Gryphon Diablo 300 vs PS Audio BHK 300 Monos

Detailed review please

1 Like

Ps—Chris is a good guy

1 Like

I really like him too. He’s a fantastic resource for parts. He’s also a fantastic photographer.

Review - don’t expect much more then:

1. I didn’t hear a difference.
  2. It sounds better.
5 Likes

I don’t doubt people heard what they did, but one thing that might factor in is that I imagine the BHK300 was Demo’d using the stock tubes. So perhaps with one of the better performing tubes, the BHK’s might make up some ground. For me personally the BHK300’s are an end game amp, as there are other parts of the system that would benefit much more from upgrading or modding than moving to another amp.

3 Likes

End game is a fleeting concept for me but swapping tubes in the BHK 300’s can be an inexpensive and enjoyable bump for a few dollars. I agree that the cost/benefit ratio that mono amps bring to the party are not as large as in other components, but I guess that is the cost of doing the heavy lifting along with providing the sonic detail.

I bought a Synergistic Research outlet along with a carbon fiber plate that looks much like yours a couple years back. They claimed all the standard improvements,
enhanced by a gazillion volt cyro charge. All I see is a scorched medical grade Hubble outlet with a cool plate. Heard no difference. Madness.

3 Likes

running this one my self and i heard an improvement over the Oyaide / Audience i had previously not earth shaking but a little bit more cleaner in the bottom - this one seemed to just get hold of the cord better than ever before - although the audience grabbed to plug so hard it damaged them and audience had to do a replacement on the plugs

PS face plate no difference in sound what so ever …

1 Like

None of these are “Why would someone who has the opportunity to get an MBL not get an MBL?” not an answer to the question.
My impression at the Munich fair is that there are two groups of systems, MBL and others.

1 Like

If you have that concrete comparison experience, I certainly can say nothing against it, as I don’t have it myself.

It’s just, that in my experience during all the time integrateds were repeatedly marketed as on par with similarly ranked separates, it was not more than marketing. I didn’t expect this to change. But you heard what you heard and I take it as a fact for now.

I hope I’m not misunderstood, I don’t at all argument against Gryphon generally. I finally used their (or other brands) class A setups for half of my audio life for good reason at the time.

Knowing the characteristics of this sound and the differences compared to other alternatives on this level, just make me skeptic, when people talk of general superiority on the market of the one or other brand or gear. It convinces me more, when people can name, what for they prefer the sound of a brand or concept and are aware of limitations, strengths and weaknesses in comparison to the alternatives. Seeing a superiority absolutely and not only to their taste and priorities just proves a probable lack of knowledge of or preoccupation with alternatives to me. It’s always good to know and be aware what you get (and what’s more or less unbeatable) and what you don’t get to a level it could be.

I installed this two years ago. It was definitely an improvement, although it wasn’t anywhere close to a component upgrade. But everything counts, and given this powers everything else in my system, I’m glad I did it. Looking forward to your impressions.

1 Like

Al I feel your pain and we feel terrible that you have to sacrifice listening to reference quality Gryphon gear!

2 Likes

Did you also hear the full Gryphon amplification?
In my experience the class A magic manly happens when it’s throughout (not sure if Solution is). It’s really worth combining Gryphon with Gryphon. And I found that solid core cables as their previous and maybe even still todays Siltech rebranded cabling worked well.

1 Like

I’m not the right guy to ask about full Gryphon because I actually prefer a tube preamp like an ARC Ref6se. And as to the Gryphon amp sound my favorite was the now discontinued Constellation (except for its PC tower looks). For me that one hit the sweet spot between the slightly warm for my tastes Antileon and the cool for my tastes Mephisto. Just my opinion ymmv

But I wouldn’t kick any of them out of bed : )

They’re all much better than what I have for now haha

2 Likes

I think you have a pretty good assessment of available alternatives and Gryphon sound.

You will have to post a couple of pictures of the new Gryphon gear as the crane lowers it into place.
I think you better keep the rigging company on speed dial as I feel a full MBL stack is in your near future.

3 Likes

Al…you may need reinforced flooring just to support the weight of your new amps as the are transported across your dwelling’s floors…maybe even reinforced concrete for you basement floor… :innocent: all that concentrated weight you know…

Best wishes

1 Like

Everything matters, even the things in the wall with holes.

2 Likes

The THD input to our Powerplant is a high of 4% with an output of .2% to .3%. I have to wonder if this is as good as it gets. My power is stable at 119V, THD is max at .3%, there’s a dedicated 20 amp circuit, and my power cord routes for components are all very clean with no overlap with signal cables. I am beginning to consider that there’s not much more I can/should do with power.

Except of course to have a Tesla battery pack installed and run the house from it. :wink:

1 Like

How interesting vkennedy!
Just this afternoon I have ordered the exact same duplex assembly from Furutech as your picture…. I am expecting a sonic improvement from its installation when I get it. However I expect to receive it just after the 25th.
So I have to ask, can you please let me know how it sounds once you get it installed? I am super interested how it sounds. Thanks

1 Like

Just FYI, the Tesla Battery Pack DC-to-AC conversion could be rather noisy. Of course one could go from the Tesla battery pack with a rotating DC to AC converter with a nice sized flywheel and cap bank on the output. What the H377, add a tuned ferro-resonant transformer on the output of the converter as well.

1 Like