House wiring / Power Port advice

@Paul: I am finally taking your advice on upgrading my audio power feed. I already use two Power Ports (PP hereafter) but am upgrading to 20A using 10 gauge wire. I currently have one Classe monoblock plugged into each PP and my Power Plant (for sources and preamp) plugged into one of those PPs.

Questions: are two PPs enough? Should I plug both monoblocks into one PP and my Power Plant into the other PP on its own? Or should each monoblock have its own PP (using only one outlet)? Should there be two 10 gauge wire runs per PP or just one run sufficient? Any other configuration that you can suggest? So many options, so little knowledge!

Thanks in advance, Dave

I think what you have is probably alright unless you have the ability to run separate wiring to separate PPs. Thatā€™s always best where each mono block and Power Plant have their own homer wiring going back to the box.

But if youā€™re just paralleling more PPs then I donā€™t think thereā€™s a huge advantage.

@Paul: thanks. I will definitely be running a separate run to each of my existing Power Ports and will plug a mono block into each one of these.

Sorry but just to be sureā€¦are you saying I need another separate Power Port and 20A wire run for the Power Plant? Or can Power Plant plug into one of the Power Ports (sharing 20A wire of a mono block). Or is Power Plant and mono block together a no-no?

Just want to get this right before electrician comes in.

Thanks in advance, Dave

Iā€™d hesitate to say itā€™s a ā€œno noā€ but if you have an electrical coming, then you have the luxury of doing it right. Now, the best solution is a single run with a single PP to feed a big Power Plant which then feeds your mono blocks. :slight_smile:

However, I see that the Power Plant is only dedicated to the sources. Thus, you want three runs and three Power Ports. Power Plants thrive on their own dedicated line if one has the luxury.

Thanks @Paul. Iā€™ll go with the 3 Ports and runs

On a separate issue: I have a DS Sr. and live in Canada. Will there be a ā€œtrade-inā€ / ā€œupgradeā€ offer for the coming TSS AND would it apply to we folk in Canada?

Dave

I would hope so but cannot guarantee it. Weā€™ll try our best. Don, who runs Canada for us, is really quite an agreeable fellow (though independent as are all our distributors) and weā€™ll do what we can.

Donā€™t mean to hijack this but do have a clarifying question.

I see the AC PS Audio PowerPort product but it doesnā€™t appear to have or meet the 2008 National Electric Code (NEC), which the International Building Code leverages, which many local building codes leverage; as mine in this case does; preventing the use of AC PS Audio PowerPort.

NEC Article 406.11 states that all 125-volt. 15- and 20-ampere receptacles shall be listed tamper-resistant receptacles.

Any idea when or if the AC PS Audio PowerPort will have a TR version available or suggestions to alternative that could meet the same goals.

A followup for @Paul: just finished wiring my 115-year old house BUT I only managed to get two separate 10-guage, 20A runs to two Power Port outlets. My third outlet shared two many runs to other outlets so stayed as is (likely 12-guage, 15A).

Again, I have two ClassƩ monoblocks and a P500 Power Plant supplying all sources and preamp. So I need three power plugs total.

My question: with only two outlets (four plugs) what should I plug in where?

• BOTH monoblocks into one Power Port and the P500 into the other Power Port?
  • one monoblock into each Power Port and the P500 sharing one of those Power Ports?
  • maybe even each monoblocks into one Power Port and P500 into the old non-10-gauge, 20 amp outlet?
  • some other config Iā€™m not thinking of?

Thanks in advance, Dave

Option 2

1 Like

I would keep both power amps on the same circuit if that circuit have the capacity for both amps. I wouldnā€™t want the current draw from the one power amp to affect the other components on the P500 which will be on the same circuit. You might also have one channel sounding a little different from the other. Just my opinion.

Sorry, grammar was badā€¦first bullet should have read ā€œbothā€ instead of ā€œeachā€. This was the option that @waymanchen11 went with.

Thanks to you and Brett (so far). Will be interesting to see how Paul or someone at PSA responds.

Dave

I would go with the first option. Both amps on one Power Port and the P500 into the other Power Port.

I would run the two mono blocks together on one of your dedicated circuits and use the other for the Power Plant and source gear.

Because of the potential voltage sag the source devices would experience if shared with an amp?

Shouldnā€™t the P500 make up the difference? Iā€™m not familiar with the P500 but I have a P10 supplying my entire setup.

I would try all combinations and listen.

Folks: thanks for all input. I will go with option 1: monoblocks in same outlet, P500 in other outlet on its own

Dave

My wife and I recently picked a lot, left a deposit and signed a contract to build a new home.

My current home was built in 1981, no dedicated run to my P15 and my system sounds awesome!

In the new home I intend to order a 20 amp dedicated line with a separate ground, to my audio room. Any other recommendations?

Get more than one, but you donā€™t want a 20 amp dedicated run, rather you want 10awg dedicated run(s).

An electrician will run 12awg for a reasonably distant 20amp circuit, 10awg is preferred for audio use.
Larger gauge would be even better but there are few outlets that can accommodate them and the cable gets more expensive rather quickly.

How many depends on your power needs but also think about separating devices on circuits so there is less AC ā€˜contaminationā€™. These should cost next to nothing compared to your total build.

1 Like

Hi brett66; reading your comments, would you advise pre- amps and amp on the one circuit and all sources on the other? (or perhaps power amp on one circuit, and the rest on the other?) - I am nearly ready to re-install my gear after a lot of building activities in the house. Now thinking how to power up the gear as correct as it can be. I donā€™t like lugginā€™ around stuff twice or more tooā€¦

Hopefully, all of your outlets are near each other so you can try different combinations.

Are your amp(s) power hungry class A or efficient class D? Do you have a power plant?

Ideally, get a power plant large enough to support all of it. Otherwise, if your amps are hungry either put them on their own circuit, or together, and source components on another circuit. Amps can pull the voltage down and you donā€™t want it to affect source components.

How about home theater gear? Future plans to grow/improve 2 channel. More circuits will give you flexibility. 4 is not unreasonable nor excessive.

I like to use the lowest amp breaker for the use, regardless of the 10awg wire. Reasoning being, if I screw up Iā€™d rather have a 15amp surge vs. 20amp surge (it take more than 15 or 20 to pop but itā€™s proportionally more with a 20). Be sure to either note the phase each is on, or ideally keep them all on the same phase. The electrician will understand this.

Thanks, Iā€™'ll follow your advise and do some testing. I am not into home theater.