How about concert photos?

Good to see concerts in some genres are going ahead :slight_smile:

Sadly, I read today the the 1.5 Billion quid earmarked for the arts in July in the UK remains unallocated here in October due to the complexity of the application process (standard Gvmt trick - see also disability benefits).

Worse than this, it seems to be aimed at theatres and concert halls in the main, and the vast majority of freelance staff (engineering, FOH, Rigging, etc. etc.) and musicians are ineligible for any help anyway.

Basically, any type of arts (or any other) employment is only protected if it is something that those in power understand, so that’s mainly white collar office jobs and maybe the odd orchestra only.

We need more musicians, artists, (and scientists!) and “alternative” people in government.

Note - admin - NOT intended to be political, this is the sort of thing going on in many places under many flavours of gvmt.

3 Likes

Ray Vega’s Latin Jazz Quintet
City Hall Park
Burlington, Vermont
October 17, 2020

6 Likes

Mike Stern, Leni Stern, Chris Minh Doky David “Fingers” Haynes. Another great concert today.

4 Likes

Magan Esfahani tonighr. A wonderful recital.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Pandit Jasraj was one of India’s greatest classical vocalists. He died at 90 last August after a 75 long year career. I was fortunate enough to attend and photograph a master class he held in 2006.

2 Likes

Does Del only let Barry keep two stings on his bass? :thinking:

University of South Florida Percussion Ensemble playing instruments by the Mexico City artist Pedro Reyes. Pedro makes unusual one of a kind percussion instruments fashioned from guns that the Mexican Army recovers during drug cartel seizures. Instead of “swords into plowshares” it’s “assault rifles into marimbas.”

6 Likes

Pavel Kolesnikov played the Goldberg Variations last night, we also had the Shostakovich Viola Sonata and a Brahms Trio.

Had Steven Isserlis on Monday (first night post-lockdown), Angela Hewitt tomorrow, Royal Ballet and Ultima Vez later this week and Mitsuko Uchida next week. Things are looking up.

4 Likes

Place could do with a lick of paint though :smiley:

1 Like

IT was a warehouse for about 60 years, then Thomas Barnardo turned it into a poor school in 1877. It closed in 1902 and was untouched until 1990, when they opened it as a museum, much as it was, probably needed dusting. The concerts are effectively in the attic, under a pitched glass roof with fairy lights. It may look a bit tired, but the acoustic is fantastic. Managed to get about 100 people in under Covid restrictions, two performances each evening.

3 Likes

Yes the pitched roof must help - a good space for live acoustic instruments (I like the “untouched” look) :slight_smile:

Waiting for Scarlatti.

Wigmore live stream starts in a few minutes.

3 Likes

Covid Ballet - 10 minutes to kick off and a bit empty.

2 Likes

whilst this is good for avoiding the “miasma” of someone else’s breath, that can’t be financially viable for long :confused:

They seem to be operating at about 30% capacity. Live streaming has been financially very successful. The dancers have received furlough payments. Francesca Hayward has turned herself into the most in-demand fashion queen. She’s the little one in this pic.

Live streams seem a rather better than the “find a job in a different industry” option proposed by our illustrious leaders :slight_smile:
The Glastonbury live stream debacle last weekendwas hopefully a blip!

Our no. 2 ballet company’s first post-Covid programme last night, English National Ballet. Not very impressed.

1 Like

More waiting … not much to read

1 Like

Hope it was a great concert, Mitsuko Uchido is one of my favorite contemporary pianists. I bought most of her Mozart cds on the Phillips label many years ago.