I2s or RCA?

Hello all,

I have a Sony UBP-X700 ( yes ive seen the thread with the I2S hack), Classe SSP300 and an Australian Monitor AM1600 (yes its about 30 years old). To get the highest quality sound, should I try to hack the secondary HDMI on the x700 and get a DAC with XLR out? Or use a RCA to XLR adapter to connect to the amp? The disk drive has COAX and the 2 HDMI outs, the preamp has everything but HDMI or XLR, the amp is XLR only.

Thanks guys for your patience.

Get the adapters, and get an I2S HDMI Compatible DAC. Choice of DAC depends on your budget. I use the HDMI for connection to my AVR and the HDMI “Audio Only” feeds the adapter boards.

1 Like

found this.

1 Like

nk you! My doh should have thought to experiment.

1 Like

That’s the one Paul. Just check that the L & R are not swapped. If they are, then you’ll need to open the box and solder in the little blue I2S to HDMI board.

The box is a much cleaner solution. One person on the forums even had a box thermal printed to fit the boards !

I’m not sure that’s possible. There’s a pic there of the inside of the box and it looks too tight. I wish now id spent more time inside the foum looking

1 Like

Or flip your analog L & R Channel cables. I’m not trying to be funny but that’s what some folks have done. Provided all your source material is coming out from your DAC.

1 Like

I2S is meant for silicon to silicon, PCB traces, on a PCB board. It’s not meant for anything other than that. Most audiophiles refuse to accept this reality.

1 Like

Welcome :slight_smile:
Well yes, and SCSI was designed for max of a few meters, until buffered low voltage differential was standardised, and then it could do runs over 20 meters (may have been more, it’s been a while) - standards evolve and are pressed into service in ways not originally intended, and tech is all the better for it (usually) :slight_smile:
If we had to design every new interfacing standard from the bottom up there would be less innovation - Folks used to say “IP over everything”, now they say “everything over IP”, being able to layer new innovation on top of existing standards is a Good Thing ™.
It does lead to issues sometimes of course, and it is a shame it uses HDMI cables etc. but HDMI cables are plentiful and cheap, a new dedicated connector standard for buffered external I2S would have involved a lot more expense and may not have taken off at all, just a shame folks sometimes try and plug it into their TV :wink:

1 Like

Thanks all for your help. I hadn’t looked into hi fidelity information in decades and had never heard of I2s. Plus my income has taken a hit 2y ago. Still i have the equipment above and wanting/ trying to make it work. Currently I am looking at DACs. My list of needs isn’t easy to fill as i’ve said. Currently looking at the Sabaj D5. I have seen parts of the posts that PS Audio has another in the works but chances of it being in my price range of under kl $500 is no chance. I think *Paul McGowan said $20k?

Topping D90 you might find in the $500 range. People have said good things about it.

2 Likes

Or even a Topping D50 as the Classe AV unit only has line inputs.

That one I have been watching. But most dacs out there don’t have xlr out, and i2s, and high end sound. The d 90 has that but all on ebay are over 500. I’m looking at a Wyred4sound at 312 at the moment, and missed the sabaj D5 for 400 with shipping. I’m wondering, even though I know I won’t be able to afford it, if the new PS audio DAC will have xlr out. Having multiple of the same input would be a bug plus. 2 optical, 2 coax, thinking if 2 I2s could be a plus as well.

Meanwhile back in reality still scanning eBay finding new brands most models not being desirable.

Dutcher
IT Director

1 Like

I’ve already decided to split the system. Classe to be used for surround (yes I know it don’t support the latest greatest) then audio only. That’s why thinking several inputs a good thing. And the classe don’t have xlr out and the amp is xlr only. If this wasn’t the case I might not even look for a DAC. Maybe…

Paul Dutcher
IT Director

1 Like

I ended up purchasing a W4S DAC-2. It has some sort of update but no DSD ect. I have done a lot of reading on several sites. I have read that aKm based dacs are easier to get better sound out of assuming that all else is equal. I know other things are also of vital importance im just talking ESS VS AKM.
To that point the analog section of the DACs seem to be where the most research and "artistry’ seem to come into play. So i’m thinking since the DAC i just bought has the Analog board seperate from the input and chip section I’m thinking I am going ot see if I can just get a newer version of that section and try that update. I know W4S offers upgrades but way out of my price range.

1 Like