Foobar DSD playback error with DS


#1

Has anyone encountered this problem with DSD playback with Foobar ? After couple of minutes into the track, the playback stops with the below error

“Unrecoverable playback error: The process receiving or sending data has terminated”

Foobar - 1.3.9

ASIOProxy - 0.8.3

foo_out_asio - 2.1.2

foo_input_sacd - 0.8.4

Output Device - ASIO: foo_dsd_asio

SACD Output mode - DSD


#2

Strangely before a few days ago I’d never gotten that (running the exact version numbers you mention.) Then for a while I got it every few minutes of playing DSD and now it’s gone again. I was trying some beta software drivers so I blamed that, but uninstalling and reinstalling the USB drivers a time or two seems to have fixed it. I’m trying to reproduce it right now.


#3

I am using Foobar (WASAPI) via I2s to the DS and get no problems, so I guess it is a USB related issue.


#4

Strange indeed. I never had problem with Foobar playing DSD before in my setup which is a dual-pc Jplay setup. The USB drivers are on the audio pc where Foobar doesn’t run. The same DSF track plays fine in Bughead and Jplaystreamer/Minimserver with Dop. So its not the track itself. I also have foobar installed in the audio pc as well but its slightly older version 1.3.8, asioproxy is 0.7.2 and foo_input_sacd is 0.7.8 and DSD plays fine over there.


#5

Looks like the behavior is erratic. The same DSD playlist played fine the next time and upon loading another set of track, the same problem. My control pc CPU/Ram runs at much lower freq (to cut down on hf noise). I thought it could be not enough juice but I monitored the Foobar and ASIOHost64 process and they hardly consume any cpu cycles. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling Foobar again to see if it fixes but I doubt. There is a new version of foo_input_sacd 0.9.6 - anybody using it so far ?


#6

0.9.6 has some random bugs. There’s a reason that 0.8.4 is still the recommended version at sourceforge. I like not having a separate ASIO proxy and I hope he gets back to the project to finish it.

Also try uninstalling and reinstalling the PS Audio USB drivers - I’m pretty sure it isn’t the foobar2000 or asio proxy install.

If you play tracks that are DST encoded you’ll need a lot more CPU power. DST encoded tracks show up as having DST64 as the codec instead of DSD64 and are usually found on multichannel SACDs/iso’s.


#7

I tried the 0.9.6 version in desperation to see if it fixed my issue. No luck, instead, as you say, it made matters worse. PCM won’t play when selecting DSD:ASIO:foo_dsd_asio and when selecting just ASIO:foo_dsd_asio, DSD files won’t play. So I reverted back to 0.8.4.

I checked the file properties of the dsf file in Foobar and they are all using DSD64 codec. I will try uninstalling and re-installing the PS audio USB drivers. Its a bit of pain at the moment to do it in windows core mode, so I will have to go to gui mode and back again. Will update this thread.


#8

Ted, no luck with uninstalling and reinstalling the USB drivers sad_gif


#9

I didn’t have much hope, but it was worth a try. The other obvious thing to try (but I don’t hold much hope) is messing with the other options in the foobar2000 options/playback/output/asio page: The “Use 64-bit…” and the “… high priority” options.

I just realized that, for some reason, quite a while back I reverted to ASIOProxyInstall-0.8.2 from ASIOProxyInstall-0.8.3. I don’t remember why that was, but that’s the version I have the most experience with. (To be clear I run foo_input_sacd-0.8.4 most of the time even tho I typically use 0.8.2 for the ASIO Proxy.)

I hope your problem spontaneously goes away like mine did… I’m still trying to reproduce it just in case…


#10
Ted Smith said I didn't have much hope, but it was worth a try. The other obvious thing to try (but I don't hold much hope) is messing with the other options in the foobar2000 options/playback/output/asio page: The "Use 64-bit.." and the "... high priority" options.
Yes, I had those options set from day one.
I just realized that, for some reason, quite a while back I reverted to ASIOProxyInstall-0.8.2 from ASIOProxyInstall-0.8.3. I don't remember why that was, but that's the version I have the most experience with. (To be clear I run foo_input_sacd-0.8.4 most of the time even tho I typically use 0.8.2 for the ASIO Proxy.)
I hope your problem spontaneously goes away like mine did... I'm still trying to reproduce it just in case...
Rebooted both the control and audio pc couple of times, introduced a 1g switch between them (jplay control connection over which audio encapsulated ethernet packets are exchanged) and now I can't reproduce it. I am really baffled dull_gif I will try the 0.8.2 for the ASIOProxyInstall if the problem comes back (which I think is quiet likely).

#11

Nope, I came to conclusion too fast. The problem resurfaced. I tried uninstalling the ASIOProxy, re-install 0.8.2 and then 0.8.3 and none of them solved the problem. Funny thing is it plays fine from Minimserver and BHE using Dop using the same Jplay asio driver.