First music of the day

Returning to Wynton Marsailis J Mood for a first listen this morning. Digging Marcus Roberts piano on the title track as well as the overall scaled back approach on the second track Presence That Lament Brings. Seeing the album of above, Mogwai young team, this listing has piqued my curiosity. Need to seek it out this morning.

1 Like

Marcus Roberts is the only pianist I have ever seen whose hands actually became a blur over the keyboard when I saw him with Ron Westray as a duo at Antone’s in Austin.

I was sober as a judge. . . and yet I still doubted myself. . . but my wife saw it too. Incredibly fast runs and yet no dissonance, no note out of place. Amazeballs.

1 Like

Marcus continues to bring me back to J Moods.

1 Like

I was denigrating J Moods this week, when I was actually confusing it with a previous album. It’s a good one.

I have most of Marcus Robert’s catalog. A true pianistic master.

1 Like

Thanks! You had me wondering! Yes Marcus is special.

1 Like

Yes, I had confused it with “Black Codes (From the Underground)” which I have not heard in a long time but really didn’t do much for me in comparison to the later material.

1 Like

I too wondered what all the hype was surrounding Black Codes as I too found it lacking.

1 Like

Those I know who really dug it were desperate for something like Miles-Wayne-Herbie-Ron-Tony. Well, it was something like that but NOT that.

1 Like

An old favorite to start off the day before chores take over.

Miles Davis “Relaxin’” Prestige/JVC XRCD mini lp cd

3 Likes

1 Like

What’s that, the alternative cast for Breaking Away? :wink:

1 Like

Heh. Slint, ‘Spiderland’.

The title, self explanatory, and a fine way to start a sunny Friday morning. I’m digging what Charles Tolliver and Joe Farrell bring to this Tone Poet Andrew Hill set.

2 Likes

1 Like

Snow storm this morning may have kiboshed my plans to see Rob Mazurek’s Exploding Star Orchestra this afternoon in Chicago. Snow plows have yet to hit the streets here. Apparently Chicago has only received rainfall over night.

It’s ugly, but rain and a few flakes, at my southwest castle (355 and 55).

Thanks, my plan was Corbett vs. Dempsey on Fulton St, West Loop, then Ukranian Village. Exploding Star Orchestra performance.

Past 100 hours of spinning time with the Mk2 and this one is both a good one to start off a Sunday listening to but also a well-recorded one with languid tones and subtle detail to be presented in the new way the MK2 does.

I think John Lewis is very underrated.

1 Like

I think he’s great. As a member of MJQ I think he’s gotten a lot of rating.