Is anyone using a Innuos Zen Mini, Zen Mk 3, or Zenith as a Roon server/core?

Is anyone using a Innuos Zen Mini, Zen Mk 3, or Zenith as a Roon server/core? If so are you using it with a PSA Directstream DAC? I’m also curious if you are using a Matrix spdif with the system? Thanks for any input.

1 Like

No Roon server/core here. I though it slightly degraded the sound. Supposedly Innuos is coming out with their own app, Spring 2021. I do use a Phoenix and am quite satisfied with the improvement. Not interested in the Matrix, too many add ons, additional boxes, cables and what-not to get the most out of it. Others, Bootzilla, have different preferences, I don’t like the look of all the clutter. I am running a ZENith Mk 3 to a Phoenix to a DSD DAC, Windom. Data cables are WW Platinum 7 USB. Interconnect is an Audio Sensibility Statement Silver SE XLR. My next upgrade might be a different XLR.

2 Likes

I have been using the Zen MK3 for a couple of years as a Roon Core. Use the experimental mode. If I had the DSD DAC I would happily use usb. As I have Devialet Expert I use the Ethernet output.
I heard the Innuos upnp app was imminent.

1 Like

I’ve been using a Zen MK3 for about a year now with a DSD and Matrix. It’s been a positive upgrade for me, though did have a fair bit of software problems with the Roon core initially. Required several remote tech support with INNUOS but all good and fixed. I really like it.

2 Likes

I’m using a Mac Mini as my Roon core/server and while visiting a local Innuos dealer he said I would here a substantial upgrade in sound quality using either a Zen mini or a Zen mk3 for my roon core over the Mac Mini.

I switched from a Sonictransporter i5 to the Zen MK3, and for me the difference was significant. Not that I didn’t like the sonictransporter, it’s a nice unit but it’s just that the Zen is in another league. I still have the sonictransporter. I should probably sell it.

1 Like

I have a custom built fanless Linux box, sorta like a SonicTransporter but with Optane, LPS, etc. It sounded really good as a Roon Core and endpoint. Then I bought a Zenith 3 and replaced the Linux box with that, the Zenith was better.

Then I tried putting the Linux box back in the system as a Roon core and kept the Innuos as an endpoint only - that config was much better than all before it. Moving the Roon core to another room was a further step up in SQ in my system.

1 Like

Yes, using Mk3 Mini + LPSU as my ROON Core direct into my DSD Jnr via it’s bridged Ethernet & it sound better to my ear (+ others I add) than from my PW Transport to the DAC via Is2. Seems to be a more fuller, richer sound…which you would expect from the transport…maybe?

1 Like