FR 30 in da house

Nice. Congrats! Any photos?

Yes, good idea. I will send some tomorrow. Plowing thru my favorite discs with glass (of bourbon) in hand has the best of me now.

8 Likes

This is called the ‘burn in’ process. :grinning:

3 Likes

Excellent, thoughtful review. And very helpful for those considering these speakers.

Well done.

3 Likes

And you’re mentioning this from the perspective of being completely familiar with Magnepan 1.7i and Martin Logan, I look forward to reading more comments after more subtleties are revealed throughout time.

Congrats on the speakers and on having Paul and Chris visit.

Congrats! exciting to starting seeing these in the wild. Do you have any photos of the setup?

I’m curious for any reason why this is needed? The tweeter was too high for seating position?

Thanks

Still experimenting. My room is small, 10x14 and the drivers about 8ft. to my ears. Chris tilted the speaker down and we all liked it better. Whether that will remain the case or be the case in other set-ups, who knows.

I completely understand that a speaker “review” inevitably leads to comparisons to other offerings. I am,
as you say, deep in the knowledge of what the Maggie 1.7i can do, but it ends there. I haven’t heard a hybrid or
conventional speaker in my room for a couple years but those impressions still linger. Due to system and room dependency, I would never purchase a speaker without an in room trial, that PSA supports. The ultimate test would be to get a competitive unit in the room at the same time. A true test. I thought seriously about that but
got lazy. Fortunately, no regrets. I understand that a pair of FR30’s is in the hands of a respectable reviewer. Outside of hearing the speaker in your room, this source may be the deeper dive you seek.

So you’re testing the (announced as limited featured) mid/near field capabilities of the FR30.
I guess a forward tilting was not planned initially :wink:

On PSA’s request (a good one) l sent them a dimensional drawing and photos of my room with to confirm the FR30’s compatibility. They said we should be good, and we are. Prior to this Paul also indicated that you should have ideally 8ft or more from the speaker, and we are past that. I am still experimenting and undecided whether I will tip or not. These ease at which I could make the adjustment and still be solid was very neat.

2 Likes

How was the sound different before and after?

1 Like

Mazeltov.

Still waiting for the pictures.

The tilt is very small, about 1%. Paul was listening to Octave cuts and thought it put everything slightly in better focus. I didn’t do an A/B, just followed Chris and Paul’s tweaking. I will say again that this is the first speaker that made room nodes much less apparent.

1 Like

Was there snacks? I can’t fit the 30’s in my space, but I can snack. :peanuts: :peanuts: :peanuts:

Photos. With grills and without, and some other details…

29 Likes

More…

Processing: F9F96250-2D0A-47BD-9132-646BD74BAD5D.jpeg…
Processing: 58836B9A-937A-44C5-8DBC-A0A15BEFCC84.jpeg…
Processing: D0F57FA7-6E6B-4BD6-83D8-E816FF8ECDC2.jpeg…
Uploading: 73E69AD2-C038-4E32-993E-BF5C0B71C7AC.jpeg…

10 Likes

And…

11 Likes

You must have been through the roof excited that day. Congrats!