How much power power does P20 draw itself?

How much power does the P20 consume regenerating
Power from the wall output? I’ve noticed my power bill has gone up lately and wonder if the P20 has anything to do with it.
Mike

Based upon the specs, the unit is >85% efficient. The use of the P20 is costing you 15% more than the stereo alone.

Let’s assume your stereo draws 1kW and is on for 24 hours straight. At 15% waste, that’s 0.15kW of wasted energy. I’ll assume somewhat expensive electric rates at 0.10 per kilowatt-hour. That would be .15kWx.10/kW-hrx24hr=$0.36 per day in extra energy for having the P20 do its thing.

BTW, the math isn’t perfect. Real life is much more complicated but this give you an idea.

The stated standby power consumption for North America is 35 watts so very efficient at rest. The draw for your equipment wouldn’t change coming through the P20 unless I’m missing something. Is your AC working harder lately I know ours has been and my bills are over 30% higher this year.

It probably is my AC my bill is up 30-40% higher this year. Looks like maybe a AC tuneup would help I’ve not had that done in 17 years. Dam it why does Audio always come before the more important things that need to be done ?

Yes, you are missing something…all Power Plants consume power dependent on the load being drawn from them. So whilst you might have 35 watts being consumed by the P20 with it plugged into the wall, with nothing plugged into it, if you have 1000 watts worth of connected components (for example) the P20 is sucking 1200 watts from the wall to do that. That missing 200 watts out the back end is being turned into heat inside the P20.

In other words, the P20 is causing your home power meter to whizz around slightly faster than would be the case without it.

But purchasing a $10,000 MSRP device should not cause one to worry about a few dollars more power usage, should it?!

I do the same thing, I believe it’s called tripping over dollars to pick up pennies.

You’ll really save by replacing your 17 year old HVAC unit. They have become significantly more efficient in the past 5 years or so.

Just keeping itself running, and my BHK Pre; 300 mono’s, DS & DMP in standby, my P20 consumes 224 watts according to it’s front display. Or, 17% capacity. So my electricity bill is higher for sure, but the total investment was huge so naturally I’d want it to be in “top form” 24/7 and for this, I HAVE to keep the system in standby when not in use.

I kind of agree that one should not bitch about these few extra dollars (rands in my case) … if you have a system worthy of a P20 this expense shouldn’t worry you. And if you’d like to contribute to our “green planet”, install solar. :grin:

For me - living in South Africa - this power consumption issue is even worse. A few years ago we had load shedding at least once a day; and it seems likely to be implemented again very soon, with our utility (Eskom) on the brink of bankruptcy and collapse - with critical maintenance on the grid being neglected for years. Even without load shedding, I experience power cuts regularly due to emergency maintenance (the only kind that seems to be done on our grid).

So to be safe, I have to spend even more on a decent double conversion, sine true online UPS with enough batteries to keep me going for a few hours. In double conversion mode, the UPS functions thru’ batteries 24/7, so IT TOO is around 80% efficient. This increases my standby power being used from 224 watts to 350 watts.

Edit: My incoming THD is between 2 and 3%, with the P20 reducing this to 0.1%. However, according to the P20’s meter, the incoming THD is reduced to only 1% (+ -) with a 3Kva double conversion UPS in front of it. So, here is a “Pro Tip”: If you want to improve your sound quality on the cheap, spend a few bucks on hardwiring a UPS in your DB board. It is not a P20 of course, but a decent model does improve power quality substantially! [Depending on your utility of course …]

In case of P3, the unit is never off. The standby circuit is fed off the same transformer that feeds the re-generator output power stage, meaning everything is on at all times, except outputs being galvanically disconnected via relays and re-generator itself being off, or maybe not. Not sure why it was made this way, normally power stage is off in similar equipment. It uses less when auxiliary equipment power is cut, but still, it could use even less.

And change your HVAC setup in the winter. Much better pricing from the HVAC contractors.