Jr. display error indication?

I can’t get sound from Jr’s I2S input. On the display in the upper right corner I see “E” under “*”. Does this indicate an “error”? If so, what kind of error?

I am running mRendu => Ultradigital => Jr. I2S …

Bridge and USB inputs work normally and there is no “E” on the screen.

I think the DSJr has to be connected to another PSA device for the I2S port to work.

The E indicates preemphasis is detected. The PWT and DMP signal to the DAC that the disc being played has had preemphasis applied.

Here’s the list of Jr letter indicators:

I don’t have a good guess why things aren’t working for you, but the ‘E’ might be a hint.

1 Like

Ted,

Thanks a lot … but what on Earth is preEmpasis?

Maxim

See, e.g., Click

Not sure how to use this info … but thanks anyhow …

I actually gor rid of “E” by changing an internal switch on ultraDigital (as per sonore website advice).

But it was of no help — still no sound comes out …

It answers your question “. . . what on Earth is preEmpasis?”

Is AUTO input select working? (when you have another source connected to a non-I2S input).

Yes, I believe it does. But I see on the display that I2S is selected …

Why should auto input select cause a problem?

I’m not suggesting auto input is causing a problem. I’m curious if, with AUTO selected, when you are using a non I2S input and that is working OK, when you then turn on and start playing an I2S source whether that is being detected by the DSJ. If it then changes automatically to the I2S input then you at least know it is detecting the source.

Very similar to how the original Dolby processing was intended to work on cassettes. Note that almost no cassette players were of high enough performance quality to use Dolby as designed. On most machines it just acted as a high filter that de-emphasized higher frequencies when recording but never restored them on playback.

Yes very similar to Dolby, as well as akin to applying RIAA equalization to vinyl.

If auto input select is selected and you have more than two inputs, if one of them intermittently plays even quiet sound it will “steal” the input focus. Most devices simply send 0’s when they are paused but some send quiet garbage. The DAC can’t tell if that’s a real signal or not.

It’s always best to turn off automatic features when debugging. If you have another non-I2S source that works when selected and when you directly select I2S things still don’t work then there’s probably some misconfiguration with the I2S source. If I2S has never worked there’s a chance that the unit needs repaired.

1 Like

Ted,

Thanks for this advice.

Not sure how to turn off the autoselect feature. However, I disconnected my only other source from the DAC (bridge on ehternet input); selected I2S manually, and still have no sound.

I probably have to conclude that there is a fault with my ultradigital unit unless I get another advice from sonore.

My only consolation is that the sound from mRendu into the USB input is awesome; so maybe there is no need to fix what’s not broken.

Maxim

Hi Ted,

One more observation: it looks like Jr. does get a signal to the I2S input. When I play a hi-rez file, the Jr. display correctly shows 96 kHz; while with a regular file it shows 44.1 kHz. And a * in the upper right corner in both cases.

But still no sound …

M

The good news is that if you get a correct sample rate and a data present indicator you probably don’t have a hardware problem. Is there any way that your source can be doing a mute or volume control?

I don’t think mRendu or ultraDigital have any volume control/mute options.

I have a sense that Jr. for some reason mutes the signal. When I switch from I2S (that does not work) to Bridge, the music starts with a noticeable click in the loudspeakers …

Shall I try DLNA instead of Roon?

I2S is pretty simple: it’s unlikely that they aren’t formatting things right and the only other thing that causes a mute is the clock rate being too far out which also seems unlikely. If there are any options that control the polarity of the clock, flip it. Wrong polarity of data simply inverts absolute polarity (and will show 24 bits for CDs.) Wrong polarity of the L/R channel indicator will invert channels.

Cough, cough…speak for yourself Ted. Can I just point out, what you find simple, >99.99% of the population of humankind on Earth probably doesn’t feel the same way.