Is there a new CD player in the development pipeline?

@Paul - “FR30”?

So, PS Audio wouldn’t mind to abandon the PS Audio I2S interfaces we have on our PS Audio DAC’s?
Not a move many PS Audio DAC owners are going to like.

My WAG is that the AN3 name will be reserved for the top flight speaker. But I thought Hillary would win in a landslide too.

1 Like

Where did you get that?

Not too many sources of SACD drives left once TEAC stopped selling to other manufacturers. I know Luxman & T + A make their own, excellent drives.

I must have misunderstood what you were trying to say here.

What exactly do you mean to say then?

It sounds to me like a different I2S protocol will render current existing PS Audio I2S Inputs NOT compatible, and Stellar DAC owners can not just download new firmware for their DAC’s.

Above I attempted to answer part of Famavolat’s question from yesterday. There IS NO different protocol, AFAIK. Not sure why there would be, but he was asking if the i2s protocol would be the same. I said I wasn’t sure about that - and that is ALL I meant. I’m sure it will play i2s to DS DACs. How it does that, or if it is identical to how the DMP does it, or if it will work to every other device that the DMP plays to now - I have no idea.

As mentioned elsewhere by Paul and Elk: “PS Audio has sourced a drive manufactured in Japan manufactured for D and M holdings who owns Marantz and Denon.”

Should be good. I think dcs uses D/M CD/SACD transports, Thanks.

get your act together, will ya, Bub?

3 Likes

Probably should be FR-30, and the FR stands for Full Range.

Thanks - good move. This is now fully a PS design rather than an Arnie, seems to me.

P.S. - you wake up too early, man! ; )

Much better name. More forward looking / thinking than relying on the past.
Most people have no idea how early new product development changes lanes and even roads depending on things that become obvious only after other discoveries.
I say that you can only accurately predict the future for 5 seconds or less. :wink:

I am a bit puzzled by the naming philosophy of the PS Audio top of the line equipment.

With the BHK PRE, S250 and M300 named after their chief designer. Although I can imagine it took more than one person to get to the result.
Why not have the Direct Stream stuff named after Ted Smith, future signature phono stage after Darren Meyer and these speakers after Chris Brunshaven. And if not, why were those amps the exception?

BHK’s are the only things named for their designer.

Like I already had noticed, hence my question: Why?

Pretty sure the only one in this list named for the designer is the BHK. There is not a lot of thought or meaning put into the naming of anything else. Don’t overthink it.

The move from “AN”, representing a designer to “FR” = Full Range is about as deep as it has gotten.

I’ve been lobbying Paul for a while to name the upcoming M1200 amps “DM1200” to follow your concept, but so far it hasn’t gotten traction.

2 Likes

Rogue just released a stereo amp with a similar concept as the M1200 using the NC500 modules.

Ummmm, what about TSS Obsidian DAC?

Lucky then the DMP was not named after its creator.