How about a Wavestream update?

Dinosaur.

J.P.

My guess for both products…

IF WaveStream is released my guess is that we will see it in six to nine months. While I think that the odds are good for WaveStream it is still not a certainty.

If we see a replacement for the Bridge I would not bet on any time before mid 2015.

J.P.

I’m not really convinced there will be a Wavestream product, but if there is, my guess is for late summer/early Fall. I don’t believe there will be a Bridge II, but I do believe there will be a PWD Mk. 3 that uses something entirely different than the bridge as we know it. Look for it in 2016. End of crystal ball reading :slight_smile:

My guess for both products...

IF WaveStream is released my guess is that we will see it in six to nine months. While I think that the odds are good for WaveStream it is still not a certainty.

If we see a replacement for the Bridge I would not bet on any time before mid 2015.

J.P.

I really hope that it does not take 6-9 months.
If programmers should work on the WS on a continous manner for this long I wouldn't like to get the invoice for it.....

I’m not sure they are actively working on WS yet. Last word that I recall was they needed to get a revision to their own program (BitPerfect) out before turning to WS. That was some time ago so hopefully things have changed.

Any News out there???

it’s incredible…it’s passed so much time!!!

:-?

Maybe just try the Pink Faun I2S pci expres card in the mean time. Sort of wavestream and new bridge in one solution. Big improvement over the PWD bridge and PWT.

The only trouble at the moment is that lower samplerates are not working. But the work around is to let Jriver upsample to 176Khz and 192Khz. Works flawless like the USB input.

People who heared it playing were amazed about the improvement.

wijnand said: Maybe just try the Pink Faun I2S pci expres card

http://www.pinkfaun.nl/portal/productaanbod/dac-streaming-audio/1440-i2s-bridge

Two problems:

o- it requires a dedicated PC close to the audio rig
o- Windows only

:

When you say dedicated PC . Does this mean nothing else running or installed. List programs please.

Al

alrainbow said: When you say dedicated PC . Does this mean nothing else running or installed.

I mean you can't have a NAS hidden somewhere and a remote control, but you need a PC running Windows sitting in between and directly connected to the DAC.

If all your music is stored on that PC, you do not need anything else. The question is: do you want to have a PC with spinning disks and fans close to your audio equipment in the listening room?

A possible solution is to have a fanless case and SSD disks... Also, Windows usually needs a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse.

alrainbow said: List programs please.

What programs? Foobar2000 for Windows, for example.

Dedicated is probably better, but in this case I can’t hear an audible decrease in SQ when running several programs. You need a silent windows PC. With a solid state drive for the OS (windows 8.1 for example).

No need for solid state drives for your library, streaming over gigabit ethernet without skips or a decrease in sound. You need a one meter high end I2S cable ( HDMI)

Just wanted to mention that it’s pretty easy to set up a “headless” windows machine with windows professional or ultimate- long ago I posted instructions somewhere here on how to do that, no idea where they are now but I will try to find. Anyway I use windows remote desktop for admin purposes but also have J River set up on each pc in the house so it serves as a client which controls the zone on the server that streams to the PWD. So really all a user has to do is fire up J River or J remote and it controls the server, no need for having a keyboard/monitor/mouse connected to it. There are a few glitches yet in J River’s implementation of this, the most annoying being that you have to set up rules in the windows version of J River to make it default to the “there” zone unless you want to manually select the zone each time you play something, but it works well enough and is easy enough to use to keep my wife happy, which means it’s pretty good. :slight_smile:

Maybe just try the Pink Faun I2S pci expres card in the mean time. Sort of wavestream and new bridge in one solution. Big improvement over the PWD bridge and PWT.

Did I read this correctly? I can understand it may be an improvement over the bridge, but over the PWT? I find this hard to believe. PWT is the gold standard for me.

Tomorrow I will buy the Pink Faun for my win PC. I will compare the SQ with my bridge and my PWT. I will report about my impressions here.

Did I read this correctly? I can understand it may be an improvement over the bridge, but over the PWT? I find this hard to believe. PWT is the gold standard for me.

It is probably only under certain circumstances.
I must say I don't own a PWT, but I have auditioned it a few times and the PWT is better than the bridge, but not that much better.

The Pink Faun card in a special build PC with special selected components is in an other league.
In my case the PC is fed by a P10 and I use a high end I2S cable.
I'm sure the Pink Faun can't reach the PWT SQ installed in a noisy old PC.

@wijnand What is the HDMI cable that you use?

I cannot comment on the pink faun. But I can say the bridge and the bridge are close. And in some cases the PWT beet it. I sold the bridge yea. No more agrevation. And my off ramp although it comets me about 2700. All in. Beats all else with the Pwd. In fact it brings the dac up a couple of levels. It make sit a really good dac. As the Pwd does not do dsd and neither does the offramp. I just have converted the dsd 128 or 64 to wav to flac no compression. I use the p10 with it in multiwave and the truth is , it sounds really good. Now given Paul, I hope I sneering the end of working on a magic box to solve the jitter issue and hopefully upgrade his PSU as well. Now with the offramp it solves the jitter at least enough to make a really good dac. Now if he can improve the PSU as well I think he is on to a Pwd mk 3 .

Al

I use one of Pink Fauns I2S cables 1meter their second best.

Other cables I’ve tested are Kimber HD19, Monster 1200HD and some stock cables.

There is a big difference!

wijnand said: I use one of Pink Fauns I2S cables 1meter their second best.
Other cables I've tested are Kimber HD19, Monster 1200HD and some stock cables.

Do you prefer the Pink Fauns cable? Or do you have to use it for other reasons?

I wish I could buy the PSA HDMI cables when they were on sale, but unfortunately they were for the US only...

If Pink Faun had Linux drivers, I would begin to think about building an ultra quiet high-end PC box, but a bare thought of Windows makes me shudder… I hope they will come up with something for Linux, because it’s an obvious choice for such devices, especially headless.

Bob said: windows remote desktop for admin purposes

Yes, this is the only choice but still ugly…

One huge advantage of Windows is a couple of great applications. E.g unbeatable foobar2000.