Help, I am all (Network) thumbs

Will follow up this evening…

Thank you.

I will follow up this evening…

Thank you.

Not sure how to check this but will follow up this evening…

Thank you.

@scotte1 I just got this invite in an email. It might help if you can attend the meeting.

2 Likes

I received the same invitation. Thank you.

SEE

1 Like

I am pretty much a network numbskull so if plug and play doesn’t work right away I try to troubleshoot as you have but sometimes end up in the same boat. And not having to do it every day makes the successful method soon disappear from memory.

2 Likes

Jim:

Does this look correct/address your suggestion?:

Thanks,

Scott

No dice:

IIRC, I did not set a username or password; or set up a workgroup.

In any event, this screen/interface does not prompt me for UN or PW.

:man_shrugging:

So, here is the depth of my ignorance, how do I find/log-n to my NAS server? I set this up years ago, primarily for back up purposes and have never tried to use it to store and access ANY “working” files.

I would like to follow up RE: @MikeK’s notes.

To those intrepid forum denizens trying to help me save me from my ignorance:

Could my problem be related to this, “internet sharing” setting?:

It is probably worth noting that my “Time Machine” backup to the NAS work just fine, so I know the iMac communicates the the NAS (as also noted by the fact that dBpoweramp Music Converter is working just fine dumping the rips onto the NAS as well.

IIRC, I did not set a username or password; or set up a workgroup.

In any event, this screen/interface does not prompt me for UN or PW

I suggest you verify this. The unexpected error message is consistent with the share requiring credentials that are missing. And if they are required you would have to enter them on the “Add network share” screen, it would not prompt you outside of it.

1 Like

Have tried my standard UN and PW and made sure SMB is enabled. The network path is

afp://Ellis_Network._afpovertcp._tcp.local/music

I made sure the local network “music” volume is in the list of shared files:

I entered smb://Ellis_Network._afpovertcp._tcp.local/music

…and now the error message screen is:

smb://192.168.4.21/music
in the Network Share Location,

uname and password in the appropriate boxes (both on the streamer / Roon thing).

1 Like

I’m going in…fingers crossed…

Seems like progress:

…New error message (LOL)

2 Likes

Well, at least now you have eliminated your mac out of the equation. Now it’s something on the NAS.

Almost there!

1 Like

I think its a Roon issue. Its being persnickety in terms of mapping it to my little network. :man_shrugging:

Time Machine, JRMC and dBpoweramp File Converter were “plug and play”, when it came to pointing them to the NAS.

Computers are just to darned literal. :slight_smile:

Try it without the “dBpoweamp rips” bit ( the streamer dialog said directories / folders would be ignored, as I recall)

also, you are trying to mount from the Mac, or the NAS?
Would work best telling the streamer the location for the NAS rather than the Mac?
(and using the credentials uname / pwoed that the NAS has.

You will also then need to make sure the NAS is sharing to the streamer as well as the Mac.
(I’m thinking the Mac might not allow smb share of something it is itself mounting)

I may have misunderstood your layout, I’m late to this party :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am just trying to get the Roon Core software to accept/ping to a directory on the NAS (Ethernet attached) where I am storing ripped music files.

I have no streamer/per se.

Other program in my iMac see the directory just fine (e.g., JRiver Media Center and dBpoweramp Music Converter).

Thanks.

I did. This is the result: