, my brother, this approaches where I suggested to He Who Shall Not Be Named that he should send his Unit back to the Mothership for exchange.

1 Like

Believe me I am working on that. I do have concerns about the comments I am hearing about the bass with the PST. My system has a good balance when playing both records and digital sources. If the PST is going to require speaker or seat repositioning, where will that leave me with the analog playback!

2 Likes

The bass seems to have settled down and smoothed out after 100 hrs of burn-in, while clearly being more impactful and digging deeper than the DMP. Good stuff!
Overall the presentation is more analog like and relaxed than the DMP, but not Earth shattering so, but I’m guessing the units barley broken-in yet.
The soundstage is also more expansive with better imaging than the DMP.

One slightly annoying thing I’ve noticed though. If the display is turned off, you have to push the remote buttons twice, once to wake up the display and then the second time to make your selection. Don’t believe that was the case with the DMP if I remember correctly.

I found that at about 75 hours the sound opened up being more defined at all the frequencies I could normally hear. The bass developed a beautiful roundness and it’s been all good SQ wise since then with CDs from the 90s that I’d dismissed as not worth listening to becoming fuller, more defined and more nuanced in SQ. In addition to which there was marked bump in SQ from the FW 2.1.6. upgrade.

2 Likes