JPlay driver work in foobar (PCM) with the DS?

Win 8.1x64 Pro, USB 2.0, 1.2.1 firmware, Windows Sound set to PS Audio DS.

I just switched from a PWD II to a DS. With the PWD, I could use the ASIO:JPlay driver in foobar (Output setting), but with the DS there’s no sound that way; I have to switch to the ASIO:PS Audio driver. Am I missing something or is there some glitch with the JPlay driver and the DS? JPlay is set to KS:PSAVIRT Wave, Xtream. Thanks,

This probably won’t help much but FWIW:

There’s no reason a priori to expect any driver but PS Audio’s drivers to work with the DS (the same is true for any manufacturer driver - they are designed to work well for a specific piece of hardware.) There’s a chance that some Thesycon drivers released for other XMOS based products may work, then again they may have subtle problems.

If the JPlay ASIO driver is a forwarding driver (i.e. it provides an ASIO interface but it uses some other driver to do the actual work) then the problem is in their ASIO driver or the configuration of it or the driver being forwarded to.

I don’t use JPlay so there’s a chance that there’s some JPlay configuration thing I don’t know about that matters.

Thanks. I’ve also posted this on the JPlay forum and added the latter part of your comment. Would you have said the same thing about the PWD’s driver; i.e., is there something fundamentally different now with the DS?

Anyone with JPlay (non-mini) experience with foobar?

The DS’s drivers are newer then the ones you probably used for the PWD (tho they also support the PWD). The newer drivers have some bug fixes and some newer features. The only new feature that I know of that the DS supports which the PWD doesn’t is 352.8k PCM, but I don’t see how that would cause what you are seeing. But not being the DS USB driver guy or a JPlay user I’m probably just causing confusion.

I am using JPlay with JRiver and it works fine with my Directstream.

vgrubb said
I am using JPlay with JRiver and it works fine with my Directstream.

Guess I need a JPlay/foobar combo user. Btw, are you aware of http://jplay.eu/forum/jplay/jriver-no-longer-supports-jplay-official/? There’s a workaround in there. It seems JRiver’s developer has declared sent the nukes.

Ted, I used the new drivers with the PWD/foobar/JPlay for a couple of days before the DS arrived and had no problem.

highstream said Ted, I used the new drivers with the PWD/foobar/JPlay for a couple of days before the DS arrived and had no problem.
I'm not surprised, but like I said I don't know what else is different for the DS besides the maximum rate.

Problem solved. Looking again at JPlay’s settings, there are two kernel streaming choices KS:PSAVIRT Audio, and then the one I want: KS:PS Audio Audio 2.0 Output (not sure why two “Audio”). Never seen two before.

That said, so far it’s a close call between the JPlay and PS Audio ASIO settings in foobar. In fact, with the JPlay setting I had been using, the PS Aduio driver is noticeably better in clarity, delicacy, sense of space and hall ambiance, and with that clearer dynamics, i.e., a lot of what separates the DS from the PWD. But with other settings they are so indistinguishable. In process.

Does the VIRT in Kernel Streaming:PSAVIRT Wave indicate some kind of virtual driver?

Btw, JPlay settings also shows options for “ASIO:PS Audio USB driver” and “WASAPI:Perfectwave DSD,” although JPlay says with the first, choice of engine has no effect (four engines).