HDMI to IS2 converter between Oppo 205 and MK2 for SACD/DSD playback

I just purchased a standalone HDMI to IS2 converter to use between my Oppo 205 and my MK2 for the purpose of playing my SACDs in DSD format.

After adjusting settings my Oppo, I connected a HDMI cable from HDMI (audio only) OUT on the Oppo to the HDMI IN on the adapter, and another HDMI cable from IS2 OUT on the adapter to IS2 (1) on the MK2.

The Oppo confirms that it is outputting DSD and I do indeed hear incredible sounding music coming out of the MK2. However…the input indicator on the MK2 does not turn green, it stays red and they’re in no file information displayed. I am assuming it should display DS 64. Additionally the left & right channels are reversed.

From what I’ve learned, the (unknown) manufacturer of the adapter did not follow the PS Audio protocols for IS2 and there are reversals in the HDMI connector that are causing the channel reversal problem. The lack of a green light and file info on the display could be a missing 5V on one pin.

Has anyone experienced this and rectified the issues?

1 Like

See my response in this thread for the channel issue. I2S output board for my Oppo 203 vs Bridge II ethernet for sound quality? - #55 by mscardina

I don’t have a Mk2 to comment on the display info.

It’s a UI bug that no sample rate/sample width, etc. information is displayed when the annunciator is red. That will be fixed in a future release of the UI. The green light means that something is plugged into the I2S input that closely follows the PS Audio I2S interface. There’s line used for sensing that a cable is plugged in that many non-PS Audio I2S sources don’t drive. Also, the 5V is driven by the DS DAC for use by the I2S peripheral, it doesn’t need to be used and shouldn’t be grounded, but otherwise has no effect on the DAC or it’s UI.

3 Likes

Did you find enhancement vs the RCA outputs?

The manual describes using the RCA outputs connected to an external DAC, thus bypassing the internal Oppo 205 DAC.

According to the Oppo manual, the only way to get DSD out of the 205 is through the HDMI connection.
This is due to copyright protection.

I’m not sure what all this means…
There’s line used for sensing that a cable is plugged in that many non-PS Audio I2S sources don’t drive. Also, the 5V is driven by the DS DAC for use by the I2S peripheral, it doesn’t need to be used and shouldn’t be grounded, but otherwise has no effect on the DAC or it’s UI.

So what do I need to do now to get the red light to go green?

What do I need to do to correct the L and R channel reversal?

Whether the light is red or green doesn’t really matter. It’s just an indicator about what’s hooked up. The DAC will play the same whether the light is red or green. It’s a bug that will get fixed later that the sample rate and sample width aren’t displayed when the light is red.

There might be a configuration of your source that swaps the left and right channels of DSD. It will be a feature of the Mk II at a later date.

2 Likes

I used to have an OPPO 205 and a Chinese made converter to connect I2S into DS. As I remember I need to turn a switch on the board to switch R/L. It has been a couple years so I don’t remember the steps anymore.

There was an old thread on this subject a while back.

@tedsmith any timeframe on next set of updates for MKII?

That’s out of my hands. I know that there will be a UI coding marathon in the next couple of weeks. But I don’t know when the release might be.

3 Likes

See my reply above.