First music of the day

Kenny Dorham Quartet (featuring Ernie Henry) “2 Horns / 2 Rhythm” Riverside/OJC cd

Ernie Henry–we should have had decades more of his music.

I like it because it sounds like what my dormitory mates and I would play, especially when there was hash.

1 Like

Each time I return to MJQ or John Lewis’ music I am pleased with it. I do believe he received considerable recognition in his day. Unfortunately he seems to be neglected in current jazz circles.

1 Like

The strongest recommendation. You have me seeking it out for a late morning listen.

A below the radar Quartet if ever there was one.

He’s a favorite of mine and I’m always surprised when jazz lovers don’t know him.

1 Like

Moacir Santos “Ouro Negro” Adventure Music 2 cd set, disc 1

That’s a great album. “Roll Jordan Roll” is a favorite of mine to play for the uninitiated. The smile that spreads across their faces when they first hear the bass vocal is incredibly fun to watch.

1 Like

I had forgotten about it, and came across it when sorting through a handful of my demo CDs. A fantastic way to start a day’s listening.

The new DAC has about 163 hours of play on it now and the bass is starting to really come in, tight with impact. I have just the right tube sets in place and the sound is excellent–detailed and dynamic with great nuance.

Right now
Jerry Garcia Live, Vol. 18, disc 2

Enjoyed disc one so much I am now moving on to disc two. A wonderful set.

1 Like

Listening to this favorite–this time the CTI Supreme Blu-Spec CD version–to see what it sounds like with this new, evolving in sound DAC. It sounds bloody good!

Antonio Carlos Jobim “Stone Flower”

New cd from the Necks.

It is a good one. Some of their previous releases bordered on new age.

Adam Rudolph and Yusef Lateef Go: Organic Orchestra In the Garden

2 Likes

Replaying this one from yesterday as it sounds so good–I dialed in the sound around it and Helen’s singing is a great start to any cay.

The last few years I’ve been listening to “late” Helen and neglected these reputation-building Mercury albums. They’re great.

Disc 3

Seems appropriate for a first morning listen, Ralph Towner At First Light.

1 Like

“London Brew–Inspired by Miles Davis’ Bitches Brew” Concord 2 cd, disc 1

Drums, Percussion – Dan See, Tom Skinner
Electric Bass, Double Bass – Tom Herbert
Electronics [Decks, Sonic Re-cycling] – Benji B
Executive Producer – Bruce Lampcov
Guitar – Dave Okumu
Guitar, Electronics, Producer – Martin Terefe
Piano, Synth – Nick Ramm
Saxophone, Flute – Nubya Garcia
Saxophone, Woodwind – Shabaka Hutchings
Synth, Melodica – Nikolaj Torp