First music of the day

More or less my intent with the Strictly Jazz Sounds thread was to pursue the genre, its various forms, and to provide examples that some here appreciate. Additionally, as an opportunity to share music that pushes the limits of the generally accepted, what ever that means, notion of jazz. As Elk mentioned some view the form as that recorded from the 1950’s through the mid 1960s, where the recording quality had improved to the degree that the music could be provided as Hi-Fidelity.

Many performers current and past detest the term, and find it condescending. I view it as a label generally at its best to benefit music promoters, recording labels, the press, and academics. For me it is no more than a marketing term, of which the music industry has many. At best a handy way to differentiate itself from Pop, Rock, and Classical music.

Regarding my approach to music listening, it is a journey with highlights in the exploration and delights in discovering new sounds and approaches to presenting music. Is it Jazz, I could care less. Is the music of Ornette Coleman Jazz, he wasn’t supportive of the term. Ornette opened the doors to a different way of expressing oneself musically followed by many players to this very day. Most of them struggle with the term and prefer other labels, which are no more than that, labels.

The key for the listener is to play what you enjoy and can relate to. For me the excitement is in the journey.

I’ll add this, when I think of the term Jazz, what comes to mind is the local Quartet playing at the Ramada Inn Lounge. Nothing wrong with that, but I want more, much more.

This is also an opportunity for me to revisit the reason why I initiated the Strictly Jazz Sounds, a perverse play on the term to strike up a conversation on Creative Music and what it means to the individual listener. Hopefully that thread can one day evolve into a bit more than a series of album cover postings, with no mention as to what that music means to the listener. I’ll admit I am probably the greatest offender in that regard.

Here is a link to the lead in for the thread:

Strictly Jazz Sounds ver 1

1 Like