W4S server into I2S

Can the I2S output (via HDMI) of the Wyred4Sound music server be connected to the PWD2 (HDMI input)?

Has anyone tried this? Looks like a nice server / ripper. I2S is a bonus.

I believe the answer is yes, but NativeX will not work.

frode said: I believe the answer is yes, but NativeX will not work.

And THAT is a big deal!

Thx guys. Agreed, that is a big deal. I’m surprised no-one has tried this out. I might give it a go anyway.

Wired and Sonore both tried but the X factor still remains a mystery.

I could bluff a guess as to why but I would be reaching in the dark.

Gordon, when the MKII upgrade came out and our server’s i2s output was not compatible with Native X there were two options to fix things.

1. Convert the Sonore server to USB output with an SOtM card and use the PWD MKII’s new USB input.

2. Convert the Sonore server to USB output with an SOtM card in combination with an external Sonore USB to i2s converter.

Our customers were split 50/50 on the upgrades, but I think we were able to make everyone happy one way or another.

BTW We now have our most advanced i2s output to date in our network player and I’m looking for a volunteer in the USA to test it with Native X. It should work, but it needs to be tested…

Jesus R

I hoped you would be in here somewhere.

I’m always up for more pain. Otherwise there is no gain.

I’m in Montreal but still 2nd day fedex.

I have to say though that I do not have a Sonore to test it on though.

Are you looking for someone who has one already?

Gordon, yeah I hang out here:) What are you using as a UPNP/DLNA server? Are you Mac or PC? Are you iOS or Android?

Jesus R

IOS and OSX, PWD MKII firmware 2.0.2 Bridge 2.13c

Mostly playing by ethernet to the Bridge but also hooked by USB.

Hi Jesus, I live in California and would help test this if needed.

Right now I have both Mac and PC systems up and running with EMM and J River through the PWD II and bridge. The Mac system has now been setup as my main music library with the PC being used for testing configurations with J River and a smaller library for EMM for those times I want to quickly add a new album for listening. The PC s also connected via USB into a Teac UD-501 for headphone listening as well as DSD streaming via ISO files through J River and Foobar.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

T

T, thanks for the offer. I’m working out some details with Gordon so we can get him a unit to try.

Jesus R

Update on the wyred 4sound server (ms2) into the PWD II via I2S over HDMI. In a nutshell, I can’t get it to work. Not just NativeX, we’re talking anything via HDMI.

It works ok over optical (toslink), but the sounds isn’t great compared to what the PWD II is capable of via the bridge. Also, the ms2 can function as a ripping NAS, and send audio to the bridge that way. A slightly more recessed sound this way, when compared to my Mac mini server.

The golden egg of i2s over HDMI from the ms2 remains elusive though. Anyone got thoughts on things I should try? I will probably try emailing wyred 4 sound to see if they can help as well.

@vortecjr

Did you get kidnapped by Manatees? :smiley:

I used to live on Sanibel. They were like our pets back then.

He said manatees! One of my favorite critters.

Wyred tell me there is an updated digital i2s output to accommodate the PWD II i2s input… Hope springs eternal.

Wyred tell me there is an updated digital i2s output to accommodate the PWD II i2s input... Hope springs eternal.

The WFS guy is a former PSA employee, so he might know how to solve it based on the information openly given.

The guy helping me is Clint, is that who you mean?

The guy helping me is Clint, is that who you mean?

I think it was Rick Cullen working at Cullen Circuits (PSA subsupplier) together with EJ Sarmento who then created WFS when production was outsourced. I might stand corrected on this one.

As an update, Clint at W4S has advised the ms2 can be upgraded to be compatible with the PWD II in nativeX with i2s over HDMI. The upgrade is $250. I’m gonna go for it, but turn around is likely to be 20-30 days. I will report back when I have tried it out assuming all goes well. [-O<

@frode You are correct.

Patrick Cullen is Cullen Cable - Rick Cullen’s son. Cullen Circuits - Rick Cullen’s company - was instrumental in the development of the PS Audio Gain circuitry among other things. At one time Cullen Circuits performed amazing upgrades to many PS Audio products: phono stages, amps, power conditioners, DAC’s, etc. I once owned a Cullen modified PSA phono stage.

Rick Cullen is now with W4S.

Patrick is www.cullencable.com - a great guy who builds some of the best buys in truly outstanding power & IC cables. I own some. Christopher