Interesting Articles

1 Like

She has a lovely voice, nice technique.

I am however not favorably impressed with the amalgam of music influences exhibited in the video.

1 Like
1 Like

An dreadful situation.

1 Like

Agreed. An unanswerable question I’ve pondered for years; how many great songs are never created because musicians and songwriters have to change or choose different careers simply to put food on the table?

1 Like

A question I have asked myself many times with respect to all art forms. What have we missed?

Michaelangelo had patrons and commissions. Otherwise we would not have his art. What have we missed when others could only try to produce in poverty?

1 Like

This is exactly why I advocate for a Universal Basic Income with no conditions.
Effectively we had that in the early 80s in the UK and there followed a glut of new music (incl. Oasis and Blur and all that lot).
Now - it’s only kids of wealthy families get a chance (for the most part).

My advocacy falls on deaf ears amongst many who appreciate such music, which makes no sense to me.

An intriguing concept.

If my money is really going to craft art I am for it. But cynically I expect many will just take the money.

I am instead in favor of posting commissions. It is incredibly satisfying to write a check in exchange for a new piece, painting, or statuary. The problem here however is the artist needs to be successful enough to garner the commission.

Difference is I can happily live with that - UBI would not be a lot (dole in the 80s was barely beans on toast level subsistence) the commission bit comes after some folks have learned a craft, some will get sick of beans in toast and get a job, and some will be happy to subsist and keep their time for themselves.
Sounds like a good setup to me, and maybe expedient if the promised automation revolution develops.

1 Like

Interesting idea and you present it well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you - maybe I should run for Prime Minister.
Maybe not :slight_smile:

1 Like
5 Likes

Your Mind is an Excellent Servant, but a Terrible Master - David Foster Wallace - YouTube

An article in a video!

“Between 1960 and 1980, 48 percent of number ones had at least one common person get both a songwriting and production credit. Between 2010 and 2020, that percentage had risen to over 99 percent.”

2 Likes
2 Likes

Music, and I use that term loosely, is now composed, also used loosely, by one of two guys worldwide, or by committee. That’s why it all sounds the same. My girlfriend played a contemporary country online stream and the music was indistinguishable from the pop songs apart from slight country vocal inflection so obviously fed through Autotune. Art is now product and I weep for the culture.

And by the way, I love Turning Japanese. Perfect one hit wonder.

2 Likes

Yep.

This is a 5 year old video, but still relevant The purps are outed starting at around 7;35.

An interesting look at the state of pop music.

1 Like