Help, I am all (Network) thumbs

No dice. That link takes me to the page which is exactly where I started.

The problem is I can’t seem to figure out how to capture/translate the path and enter it in a form Roon will recognize. To make matters worse, the link on that page (https://desk.zoho.com/portal/roonlabsllc/kb/articles/faq-i-m-having-trouble-setting-up-my-nasn) is dead.

Thanks for chiming in.

My next step is to see exactly what the path looks like in JRMC and see if I can duplicate that with the Roon interface.

Cheers.

What happens if you put the path in Finder? You need to put your info into this:

smb://NASDRIVENAME/Music

Sorry for being so ill-informed but how do I put the path in Finder?

This is the path that JRMC correctly allowed me to point to and everything I rip now finds its way to this folder on my NAS and JRMC looks to this folder for the files that are stored there:

/Volumes/music/dBpoweramp Rips/

FYI/TIA

In the Finder on your Mac, choose Go > Go to Folder.

At least that’s how it used to work. It’s been a few years.

If I put the path in the Go to Folder entry field and hit enter it takes me directly to the correct folder and all of the directories/file folders for the CDs I have ripped since pointing dBpoweramp there are exactly where they are suppose to be. So the path is correct.

FYI.

But it doesn’t work from within Roon?

if I enter this:

/Volumes/music/dBpoweramp Rips/

Here:

I get this:

:man_shrugging:

Did you try?:

smb://NASDRIVENAME/Music

Not sure what my NASDRIVENAME is.

Would/could it be:

Ellis_Network

and are you suggesting I try smb://Ellis_Network/Music ?

*This is my “server”/network description as far as I can tell:

1 Like

Yes.

smb://Ellis_Network/Music

did not work.

Going to try:

smb://Ellis_Network/Music/dBpoweramp Rips

1 Like

Queue suspenseful music…

smb://Ellis_Network/Music/dBpoweramp Rips

also did not work.

I am missing something (obviously) and I just can’t figure out what it is.

Maybe something else with Roon needs to be toggled on?

Frustrating…

On the other hand, I am ripping CDs like crazy between futile attempts at getting Roon to point to the network. So I got that going for me, which is nice. (Credit, Carl Spackler)

1 Like

I suggest you do an @support in the Support section on the Roon Forum. Don’t forget to fill out as many of the questions in the form as you can.

I wish I could have been more helpful.

1 Like

Thanks for playing.

:smiley:

1 Like

Done…waiting…

1 Like

Check that the Synology NAS has the SMB Service enabled (Control Panel->File Services->SMB). The AFP Service is running as dBpowerAmp is using it to access the NAS.

2 Likes

Good call, I missed that.

Hey scotte1,

I also have a Synology NAS. However I don’t use Roon or JRMC but there’re a couple of things you could look at first and help us understand your set up.

Log into your NAS server and display the system menu. Click on the ‘Control Panel’ icon. Click on the ‘Info Center’ icon. You should see the server name as the first item.

Click on the ‘Network’ tab. Under (one of) the LAN adaptor headings you should see the IP address (and MAC address).

On the menu list on the right-hand side of the Control Panel, click ‘File Services’. This should show the file sharing protocol for which you’re set up. It should also show the file sharing character string you can use from Windows or Mac (Finder).

Back to the menu list, click on ‘Shared Folder’. This should show all folders shared by your NAS.

Let us all know what you find.

Last thing for the moment. The Unified Naming Convention is vendor-agnostic. Some OSes accept the backslash. Some don’t. I’m not familiar with Apple’s way of doing things but an example UNC for a shared folder in the Windows world is

\\NASServer\sharedfoldername\directoryname

You need to be wary of embedded spaces. Some apps will accept enclosing the whole path in double-quote characters. Other apps will accept replacing each instance of a space with the string ‘%20’.

2 Likes

@scotte1 Could you go to Roon’s Settings/Storage and click “+ Add Folder” then post as screenshot of that?
If \\Ellis_Network\music is not listed on the left, then click on the “+ Add network share” option and enter
\\Ellis_Network\music (yes with the backslashes even on the Mac. Roon understands them). Then enter the username and password you set for in the NAS to access the “music” share, and click “Add network share”. If this works, you should see the “dBpoweramps Rips” folder listed on the right, of the screen under “Folder listing”, click on the dBpoweramps Rips folder and then click on “Select this Folder”