iMac Alternatives (Digibit Anyone?)

I am looking into alternatives to my iMac as CD ripper and music storage device. The computer is old (@2007), the disc drive eats CD’s and does not want to eject them, and I can’t get the darn thing to stop going into sleep mode while streaming to the PWD (yes, I have set and reset all of the energy and screen saver options over and over and the glitchy thing always shuts off after 20 to 30 minutes).

Does anyone have any experience or informed opinions about this product?:

http://english.digibit.es/images/pdf/aria_music_server.pdf

It really looks appealing to me because of its built in cd drive and apparent SSD storage capabilities.

Best regards.

Nice looking machine.

Bit pricy and I think this year there will be a ton of new and affordable music servers launched. Take a look at Auralic too.

here is a link to a bunch more.

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/HD_players.html

gordon said Nice looking machine.

Bit pricy and I think this year there will be a ton of new and affordable music servers launched. Take a look at Auralic too.

here is a link to a bunch more.

The Well-Tempered Computer - Music servers

Thanks. I am having trouble finding a machine with a drive and network streaming/storage (internal or external) capabilities WITHOUT a DAC.

I like streaming to the PWD - best digital sound to date in my system - using my home network, and I don’t want to pay for functions I don’t need. Please let me know if you have come across any other magic boxes out there that are similar to the pending Digibit in their configurability.

Thanks again for the Auralic suggestion, though (and correct me if I am wrong, but their gizmos don’t appear to have cd drives).

Regards.

The problem with “all in one” machines is often they do not do all things well unless the $$$$ are excessive.

I’m sure something great will be released in the near future. Everybody is looking for it.

I would prefer external hard drives and ripper which are more easily upgradeable and add less noise inside the box.

Why not just get a new iMac?

The Wyred4Sound servers are nice one box solutions, quiet and have i2s output that sounds wonderful with PS Audio gear. A bit expensive maybe, but well worth it IMHO.

audiobill said Why not just get a new iMac?
Not a bad idea...however, the "home office" is on one end/level of the house and the "man cave" is on a another, and includes the cable modem/router and gigabit switch network equipment. I thought there might be an advantage to having the ripper and server/network equipment (wireless or otherwise) in the same room with the rest of the kit.

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I’ll rethink the new iMac.

Regards.

PS

Anyone else…keep the suggestions coming.

stereophilus said The Wyred4Sound servers are nice one box solutions, quiet and have i2s output that sounds wonderful with PS Audio gear. A bit expensive maybe, but well worth it IMHO.
Will the W4S server(s) do wireless?

I can’t tell at first glance on their web site.

No wireless. There is an Ethernet port for a hard wired network only.

scotte1 said ...

Does anyone have any experience or informed opinions about this product?:

http://english.digibit.es/images/pdf/aria_music_server.pdf

It really looks appealing to me because of its built in cd drive and apparent SSD storage capabilities.

Best regards.

Bumping this thread…anyone have any “skinny” on the Digibit product(s)?

Thanks all.