iFi iPower "audiophile" wall-wart

I use these, and they are on sale. They are ugly, heavy and I can’t vouch for the specs but at this price in the US they are definitely worth giving a try. I power my network switch and an external eSATA hard drive, where it has been particularly effective.

http://www.parts-express.com/power-supply-regulated-3-12-vdc-2a-6-way--120-536

That looks interesting, especially for less than $20. While not a ‘low noise’ power supply, it may be better than the typical switching power supply. I don’t care what it looks like, if it works well then it works for me.

J.P.

I’ve also wasted money on these items. Two burned out, which according to the specs listed were perfectly matched to the device used. Junk.

@eldrick It’s a pity you had all these problems with yours iFi Power 12V. I would like to share another experience this time with a iFi Power 5V used to feed a Raspberry PI3 with DietPI configured to minimize the consumed energy (Wifi OFF, HDMI OFF, power save mode drive the CPU to its lower profile). I use the IFi Power 5V in replacement of two others standard wall PSU and the improvement was huge to my ears. Clarity and a bit of transparency, in any way I would like to return back to the stock PSU. May be the comparaison with a linear PSU would change my mind thought…

Well, I’m going to give the iFi iPower a third shot (yes, I’m a glutton for punishment).

This time it’s for a Roku Ultra - the original version with toslink audio out. In contrast to my previous Roku 4, this one comes with a 1a wall-wart, so the “1.8a” 12v iFi shouldn’t be stressed.

Also, with Redcloud, my base system is now far more revealing, so perhaps some improvement in TV sound will be noticeable.

Any news, good or bad? :grin:

Well, it hasn’t burned out yet, but I didn’t really note any difference in sound.

There is a good review of external powersupplies on YouTube from [
The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0GbPNN7v8c)https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR4tuhqPppVp-PD0q17sPEA

I don’t understand this at all. Either you’re running these wall warts to their max or you have extremely bad luck with them.

I have a total of three of ifi’s power supplies, two of which I’ve had for well over 3 years now, and still going strong. The first one I bought for my Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB Reclocker, the second one for a Google Chromecast Audio. The third one I’ve had for about 6 months and came included with my ifi S/PDIF iPurifier.

With both the W4S Recovery USB Reclocker and Chromecast, there was a notable improvement in sound quality. In fact, shockingly so. My brother has been using the W4S Reclocker/ifi iPower in his system for well over a year now with no issues. And we’ve been using the Chromecast/iPower in our bedroom system for well, over three years with no issues.

As for the iPurifier, well I can’t say anything about sound improvements since that is the only power supply ever used with it since it was shipped from the factory with an iPower.

And lastly, I’ve never had any issues with the connectors being loose or flaky.

The first two died because they were overrated, and I ran them at their rating - a 2a Roku. Third one didn’t make it even with a 1a Netgear switch.