Foobar DSD playback error with DS

Has anyone encountered this problem with DSD playback with Foobar ? After couple of minutes into the track, the playback stops with the below error

“Unrecoverable playback error: The process receiving or sending data has terminated”

Foobar - 1.3.9

ASIOProxy - 0.8.3

foo_out_asio - 2.1.2

foo_input_sacd - 0.8.4

Output Device - ASIO: foo_dsd_asio

SACD Output mode - DSD

Strangely before a few days ago I’d never gotten that (running the exact version numbers you mention.) Then for a while I got it every few minutes of playing DSD and now it’s gone again. I was trying some beta software drivers so I blamed that, but uninstalling and reinstalling the USB drivers a time or two seems to have fixed it. I’m trying to reproduce it right now.

I am using Foobar (WASAPI) via I2s to the DS and get no problems, so I guess it is a USB related issue.

Strange indeed. I never had problem with Foobar playing DSD before in my setup which is a dual-pc Jplay setup. The USB drivers are on the audio pc where Foobar doesn’t run. The same DSF track plays fine in Bughead and Jplaystreamer/Minimserver with Dop. So its not the track itself. I also have foobar installed in the audio pc as well but its slightly older version 1.3.8, asioproxy is 0.7.2 and foo_input_sacd is 0.7.8 and DSD plays fine over there.

Looks like the behavior is erratic. The same DSD playlist played fine the next time and upon loading another set of track, the same problem. My control pc CPU/Ram runs at much lower freq (to cut down on hf noise). I thought it could be not enough juice but I monitored the Foobar and ASIOHost64 process and they hardly consume any cpu cycles. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling Foobar again to see if it fixes but I doubt. There is a new version of foo_input_sacd 0.9.6 - anybody using it so far ?

0.9.6 has some random bugs. There’s a reason that 0.8.4 is still the recommended version at sourceforge. I like not having a separate ASIO proxy and I hope he gets back to the project to finish it.

Also try uninstalling and reinstalling the PS Audio USB drivers - I’m pretty sure it isn’t the foobar2000 or asio proxy install.

If you play tracks that are DST encoded you’ll need a lot more CPU power. DST encoded tracks show up as having DST64 as the codec instead of DSD64 and are usually found on multichannel SACDs/iso’s.

I tried the 0.9.6 version in desperation to see if it fixed my issue. No luck, instead, as you say, it made matters worse. PCM won’t play when selecting DSD:ASIO:foo_dsd_asio and when selecting just ASIO:foo_dsd_asio, DSD files won’t play. So I reverted back to 0.8.4.

I checked the file properties of the dsf file in Foobar and they are all using DSD64 codec. I will try uninstalling and re-installing the PS audio USB drivers. Its a bit of pain at the moment to do it in windows core mode, so I will have to go to gui mode and back again. Will update this thread.

Ted, no luck with uninstalling and reinstalling the USB drivers sad_gif

I didn’t have much hope, but it was worth a try. The other obvious thing to try (but I don’t hold much hope) is messing with the other options in the foobar2000 options/playback/output/asio page: The “Use 64-bit…” and the “… high priority” options.

I just realized that, for some reason, quite a while back I reverted to ASIOProxyInstall-0.8.2 from ASIOProxyInstall-0.8.3. I don’t remember why that was, but that’s the version I have the most experience with. (To be clear I run foo_input_sacd-0.8.4 most of the time even tho I typically use 0.8.2 for the ASIO Proxy.)

I hope your problem spontaneously goes away like mine did… I’m still trying to reproduce it just in case…

Ted Smith said I didn't have much hope, but it was worth a try. The other obvious thing to try (but I don't hold much hope) is messing with the other options in the foobar2000 options/playback/output/asio page: The "Use 64-bit.." and the "... high priority" options.
Yes, I had those options set from day one.
I just realized that, for some reason, quite a while back I reverted to ASIOProxyInstall-0.8.2 from ASIOProxyInstall-0.8.3. I don't remember why that was, but that's the version I have the most experience with. (To be clear I run foo_input_sacd-0.8.4 most of the time even tho I typically use 0.8.2 for the ASIO Proxy.)
I hope your problem spontaneously goes away like mine did... I'm still trying to reproduce it just in case...
Rebooted both the control and audio pc couple of times, introduced a 1g switch between them (jplay control connection over which audio encapsulated ethernet packets are exchanged) and now I can't reproduce it. I am really baffled dull_gif I will try the 0.8.2 for the ASIOProxyInstall if the problem comes back (which I think is quiet likely).

Nope, I came to conclusion too fast. The problem resurfaced. I tried uninstalling the ASIOProxy, re-install 0.8.2 and then 0.8.3 and none of them solved the problem. Funny thing is it plays fine from Minimserver and BHE using Dop using the same Jplay asio driver.