IsoAcoustics ISO-Puck Series vs OREA Series

I have tried both Iso pucks and Orea Indigo on MK2 (among other vibration control tweaks). They all made some differences on MK2 (and my other components). I settled with three Orea under MK2. It sounds more vivid with great details that Iso pucks could not quite provide.

1 Like

I tried Orea too, they sound good. But. . . I prefer VooDoo IsoPods.

2 Likes

I have Vibrapods on cones supporting my Stellar Phono Preamp and it sounds wonderful. Maybe Iā€™ll swap them with with the Iso puck minis and see how that sounds. I certainly use the MKll much more often than the phono stage.

@dchang05, What configuration; and, I take it you never tried the OREAS under the OEM feet?

TIA.

The only Oreas I have are three Bordeaux under my power amp. Not applicable here because of their much higher weight specs.

in other words, no difference

Bordeaux is over kill for MK2 for sure. Even Indigo is at higher rating but I like them the best. One time I tried three Isopuck 76 under Mk1, and they damped the sound so much that the life was sucked out of my system. regular Isopuck was better, but Orea Idigo is better for Mk2 in my system.

I demo Voodoo too, but in my system Orea works better. Orea, however, does not work on PST, M1200, and Lumin U2 as well compared to Mk2 and BHK pre. I use steel columns with ceramic balls, plus sorbthane sheet on top of column for vibration control for these devices. They are better sounding than Orea/Voodoo/pucks in my system. It probably has to go with the racks I am using too.

In addition, I use three MDF platforms under PST, Lumin U2, and MK2. They have their own vibration feet under (aluminum sorbothane sheet, and composite combo). These give me the best result on top of the above mentioned method.

Another vibration control area is supports under AC cord power plugs. In my system they improve the sound too. Now my system is tuned to a point that I can hear tiny change from replacing one footer or a 3M tuning ring movement on power cord. Itā€™s fun!

1 Like

The only supports under OEM feet that I found better with vibration control were my two LHY switches. All PSA products I like the sound better with footers under the metal bottom of gears, not OEM feet. But sorbothane Euro 70 sheets (1/8 or 3/16"?) sandwiched between the footers and gears seem to give a more ā€œlifeā€ sound.

1 Like

The Vibrapods with cones are seeming to bring the benefits of vibration isolation that I remember with earlier DACs in my system. Tried them all four with points down and depth and instrument separation snapped into focus. Pretty spectacular improvement. Bass warmed up though. Tried it again mixed with two of the points facing up. Tighten up the bass but some of that separation and focus was lessened. Tried it again with three points down and one up, Seems to be a good compromise. Iā€™ll try leaving it this way for a longer trial. Next Iā€™ll try a Iso puck under the power cord plug as per your recommendation.

1 Like

One in the ā€œbackā€, two in the ā€œfrontā€; or vice versaā€¦?

Curiously yours,

SEE

I have two in the front with one in the back middle. Admittedly I have not tried too many variations to confirm this is the best sound, and it will probably be system dependent. But I like the look better.

However, when there is a platform under the gear, I will have one in the middle front and two in the back under the platform, so the footers above do not line up vertically with the footers at the bottom. I believe this way it would be more effective in damping vibration from the platform itself. But I cannot say for sure since I have not tried the other ways long term to confirm this way results in best sound.

One thing that I found resulted in better sound, in my system, is to use three footers instead of four. Maybe because I use higher weight-rating footers, the 4 footers seem to damp a bit too much liveness.

1 Like

One in the front and two in the back. Didnā€™t try it any other way. Sounding pretty great right now, so dimensional. Iso puck under power cord plug as well.
Clarification, two in back points down. One point down and one point up in front.

1 Like

Iā€™m using Vibrapods #2 which has a maximum rating of 8 pounds, I believe. So I need to use four of them.

I donā€™t know what this means. Are you meaning that you have one of the Oreas inverted?

TIA.

No. Took Iso pucks out. Put Vibrapods with their matching cones in. Points up or down refers to the points of the cones. This is working much better than the Isoacoustics mini pucks under my MKll.

1 Like

Gotchaā€¦

1 Like

Moving around the same number of Orea footers under Mk2 and BHK pre, I found the sound does change a bit. I have not changed the position (two in front with one in back middle) since the Mk1 period. But with one in front-middle, and two in the back corners, the sound is a bit sharper, more focused, but cooler. I may stay with this position for a few days to see if I really like it better.