Floor Loudspeaker suggestions

I’m assuming from your comments that you have Maggies. Electrostats (like the Martin-Logans) are voltage-driven devices. In contrast, the Magneplanars are current-hungry beasts and require amps that can effortlessly deliver gobs of current. I’m not familiar with the Magtech amps, except to know that they were developed for use with the Sanders electrostats, so if you are running Maggies that could explain what you are hearing.

There are two types that Sanders developed. The ESL version specifically for Stats and the Magtech version which was highly recommended for Planars and dynamic speakers

Forgot to add this observation to timm’s comments. To my ears, the M-L’s with the larger electrostatic panels produce lower mids and midbass closer to what timm was describing with the 20.7’s I would have loved to compare the new ESL15’s against the Maggie 20.7’s in this regard. When I heard the 15’s, the midbass was one of the first things that struck me.

1 Like

I did audition 4 speakers today at a new dealer. Wilson Audio Sabrina, Martin Logan Impression ESL 11A, Dynaudio Contour 60, and the Magnepan 3.7i. I liked the Wilsons ( for a box speaker ) but they are past what I really want to spend.

The Martins seems nice, but THIN on the mids, too thin for my liking. The Magnapans seems so nice, but lack any bass really. I have a chance to listen to the 20.7 in a couple weeks. Maybe that will be the ones??

1 Like

Follow Paul’s advice. Find a speaker you like and then hang at least a pair of subs to complement.

1 Like

Did your dealer have the M-L 13’s or 15’s on hand to listen to? I’m curious if the increased radiating area produces a richer midrange and midbass in your opinion.

Also, with my Summit X’s I’ve found that I can control the character of the lower midrange via the bass contouring controls. Increasing the level a few db in either direction makes a significant difference. I’m not sure how the newer
M-L models address this, but it’s something to keep in mind and play with if you take another listen to them. If the dealer didn’t have them dialed in correctly, it would definitely affect how the mids came across.

The Maggie 3.7’s are a stupid crazy price/performance bargain. Maybe the best in high-end audio. They do need a pair of quick subs, though. I listened to a pair awhile back and there is a pretty steep rolloff below 40 Hz, so that bottom
octave is definitely MIA. I gave serious thought to going this way as I’d end up with killer sound for $10k or less while making it easier to optimize bass response and room placement in smaller rooms, but in the end didn’t want the added complexity of more
gear given everything else we had going on.

If you liked the Wilson’s, give a listen to the Acoustic Zen’s if it’s at all possible. They are less “boxy” than most any box speakers I’ve heard. There’s a 3 year old pair pair on Audiogon for $9,500.

Mail](https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986) for Windows 10

hey 1070, congrats on listening to a range of speakers. consider yourself lucky man…out in the sticks, where I live, ya gotta travel far and wide to hear gear. just made a trip to Upscale Audio - a short side trip from a Palm Springs vacay. but that’s another story…

i missed my Maggies while away for 2 weeks, and just settling in tonight to listen. but only at very low levels as family is sleeping. Funny thing about these Maggies (3.6R) is they are wonderfully engaging even at super low levels. no other speaker in my experience has provided this. so lovely. subs are turned off. can’t wait to crank them up tomorrow. recently added a tube preamp…

let us know your thoughts on the 20.7’s.

are you able to add 2 subs to your listening room? i’ve got a pair of REL328’s and love them. obviously would like to upgrade to the SHO series - but happy with these babies for now. my room is 15x30x8. i have the maggies about 9 feet out from the wall, and about 8 feet apart from one another. listening chair is about 8 feet from centre. slight changes to speaker placement result in pretty obvious differences. i’ve only had the Maggies for a few months, and I’m still tinkering with placement…new rugs and acoustic treatment are coming soon and the whole setup process will start again. fun!

Sully

I think the 20s are in a different league. Where u going to listen?

Hthaller. I read your review on Audiogon while I was shopping for speakers. Pretty sure it was you. Nice review of ml and Maggie.

Btw one other thing the 20s do well is depth and dimension. If you think about it - having the entire frequency spectrum as a rear wave - vs a more directional cone is a completely different paradigm I think. I do need to hear the new ML offerings though.

The mags made me think of my room differently. The room is the cabinet for them.

1 Like

Take 5 Audio New Haven,CT

I was wondering if I should consider the 3.7i and add a pair of bass panels vs the extra $ for the 20.7?

@darrenv1070 - that is where I bought my first audiophile system and listened to equipment THU evenings with a six of St Paulie in the high end room. That is where I was introduced to Nachamechi Dragon cassette player and Maggie’s… Bought my KEF 105-2 floor standing reference speakers there in the early eighties. Bought my Transaudio Oracle TT there. I grew up near there. Do you live near there?

1.5 hr drive north in MA

1 Like

Worth the drive, that is a great place. Get Modern or Peppie pie when you are in town. The Italian bakeries in NH are great. My wife was raised by a couple Italians first gen and her cooking is amazing. My wife had black hair green green eyes and 5’ 11” when I met her 36 years ago. She was adopted and her mom was 4’10” and everyone would say she looked just like her mom. She is half Italian/ Irish… that was funny listening to that… Long, long legs, dark olive skin with pearsing green eye… man those were the days…

There is also a Sound Labs dealer in CT, about an hour or so away. I play to listen next week.

North Canaan, CT

Yeah, T5 is not a PSA dealer or I would stop by and listen to stuff. I don’t want to waste salesmen’s time and I only go back to visit my mom every two years and clean my son’s tombstone in Oxford, CT.

So you live on the west side of MA?

I cycled up that way and also Limerock viewed. Take rte 7 all the way up through Kent, covered bridges beautiful. My wife had to pick me up in MA over the boarder on a cycling day up to MA… bike trouble. That area is beautiful. She picked me up past Stockbridge riding from Oxford, CT. Also, rte 22 in NY state is beautiful. You think you hit mountains till you live out west. I raced Mount Washington (ran) back in early 2007. That was 6.5mi at 13% all the way up… last 0.5 mi was 20+% ave, passed a lot of runners…

Yes I like Western and Central Ma. Eastern Ma is fun to visit. Too busy and $$ East.

North West CT is very nice too for sure.

My son is buried at the base of a mountain (17th century cemetery) in Quakerfarm area of Oxford, a spring runs past his grave from the top of the mountain, originating from his back yard, we owned the pond that flowed off the mountain. There is a 400 acre farm next to the cemetery. It is so beautiful. We go there the last week of SEP when the leaves are changing. Rte 67 and a covered bridge are very closed…

The frame design is more rigid on the 20.7s. The magnetic motor is also different for the quasi ribbons. You owe it to yourself to audition both and make your mind up.

1 Like