gapless on original Bridge

I think I have a simple way to add gapless playback to the original PS Audio Bridge (AKA Bridge I). However, my PWD is on loan and I need someone to test…

Jesus R

That’s amazing. What did you do? Dennis will be glad to try it for you if you contact him.

Email me at dennis@psaudio.com and I can check it out tomorrow.

Dennis

Paul, the solution is to keep the DLNA playlist on a computer or NAS and we can do this with the OpenHome protocol. Here is what you do:

1. Have the PS Audio DAC / Bridge I on the network ready to go.

2. Load Bubble UPNP Server on any computer in the network. When that is done open the configuration GUI and click on the Media Renderers tab, select the PS Audio Bridge I from the list, click the Create an OpenHome renderer check box and this will advise you that, “a new audio renderer… has been created…”. As an example for the Name enter Bridge, for the Room enter Bridge-OH. The -OH sufic will help you tell the original apart from the OpenHome version in the controller. Finally, click the gapless box:)

3. For a controller use BubbleUPNP on an Android device or Linn Kazoo on an Apple device. In the controller make sure to select the Bridge-OH renderer or whatever you named it the renderer as the Room in the GUI configuration.

Some advantages: BubbleUPNP Server can run on any computer and on most NASs. This solution will allow you to see the playlist from any OpenHome controller on the network. This solution will also allow for Tidal support.

Some disadvantages: Not a big deal, but you still need a real DLNA server application.

Try it out and let me know…

Jesus R

Dennis Kerrisk said Email me at dennis@psaudio.com and I can check it out tomorrow.

Dennis

Sorry…I didn’t see your post.

Jesus R

I will check it out tomorrow.

There is another way to play gapless on bridge I that has been posted about before, by me and several other people. Using Fopobar2000 and the Upnp output plugin, not the normal Upnp plugin. You set your output device to the bridge and play. It will play gapless. But alot of people don’t like Foobar2000.

Dennis

Dennis Kerrisk said I will check it out tomorrow.

There is another way to play gapless on bridge I that has been posted about before, by me and several other people. Using Fopobar2000 and the Upnp output plugin, not the normal Upnp plugin. You set your output device to the bridge and play. It will play gapless. But alot of people don’t like Foobar2000.

Dennis

I don't mind Foobar2000, but the UPNP plug-ins are a bit awkward:) This solution is completely neutral to the end user and can remain on indefinitely behind the scenes. It is not a server (despite it's name) or a controller...all it does is manage the playlist and add gapless support to devices without it.

Jesus R

Jesus,

Thanks I will check it out when I get to work tomorrow. I only have a bridge II here at home.

Dennis

When I try to set a bridge I up like this, the gapless check box is greyed out and I can not check it.

Dennis

The online instructions for BubbleUPnP Server say, under “Creating OpenHome Renderers:”

"gapless playback is supported when the underlying UPNP AV renderer supports it" (emphasis added)

B1 does not support gapless so I’m not surprised that it didn’t work when Dennis tried.