iFi LAN iSilencer

I’ve used fiber optic cable between the Roon Core in my NAS to my streamer with great results (galvanic isolation).

I got an iFi LAN iSilencer yesterday, and at $89 with 30 day return policy it seemed like a reasonable experiment.

I played three tracks that I often use to evaluate a component or tweak. “Easy Money” by Rickie Lee Jones, “Poetry Man” by Phoebe Snow, and “Bar and Grill” by Joni Mitchell. I’m very familiar with all three and can easily detect differences if something changes.

I heard the high frequencies more clearly, as if a haze was removed. I could more clearly imagine that the sounds of the instruments were coming from an actual instrument of appropriate size and in a specific space. Finally, it was easier to make out the lyrics being sung. In no way did I detect a change that was negative.

I threw away the packaging as I knew I wouldn’t want to return it and enjoyed the improvement through my normal jazz listening for the evening. It may not work for everybody, but it sure does for me.

Non-scientific | Confirmation Bias Possible | No quick ABX testing Capability | No measurements

7 Likes

If you think it’s better then it is better! :grin:

1 Like

Would you mind sharing where you place the iSilencer in the signal chain

TIA.

It’s in the Ethernet port on the DSD Mk 1. Thought I’d eliminate any noise from the 1m Cat 6 cable from my router as well.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

I had exactly the opposite experience with the iSilencer - nothing improved and I started getting a lot of dropped streams. Removed the iFi LAN iSilencer and the problem went away. I’d call it “iffy” at best :o)

I contacted iFi Customer Support twice for any data supporting their performance claims. They assured me they had it and would send it. Six months later, I have nothing from iFi and they Closed the ticket today.

I conclude that the iFi LAN iSilencer is pure snake oil with no supporting performance data, and far more likely to do harm than good. My recommendation is to avoid the iFi LAN iSlincer as you would COVID. Your mileage may vary.

I don’t recognise this at all.
No drop outs either
In my case, it brought a big improvement.
That’s why I bought a 2nd one.
It seems to me that you have a broken one and I think they should replace it.