Finally....PerfectWave SACD Transport

Sweet, this would be great!!

Any idea when the update will be released?

Great news!

My Harmonic Technology HDMI cable ā€œworksā€ with the new PST, but itā€™s a fussy connection. I also occassionally hear a light pop at the start and end of playing an SACDā€¦not anything thatā€™s troublesome, but worth mentioning.

I hear that little pop at times with any HDMI cable on my DMP and DSD combo. I think itā€™s inherent in the DSD format transfer in these operating systems, but I may be wrong.

Soon as itā€™s still in testing.

Those SACD pops that were audible with the DMP do not happen with the PST in my experience.

This has been my experience as well.

Are you getting any closer to pulling the trigger and ordering the SACD for a test drive?

No, I have no intention at this time of doing so. The more I think about it the more I realize $4k (after trade-in) is still a lot of money and PS Audio has a new DS Mk II and a ā€œBridge IIIā€ (unofficial name) coming out this year. Iā€™m going to wait and see what they are. I use the DS/Bridge II every day, the DMP maybe 2-3 days a week.

1 Like

Iā€™m stuck on the decision at the moment. I aspire to streaming or having a server ultimately, but Iā€™m bewildered by what combination of the ill-defined future offerings might make the most sense, and I canā€™t identify a pathway. Octave hardware with built in disc ripper? Some ā€œBridge IIIā€ thingy. DS Mk III? Wish there would just be one suite of mated components that would allow optimal physical disc playing, local digitally stored music, and streamed sourcing from subscriptions in the sky----accomplished with a minimum of redundancy in hardware and cabling.
@jamesh @Paul @tedsmith : Can you share a roadmap? I feel so lost.

I think it ultimately depends where you want to be. If youā€™re pretty set on having all of your files on a server and playing them that way, you should wait for Octave and the DSD MKII. If youā€™re more of a tangible media guy and want the best playback from your discs, Iā€™d definitely go with the PST, and eventually the DSD MKII.

Paul will have more info than I do about the Octave server. Iā€™ve heard too many things back and forth about whether it will have a ripper or not. The ā€œBridge IIIā€ will be an excellent streamer with I2S out, but it wonā€™t have any storage onboard.

Regardless of which avenue you decide on, it does seem like the DSD MKII should be a definitive future upgrade for you.

1 Like

Wait. Thereā€™s an Octave server and a Bridge III in the works? Or are we now referring to the Octave as the BIII? Regardless of the answer, if whatever PS Audio offers canā€™t take Ethernet as an input, and output to either the DS or DS MkII in I2S at better than DSD256, then IMO it isnā€™t worth it. All the features in the world doesnā€™t make up for not being able to use the DACā€™s best interface at its maximum capability.

Right. Octave and the ā€œBridge IIIā€ are separate things. The Bridge III simply being a streamer and Octave of course being a server.

Oh of course. Both will absolutely have ethernet in and I2S out. No question!

1 Like

Yā€™know, my west-coast MI bro - this has been my deal lately. I admire theā€¦Industryā€¦of all of the Products Planned and so on, butā€¦damn. :man_shrugging:t2:

And I have never been into the Bridge (bought my DSD without) and pretty much never spin discs any more.

AND this is though all reports are that the Spinner is the shizz. Butā€¦discsā€¦? I understand if you are still into them, and they are good from many viewpoints. I like hard copies of stuff.

1 Like

I have something like 2500 of them and they have to go. Not sure what Iā€™m gonna do with them yet. Iā€™m down to around 300 LPs (from 500 or so) but theyā€™re easy enough to get ride of, they still have value (even if some are just $0.50). The CDs are nothing but space wasters.

Agreed - particularly with the effinā€™ ā€œJewel Casesā€. In around 2003 I ripped all the Redbooks that I had to HD and primarily listened via Squeeze-ecosystem stuff from then on. Though I did continue in the main system to have CD and SACD players, and subsequent versions of multi-disc players from then on. But if you have a nice endpointā€¦ :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

At DSD256 or better?

I havenā€™t been given the specs yet so I canā€™t say for sure.

If I only had about 2500 cds I would probably rip them too. I have more than ten times that. . . and I love the physical aspect so no streaming etc. for me. I love my DMP. Will probably one day have the new transport if and when I can afford it.

7 Likes

Over 25,000? OMG so envious right now. I have less than 5,000.