Is there a way to measure a fuse why it can make a change on how a system sounds?

I tink you are right about a noticeable improvent with the
fuses on your maggies…

Just be sure to get the right value amp wise as well as
time or fast blow types…

Results should be interesting…

Keep us posted with regards to this…

Best wishes

1 Like

I hesitated to post this but decided what the hell. This is a small part of a thread in the Polk Audio Forum from May, 2009. The thread was entittled “Studies On Residential Power Line Noise - Part 7: HiFi Tuning and Isoclean Fuses”

This is just a very small portion of the posting by an individual named DarqueKnight.

“Both the HiFi Tuning and Isoclean fuses have arrows on their cases which indicate that they should be oriented in the direction of current (energy) flow. Some people have scoffed and ridiculed the idea of “directional” AC fuses. Rather than something to ridicule, I saw the arrows as indications that there was something going on inside the “fuses” that required a specific orientation. Initially, my ears told me that the fuses sounded better in the direction of the arrows than against it. Noise spectrum measurements with an oscilloscope verified that the line noise was lower in the direction of the arrows than against it.”

He goes on to say:

"I tried a 0.5 Amp Hifi Tuning fuse in my Pass Labs Xono phono preamp and Pass Labs X0.2 line level preamp. The results were spectacular.

Listening tests confirmed that the best, most detailed, most open sound was achieved when the fuses were installed with the logo pointing in the direction of current flow.

I also took some noise spectrum measurements with an oscilloscope and I definitely saw more power line noise after the fuse when it was installed with the logo pointing against the current flow.

The resistance of the fuse measured the same in both directions."

The differences between stock and aftermarket fuses seemed to lie in the levels of line noise which were lower in the latter.

Anyone interested might want to try to hunt down the original post.

3 Likes

Sounds like an interesting experiment and brings up the question of why audio companies rarely seem to put any amount of R & D dollars into fuses.

One would think that after years of carefully testing/tweaking of designs on very high-end items, if a fuse made an actual audible difference they would be yelling it from the roof tops as a way to differentiate from competitors.

1 Like

Check this out:

1 Like

That was interesting - thanks! I actually have a extra ceramic fuses (most DVOMs use them. Never thought of using them, as I’ve just thought of them for my meters.

Why would an audio manufacturer not use high end fuses? The same reason that speaker manufacturers usually don’t use high end capacitors and resistors, price point.

I don’t know why each manufacturer doesn’t use “audiophile” fuses.
My guess would be “UL” or “CSA” certification.

C

That’ also could be a reason why.

Expense? Protect margins and let the end user decide?

2 Likes

It would be nice if they offered them as “upgrades,” especially if they offered it at a slight discount compared to getting them yourself. Maybe even as “package deals” like how Wyred does for some of their equipment from the factory.

Paul has a video that explains why PSA don’t include higher quality power cords with their equipment. It comes down to every high-end audio nut (us) having his own strong preference for power cords!

1 Like

Go to Farad’s website and look at ordering a 3.

1 Like

You hit it right on the head…From what I have gathered from
reading is that McIntosh does not include power cables with
their gear for the same reason as well as the added expense

I could be wrong…though…’

Best wishes

I’m still living with, and enjoying, my PSA default cables. I can only explain so much snake-oil at one time to my wife!

4 Likes

Nice

1 Like

A fuse is all about safety. I would guess that they’re probably most concerned about liability, insurance,etc.

1 Like

Indeed. A 50 cent fuse, with a couple of spares and the customer is protected. A $50 fuse, no spares and the fuse blows, the customer is pi$$ed. No brainer.

Ah mi amigo…you forgot the in between part, zee reason for
da gear…zee muzick yes…?

Zee customer he likey de way de muzik now zounds…
even if it cost him a beet more…customer then happy …yes?

Fuse blows den customer he no very happy… :grinning:

Best wishes

1 Like

This may interest some:

1 Like

I received my 3 SR Purple fuses today, so it is an out of the box unbroken in preliminary report.

First I replaced the 2 Oranges From the Farad Super 3’s to the two Purples. What difference I heard was very small. With the Purple, the images in the back of the stage is slightly more live or present is the only thing I noticed. We’ll see if there are more improvements when the Purple fuses settles in some more.

Next I changed out the Beeswax Ultimate Premier in the P20 with the SR Purple and I hear more differences with this swap. The Purple’s highs are more prominent, but also a little more dry. The images with the Beeswax has more bloom and a little fuller images and pops out more. I’ll let the Purple break in some more, but with the Purple right out right of the box, I prefer the Beeswax more.

Update: After a couple of days, the thinness and dryness I heard from the Purple fuse right out of the box is completely gone. The music seem to come out more alive with more separation and air. This Purple is one heck of a fuse! I don’t know if it can get any better with further break-in, but It is now my new reference fuse.

1 Like