Forum members' careers

I used to do this for Cabs, Zins, and Super Tuscans before I got gout.

5 Likes

I never thought I’d say this, but it’s pinot noir lately.

2 Likes

I have lived in Oregon for over 20 years and couldn’t develop a taste for Pinot which is a shame considering wine country is 30 minutes from our house. We do however go to dinners that are served at vineyards with tables set up next to the Pinot vines. It’s a program called Plate & Pitchfork.

4 Likes

Just as long as the vines are there and know you love them…

3 Likes

I’m a 56-year-old self-employed (11 years) engineering consultant focusing on groundwater issues. After 20 years of working for engineering firms I decided to quit a perfectly good, well paying job and hang up my shingle. As I like to put it, I jumped out of a perfectly good airplane and hoped that the backpack I grabbed heading out the hatch had a parachute in it and not a bunch of stale Clif Bars. The landing was a bit bumpy the first couple of years but now I love my work and don’t have any plans to retire. Maybe move to half time in about 5 years.

Although I have been music-phile all my life, I only made the jump to audiophile about 2 years ago. Al is my audiophile role model (hmm, maybe I won’t be going to half time in 5 years…).

7 Likes

Great thread @Craig_Burgess i was thinking about creating the same thread after I posted about Brad the Firefighter in LA! I’m a career firefighter paramedic 23 years full time. December will be 29 years in the Fire EMS business. Located 1hr south of Milwaukee and 1 hour north of Chicago on the expensive side of the border IL. Just turned 50 this past December I now have the age and time to retire tho this hobby and forum has me working extra time because my pension won’t support my bad audio habits. Now I’m trying to figure out what the next career the next 20 years will have in store for me. I was thinking about moving to Colorado and getting a job at PS Audio so I could just get paid in equipment.

Great reading about all members here and thanks to all that served.

11 Likes

MEE and MBA (UC Berkeley). Worked in Paris (BNP), San Francisco (Morgan Stanley/Barra and McKinsey), and Brussels (McKinsey and BNP). Dealing room and wealth management.

I am very happy to be a member of this awesome forum.

7 Likes

We share the same alma mater.

3 Likes

Go Bears !

3 Likes

I’m a Global Product Manger for a cutting tool company (YG-1), responsible for all the indexable products. Well over 20 years with lots of experience from the largest of the large, but this is the company that will change the market

5 Likes

60 y/o, V.P. Investments, Merrill Lynch Global Private Client in NY and the Philly Burbs then took my book to Grand Cayman in the form of a Hedge Fund until I sold out to Citadel and retired in 2013.

7 Likes

45 year old that has taken over and continued a 3 generation RV business. Started working for my grandpa and father at age 10. By the time I was ready to graduate high school I wanted nothing more than to get away from the family business. So I joined the Army and was stationed with a infantry unit. Although I meet some great guys and learned a lot about myself. I realized the family business was not so bad :slight_smile: 3 years later I came back to the business and work my way back up. I have been extremely blessed. I’m hopeful that my son will continue on and we make it 4 generations!

10 Likes

After High school, served four years active duty Air Force. Got started as an audiophile buying nice gear at amazing prices at Mildenhall Air Base in England. Back in those days almost every dorm room had a nice system. I’m a 55 year old Mechanical Engineer currently.

9 Likes

I remember that Turntable from the cover of Stereo Review June 1986 American Audio issue. Very cool.

1 Like

Graduated Community College in 1994 expecting that it would lead into a Career in Canada’s bustling HiFi Industry. After failing miserably peddling my Resume’ around Southern Ontario to both Audio & Telecom Companies it was off to Kanata, Ontario for my first real job after College - RF Electronics Technician.

Since then I’d moved here to the U.S. twice (2000 - 2005 & 2015 - present). It’s been a storied 26 year career with many job changes (contract gigs mostly). I’ve been fortunate to have worked in both sides of the Electronics Fence. Manufacturing/Testing & Engineering. Spent many years literally under a microscope doing Surface Mount Soldering (mainly 0808, 0603, & 0402 sized C, L, & R’s).

Fast forward this slightly chewed up tape and I’m a “Wireless Engineer” working in IT now.

Will I still be doing this for the next 14 years ? Time will tell…“What A Long Strange Trip” indeed !

10 Likes

Currently a Principal Consulting Engineer at Nokia in their IP products group. I have done similar gigs at IBM, Cisco, and Juniper. In a nutshell, I’m a router guy, not the kind that works with wood. Worked on my first internet backbone network in 1995 when the links were DS3, 45Mbps. Undergrad in Mathematics from Waynesburg College (now University). Planning to retire the end of 2023.
Edit: I wish I could “like” every post in this thread with one button.

8 Likes

I have a BS in computer science. For the first 15 years of my career, I wrote and managed teams of software developers who built business software. Then I got the opportunity to branch into internet software development in the early days of the internet, again developing software and managing a development team. From there I migrated into software architecture, directing the design of the software that multiple teams were producing. Then I branched into cybersecurity which is the area that I am currently involved with, never a dull moment in this field.

Started my audiophile career at 13 when my uncle gave me his old hh Scott tube integrated amp, fm tuner, and sharp cassette deck. I’ve been upgrading that same system ever since.

10 Likes

63 year old Retired Mechanical Engineer. Worked for the Army for 33 years as a civilian. Started out in R&D, wasn’t right for me, then did Engineering support on wheeled vehicles (trucks) and the last 13 years was a program manager for purchasing construction equipment (found my niche). I’ve been interested in audio since I saw my first Lafayette Electronics catalog. Took me a while to get to the upper reaches of audio since I was tight with the wallet (still am!), but thanks to AudioGon I progressed quite well. In line with my engineering background I do like fixing things, though to my disappointment, I’m no good at fixing electronics, all those dead pieces of stereo equipment just couldn’t be resurrected. Now I’m pretty comfortable with life and music, just hope my ears still work for the next 10-20 years!

8 Likes

Electrical Engineer by education: BSEE - University New Haven; MSEE - RPI. Radar Platforms: B52, C5, A6, EA6B, F111, A6F; transmitters, receivers, AFC, post amps, preamps; Nuclear: gamma spectroscopy, neutron counters, preamps, amps, multichannel analyzers; Engine Controller design: Chinook (redesign); Navigation: inertial navigation: LN100, LN251, LN351, EKV… at present I manage a team of 30 Digital Technology engineers - R&D, design & development, and product support.

10 Likes

Welcome back.

Is the new “cottage” completed/have you moved in. :slight_smile:

2 Likes