HDMI cables

My experience as well.

Just a bump on this topic. What to people like to use?

I am connecting an Antipodes EX server with the P2 digital output piece – so I have PSA-compatible I2S out over HDMI.

Assuming I can’t get the PSA stock or AC12 cable, what’s good?

WireWorld Platinum or Revelation Audio Labs have universal acclaim around here.

Call me crazy, I don’t think I’ve even spent that much on my analog signal cables. Are we still going with ‘the HDMI cable is less important because it’s a technically superior implementation?’ Anyway – anyone have experience with moderate priced (say $200 ish) HDMI cables?

I liked my Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 HDMI for $130 - until I heard the Platinum that is

You’re not crazy, it’s the rest of us, including me, who are crazy. :smile:

Probably your best bet is to wait until a used AC12 i2S cable comes available - but I could just be saying that as I have one laying around. :wink:

A very good upgrade over the PSA cables, including the AC12, imo, is the Harmonic Technology “Magic”. Not expensive and worth it.

You can occasionally find a WW Silver Starlight for $200-ish. I may have liked it a tad better than the Platinum. And if you want to go even cheaper the Pangea HD23PC Premier SE is no slouch IMO. I recently went back and forth with it and the WW Platinum and there was very little discernible difference to my 67 yr old ears. Heresy…I know! That’s why I sold it and decided to try the RAL.

Ron, I was enamored with the Magic HDMI for a while but went back to the AC-12 and it won’t come out now. Synergy is an important factor. The AC-12 gives me more in my system, and I’m not going to spend near the money needed for a WW Platinum 7 or the Revelation Audio Lab.

Chris, the AC-10 cable from PS Audio is good as well, if nycenglish or someone else has an AC-12 or AC-10 for sale at around 200 I think you might, like me, decide this is a great cable at this price point.

You know what’s better than the AC12 or AC10 is the cable that comes with the DMP. I have all three and the DMP cable is much clearer and higher performance unless your system is too bright or sharp sounding, then the AC12 might be better because it is duller and more forgiving.

2 Likes

Chris_y
I have an AC-12 and the PSA cable that came with the DMP. I’ll sell either or both. Let me know.

Lon
Like everything, it’s system dependent. In my system, the AC12 is very bright.

1 Like

I can definitely see that possibility. I use a “bass restoration” device that Decware puts out that I won’t be without now, the ZROCK2. It allows me to dial in just the right frequency balance for my system and the material. . . and with that my system choices all make sense and dish out the goodness.

1 Like

You can demo the WireWorld mid and high priced spread as well as the affordable (and good) Harmonic
Technologies and a few others from the Cable Co.
Decide for yourself with your system. After that, call me for a WW Platinum or a PSA DMP HDMI for a good cheap alternate.

Sadly Cable Co don’t offer that service in Canada. So I’m stuck with buy and try; a slower ad more expensive proposition.

Anyway, I have sourced a PSA cable and will probably declare that ‘good enough’. : )

2 Likes

The Cable Co has suspended their demo program due to Covid 19. And it seems to me I was informed that HDMI cables are not part of their lending library anyway.