How about a Wavestream update?

@alekz

No they all work, but I prefer the Pink Faun for SQ.

By the way Pink Faun has build a special Server with their bridge running Jriver on windows 8.1.

It has a ultra high quality linear power supply. No fans or other noise makers.

There’s no need for a mous a keybord or screen. The only connection is with an Ipad or Iphone.

wijnand said: The only connection is with an Ipad or Iphone.

No Android? They are joking....
wijnand said: The only connection is with an Ipad or Iphone.

No Android? They are joking....
My fault!
For example I meant. :)

Ah… ohh… Ooophh… OK :slight_smile:

Today I had the pleasure to stay, together with Wijnand, for about five hours at Pink Faun/Triple M in Rhenen, Netherlands. The people at Triple M are very kind, they took every time needed to introduce me to their ideas concerning digital audio. I’m not a technician, so I can’t repeat what they explained to me. My way of believing is hearing it, of course.

In their sound room a complete Pink Faun chain is set up. Starting at the power distribution, followed by their own streamer ( as Wijnand already said this is actually a dedicated win8 PC with a linear PSU and it runs completely fanless), feading a two unit DAC, connected to their preamp which drives the Pink Faun speaker system, which is a set of 4-way horn speakers incl two four channel amps (class D for the low frequencies, class A for the mids and the tweeters) and all cables needed. The complete setup is worth 40k€…

To start at the beginning I have to admit, that I’m not a horn fan. Since almost forty years I’m listening to dipols; I like them, especially my Genesis 2.5 which I own for more than fifteen years now.

Anyway, the system was at least able to make even slight differences in the setup audible. And I have to admit, that there were differences between the sound of my old Win7 PC and their streamer, there were differences between my entry level PSA HDMI cable and their 400€ cable (which marks their entry level…), there were differnces between my PWD and their DAC and there were differences between listening with or without the preamp in the chain.

To make a long story short: I ended up with a new HDMI input on my PWD. This one replaces the second I2S input of the PWD. The difference is, that this one uses optocouplers and works single ended. Although one might think, that differential mode is always better, the guys at Pink Faun decided after serious listening tests to go the single ended way.

I decided to stay with my PC (for the time being), so they build their I2S bridge into my PC. I couldn’t resist buying the HDMI cable. I could easily resist to buy the DAC, because I really like to SQ of the PWD. Maybe it’s due to the long time I’m living with this DAC and the many hours of “playing” with it…

So, I’m a happy camper being able to listen to streamed music via the I2S input of the PWD. Although it is slightly changed I believe, that even if you use the original PWD-I2S input, the sound will be at least 95 % of what I have at home. If you stay with the original input, they have to change their bridge to the differential output mode. Wijnand has this version at home and the sound he gets out of this bridge convinced me to do what I did today…

It’s not up to me to recommend anything, especially if this means that there are some changes to be done with the PWD. For those of you who are kind of fed up waiting for the bridge-improvement ( whether it will be WaveStream or bridge II) I could at least encourage you to spend the 280€ to test the improvement using the I2S input of your PWD for streaming. Yes, you need to run a windows PC if you want to go down that road, but at least I my opinion it’s worth trying it.

Once again, thank you Wijnand for introducing me to that idea. I appreciate it.

@aliaswolf

Great summary of the day Wolf. It was a pleasure to share the day and to see that the modification went well. I will make an appointment to get the modification (the galvanic isolation) on one of my inputs and try a second bridge in my pc for a comparison.

I took the Pink Faun streamer home, for a comparison with my own special build PC. I feel so lucky that my own PC outperformed the Pink Faun streamer.

I think the Jriver version (18.194) on my PC the internal solid state drives and the processor temperature are the key’s that made the difference. Playing from my own PC I don’t use any ethernet switches, cabling etc.

It’s straight from the PC to the PWD.

I also liked the PWD’s sound better than the Pink Faun dac. The ++ for the PWD were the soundstage and sounded more natural. The Pink Faun dac has more body.

The comparison with the I2S cable made de biggest difference today. I thought it was the PC audio AC12 I2S with the entry level I2S of Pink Faun. I think we were done with this comparison within a minute the Pink Faun cable added body and soul to the music.

So now I’m very curious how the Pink Faun I2S will sound whit the PWT.

I am too. How much was the cable ??

Usd.

Al

@ALRAINBOW

Not sure in Usd.

It costs 400€ 1meter. And 500 hours of burn in time!

The first hour a new cable sounds 95% and after an hour it will go down and down and up and down :smiley:

@wijnand

Which Ethernet cable you are using between the PWD and the PC ?

Thanks.

I can’t find the pink faun HDMI cables on their website… How do you order one?

aliaswolf said: Anyway, the system was at least able to make even slight differences in the setup audible. And I have to admit, that there were differences between...

My point exactly. If you can't hear the difference, then either the system is not transparent enough, or the measurement tool is not up to scratch, or you are measuring something completely unrelated :D

BTW, didn't you ask about plans to write something for Linux?
I can't find the pink faun HDMI cables on their website... How do you order one?
Send Jord an Email and ask about the IL-I2S cable if you like to order the same cable Wolf and I use. This is the entry level I'm not sure how the even better cable is named.
It's better to copy the Email adres to your own Email program. I've had trouble using the online one.

http://www.machmat.com/triple-m-music-mind-emotion/how-is-ted-coding-the-fpgaact-info-locatie-openingstijden/neem-contact-op/triple-m-audio-shop-rhenen-utrecht
@wijnand
Which Ethernet cable you are using between the PWD and the PC ?

Thanks.
I'm not using ethernet at the moment, but when I do, than I like the Cat6 cable's in short lenght the best. I also have the audioquest Vodka's these open up the sound even more, but maybe a bit to much for my system as it is right now.

BTW, didn't you ask about plans to write something for Linux?

Right, i didn't. Only thing I know is that their own streamer works with win8.1. So I guess that this is the preferred route for them. But feel free to ask them directly via mail.

Is there anything more frustrating than reading posts about how great Wavestream sounds while simultaneously getting the total silent treatment on any progress or possible release to the incredibly patient hoards of bridge purchasers?

lstack said: how great Wavestream sounds

I did not notice that. Killing unneeded processes on the Bridge "sounds" more interesting. Moreover Wavestream can't (yet) play hirez.
lstack said: how great Wavestream sounds

I did not notice that. Killing unneeded processes on the Bridge "sounds" more interesting. Moreover Wavestream can't (yet) play hirez.

Alekz, what do you mean by "Killing unneeded processes on the Bridge" ?

Thanks.

Alekz ventured into the abyss… And he danced with devil.

In other words he experimented with the Linux OS in the bridge and changed some of the runtime protocols. At least that’s what I think he did. Can’t remember if was a foxtrot or a chacha…

@lstack Sorry, I responded on a couple of other threads. This forum is maddeningly confusing to find anything. The BitStream guys are working this week on WaveStream and hope to be able to tell us next week how much time each of the two version will take to finish (Mac and Windows). Could be any answer from a couple of hours to a couple of weeks, or they’re so screwed up we recommend starting over. Hard to say until they report, but I am betting on the hours answer.

On other fronts we have two wonderfully working Bridge 2 candidates in the works. One we’re actually listening to and playing right now. We’re waiting for the final leg of it, our old friend gapless. We’re told by the designers we should have that code in hand within two weeks. Should that all happen on time (and it never does), we can start laying our the PCB to house the module and perhaps be in X testing next month, depending on schedules.