Is there a new CD player in the development pipeline?

Pls try out the MusicBrainz route. It works. I stopped using PS audio’s meta data interface long back.

Only sometimes u may face glitches because of network issue. Resetting the router can address that.

The other benefit of using MusicBrainz is that once u update the meta data there other servers can also use the same. My Uniti Core (Naim) uses the same. Roon uses the same too (though Roon takes almost a day to sync).

Regards,
Sourav

2 Likes

That’s interesting and I bet a lot of people don’t know about or don’t have the patience to make it work using that method.

That’s true. It is little more work to put the metadata in MusicBrainz. But once u do that u can use the same in multiple servers/systems.

This way one can to dome extent ensure that he is not getting locked with vendor specific MetaData management tool. Or move from Music server from one vendor to another without the need of recreating the metadata tagging again. Also one can reuse the tagging already done by others. More open systemthan vendor lock.

More and more music servers are adopting/using MusicBrainz and FreeDB for metadata.I know Naim, dCS, Roon and surely DMP.

Regards,
Sourav

I don’t understand that delay you are experiencing. I go to play list update cover art and text. Insert the CD or SACD into the DMP it push play on the remote. it starts to play and downloads the track list and cover art. It will sit on the detail screen unless you either push the on button on the remote or reload the disk. Maybe you are not pushing the on button which causes it to switch back to the first screen. Once the cover art exists in your playlist it will come up whenever you load the disk without delay. Does it work exactly as it does on the PWT no with the PWT it loads much quicker from the website on the first attempt and once it is resident on the SD card it will load even with the ethernet disconnected from the PWT. The DMP will only load cover art when ethernet is connected even when the art is already stored on the SD card.

1 Like

Well I am not using PS Audio’s Paylist interface to insert the metadata. Instead I am doing the same in MusicBrainz. DMP searches for metadata there in MusicBrainz (along with few other music databases) when u insert a disc and if u have not added metadata in P S Audio’s Playlist interface.

I am using MusicBrainz so that not only DMP but my other servers (like Roon, Naim’s CD reaper/server, etc) can also leverage the same meta data.

As I explained in another post the delay is surely not because of DMP’s fault. It is most probably because of the lag MusicBrainz has before it makes the meta data available to be consumed by the other servers. My Naim server (Uniti Core) also shows the metadata with a delay of similar timeframe.

Regards,
Sourav

Two general subjects:
1- Why does anyone really need all of that metadata? For a CD player, display of that is superfluous: you have the information on the CD package. Making a CD player that displays metadata needlessly increases the cost of the player without improving the performance.
2- The PS Audio original concept for replacement of the DirectStream Memory Player was for a CD only player. The design and manufacturing requirements for a disc transport that can play both CDs and also the SACD layer of hybrid discs is considerably higher than that for a CD only player. Too much extra capability for a small amount of use.

On point 2. The concept was driven by the fact they couldn’t buy a SACD optical reader at a PS friendly price point. They since found one so the concept was adjusted.

As far as cover art and metadata go it is important to me as PS Audio got me addicted to it with the PWT and next with the DMP. It is something that would not have mattered to me if I never had it but now that I have I really like it. Especially when I record a record to CD and I can add the cover art and track list so It looks just like the CD’s and SACD’s that I play. I spent the most of a summer getting all my CD collection scanned into and datafilled in my Playlist. So yes for those who don’t use it it doesn’t matter for those of us that do it does!

2 Likes

Perhaps for you, but not for others.

2 Likes

I too like album arts, I spent much time to have album arts in every title in iTunes as I use it to rip every CD I purchased. I love to be able to carry my music anywhere I go. On my mobile device Album art is important as it makes it so much easier to find music.

For single CD’s or SACD’s which I just removed from their cover, like you said I don’t necessarily need that function, but if I bought the CD/SACD has it it simply has to work.

The functioning of that feature is the real issue:

Too many have reported on this forum to have paid a lot of money while not being able to make it work reliably, even after contacting PS Audio’s customer services and PS Audio admitting in the applicable threads that they don’t know why these people can’t get it to work.

This equipment is way too expensive to take a risk for finding out that such features don’t work after you paid for it. I for certain would not pay anything for equipment of which I have read on a forum that it has features that may or may not work properly.

Apparently it is rather too expensive for PS Audio to design a reliable system that locally stores the album art and reliably and timely bring them up once the matching disk is inserted.

If it is that difficult it is not worth the extra cost and annoyance for equipment that can only play a single disk which has just been removed from its cover which you can position anywhere visibly in your room or hold in your hand.

1 Like

Now that I am aware that the screen on the DSD adds noise to the system, especially when on, I favor no screen at all. Just make an app for it, I prefer the screen be in my hand on my phone or iPad.

5 Likes

With the code changes implemented by Barry Solway the cover art is working well with the exception of still requiring the internet to be connected even once the cover art and track list are stored on the SD card. In that way the PWT was better.

2 Likes

I also prefer no display. Only include whatever improves sound quality. I wonder how many actually use the display very much

1 Like

When will the new PS Audio player be available? Will it play SACD’s & use the same protocol between DMP and PS Audio DACs, through your I²S interface?

Based on what has been said here the actual release date is still TBD. Paul has said something will be shown at AXPONA, hopefully it’s a close to production unit. I think the delays have been due to the drive mechanism, it took some time, but they found an SACD drive that they like and the “negotiations” were slower than expected.

1 Like

And at this point: SACD - yes; whether it is the identical I2S protocol, not sure, but it will certainly play to DS DACs.

1 Like

We’re getting close but I cannot promise it’ll be at Axpona. It will be working by then and we’ll be listening and evaluating, but I kind oof don’t think we’ll bring it to the show since it’ll still be a prototype. We want the show to be about finally getting
the production version of the speaker, now officially named the FR30 (instead of the AN3), so people can see, hear, and touch the final product. By the time Axpona comes around the factories will be building FR30 cabinets and drivers for a 2020 launch. ‘Bout
time!

1 Like

Just curious Paul. What’s the significance of the new model number if any? If I recall correctly the AN was a tribute to Arnie Nuddell. Does the FR30 have any special meaning?

1 Like

Why would you think the protocol would be different? It is going to have the PS Audio output board where everything is buffered and reclocked as it is in the DMP.

I don’t think that. Just responding to Famavolat’s question.

1 Like