HDMI (i2s) Cable Recommendation

I just got a PerfectWave Transport and GCD/M700 combo. I’m using an Audioquest Mocha HDMI cable to connect them. From what I can find online, the Mocha is a limited special version of the Coffee. It is being heavily discounted so it might be discontinued. The Mocha appears to have the same/similar specs as the Coffee but discounted to around $225 less. I like what I am hearing but I haven’t compared it to other cables. If you are thinking about buying a Coffee maybe try the Mocha first.

It is edge rate, not data rate, that is the primary factor in required cable quality. A good starting point for evaluation are Tributaries UHDP, Ethereal Velox, or Monoprice 18 GHz Certified passive cables up to about 3 to 4 meters. Anything longer then you should be using fiber.

Blue Jeans HDMI Cable works fine for me.

I’m amazed at how good the Blue Jeans FE-28s sound

Price is right too.

I use Nordost Blue Heaven HDMI cable between the DS MP and the DS DAC. I use Blue Jeans HDMI BJC Series 1 for a 15-foot long run between my computer sound card and the DS DAC… I am very happy with both.

never noticed a problem with the i2s cable supplied by PSA

2 Likes

I started out with the AudioQuest Mocha HDMI based on a number of posts saying how much a difference cable quality can make. I’ve only had the Mocha in my system for the two weeks I’ve owned it. I’ve run it 24/7 so the cable is pretty much settled in.

Today I substituted a high speed AmazonBasics cable for the Mocha. AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable This is just my inexperienced opinion - the difference was substantial. Everything sounded muffled. The bass was muddy and the highs were non-existent in comparison to the Mocha. I’m still in the Mocha cable’s return period so I am not trying to justify an expensive purchase. In fact, I was hoping I could return the Mocha and stay with the Amazon cable. The sound quality difference is too great - I’m sticking with the Mocha.

1 Like

AQ Mocha is presented as 4K certified…it certainly is expensive $200-ish for 1m. By the report of it sounds worthy of the investment. I don’t use I2S any more, the cable that shipped with my DMP I’m now using for HDMI video. My AC-12 HDMI are also being used for video.

Interesting. As I noted in the initial post, I have an Audioquest Vodka and purchased a similar length Coffee. I actually thought the Vodka was better. I was surprised and disappointed by this finding.

Something everyone should consider when listening to various HDMI or other type digital cables is that sometimes an INCREASE in jitter can be perceived as an improvement in detail. The cable PS Audio supplies with the DMP sounds great and I believe it is the cable that Paul uses in the reference system. Sometimes more is not necessarily better!

2 Likes

I have the WireWorld platinum hdmi .03M cable. It’s outstanding!

2 Likes

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus choice. I need a 1.0M length because I don’t stack DMP/DSD. Pricey ($1000) but I guess pretty much everything in high-end is these days.

I’m still using the original all silver PS Audio cable (HDMI AC12) and loving it. . . . I wish I enjoyed the current PS Audio cable more but I don’t. . . I really don’t like that one. One day if I’m feeling particularly flush I may try the WireWorld. . . but it’s not in the cards now and I am really happy with the connection that has been wowing me forr a long time.

The consensus seems to be that the HDMI AC12 was superior to the current wire which begs the question: What? Why discontinue the better one and replace it with something not as good? I’m sure the simple answer will be that the current one is better but I can’t find a single testimonial to that.

Well, the former one had been discontinued long before the DMP appeared. And I think the major reason was that silver was so high. . . the price was big and they weren’t flying off the shelves. The WireWorld everyone loves is silver and costs a LOT. (And they were accessories sold separately–they were not supplied with the PWT).

I happen to be someone who believes that cables matter and am willing to spend a pretty penny on the right cable.I did spend a pretty penny on the AC-12 which I bought with my first PWT and PWD combo. I’m reticent to spend even more on a WireWorld now. . . . Maybe one day. My next cable purchase should be one more VooDoo Cable Stradivarius Cremona or Amati single-ended interconnect. . . but I don’t yet have the cash.

I just sold an old Mc amp so, Wireworld, here I come------maybe. I too believe in cable performance but that much for an hdmi?
And I just looked up your interconnects! Didn’t Ted say that interconnects are unimportant with the DSD?

I don’t know if he said that or not, but I don’t believe he did. He did say he found (and I think designed) that the type of digital input connection was not that important with the DSD and I think he mentioned that he didn’t think there was as big difference between XLR interconnects as there is RCA equipped. I have found there is. . . between XLR and RCA fitted interconnects both. . . they make a big difference in my system. And I use two other sources and four other components than the DMP/DSD and can hear significant differences with interconnects. The VooDoo Cable I have set my system up with are very expensive. But I just can’t get past what they bring to the table. They really bring out the best in my system. I’ve bought most of them used, considerably discounted, either as demos from VooDoo thanks to the former head of the company (thanks so much Bruce!) or from fellow audiophiles.

The jitter in interconnects doesn’t matter as much with the DS as with other DACs so whether a particular interconnect works well on the DS isn’t necessarily related to how well it works on other DACs.

On the other hand how much RFI/EMI, etc. a particular interconnect creates isn’t a function of the DAC, nor is the groundloop current caused by any particular set of connections in a system. A system with a perfect DAC could still sound different with different interconnects.

Many have found that hooking up multiple connections between a source and the DS, e.g. I2S, AES3, S/PDIF and TOSLink and then switching between inputs while playing doesn’t show near the differences that they expect. In that case all of the interconnects are all sharing the same groundloops and similar radiation issues no matter which input is selected. Conversely to accurately compare cables independently you need to remove all interconnects that aren’t being used at both ends…

[Edit-] I meant to add that the grounding of I2S is usually better than other cables and that gives I2S a leg up on other inputs, if TOSLink has the bandwidth you need, it may well be the best input, and AES being balanced cancels out more common mode noise including the noise from groundloops.

1 Like

I am still using this HDMI cable between my Matrix D-to-D converter and the DS:

It set me back twelve big ones ($12.00 that is), but it was worth it, as it sounds spectacular!