Loose rca jack on DS

hi all

i just purchased a brand new DS a few days ago and am very happy with the SQ of Yale. Tonight I was doing some comparisons with my other DACs and when I pulled out my rca cables from the rca analogue outputs, the ‘head’ of the rca jack came loose and stuck to my rca cable! Is this normal? Needless to say, I was very disturbed by this as I thought the build quality was excellent. I then pulled out the ‘head’ and stuck it back into the rca jack by simply pushing it in. Now it looks normal but I wonder if it will pull out easily again.

I had the same problem, since mine was a kit I asked PSA for a replacement and I installed it, rather easy. i was concerned the electrical connection was compromised because of the looseness. As yours was not you should probably ask to have it returned. Yes mine would not stay in.

You will want to contact our service department as well. The looseness isn’t a big deal but it should be fixed.

Thanks paul

i’m from malaysia and is there any way i could fix it myself without having to send the DS all the way back to the states? Superglue perhaps?

Absolutely. A thin layer of super glue (not the gel type) makes for a wonderfully strong bond and it’s what we do as well.

I also got the same problem a while ago. I just pushed it in place but it is concerning.

Thanks again paul

good to know that i’m not alone in having this problem and also good to know that it can be fixed easily.

on the bright side after i pushed it in it makes a pretty tight fit so it doesn’t seem to pull out easily again.

i should mention again that the Yale DS (i haven’t heard the earlier versions) sounds absolutely amazing. And my bar is set pretty high from having a Naim NDS streamer with 555dr power supply in the same system. Most of the time i prefer the sound coming from the DS!

Excellent and thanks for the understanding.

andytts said

i should mention again that the Yale DS (i haven’t heard the earlier versions) sounds absolutely amazing. And my bar is set pretty high from having a Naim NDS streamer with 555dr power supply in the same system. Most of the time i prefer the sound coming from the DS!

@andytts,

Are you using the digital out from the NDS into the PSA DS? Given the cost of the NDS/555DR, if you prefer the DS then this is a fantastic achievement for PS Audio

Cheers,

Chris

Yes NDS digital out to DS using a Naim DC1 BNC to RCA cable. I have posted a pic of my system in the other thread concerning direct connection to power amp.

NDS is better for 20 percent of the songs, DS is better for 80 percent.

Give it 500 plus hours and you’ll have an even mightier DS DAC!

I have had the same problem twice. The first time I sent the DSD in and it was repaired, but the RCA jack came out again when I removed the same IC as the first time. For now, I just pushed it back in, but at some point I am going to need a final remedy. Granted, High Fidelity IC’s make a very tight connection, but still . . . .

Neal

Congrats with the HFC IC’s, Neal.

I have the CT-1 speaker cables.

Question? Why would this happen to begin with? I have never had an rca jack or any other connector come off in this manner.embarassed

May i say rather poor quality (sturdiness)? At least this is my impression…

I think there was a similar problem with the speaker binding posts on the BHK amp. but this seem to be fixed now.

Have you tried superglue as paul suggested?

Paul

Mine too. Here is a picture of one of them. The cable actually fell off when I was changing over amps. The other one also came off.

The cable connector (a WBT item that tightens up on a screw thread) forms a much tighter connection with the part that is meant to be connected to the DAC, but isn’t.

This is not impressive. Seriously, I am meant to glue it together?

IMG_0999.JPG

Thats exactly what it looks like when mine detached

You’d be perfectly within your rights to ask your dealer to fix this, or ship it back to wherever you bought it from. But if PSA got a bad batch of RCA connectors, as seems likely, there’s no guarantee that you wouldn’t get another loose connector. Not to mention the time and effort it would take to return it. And a dealer would probably use superglue. Since Paul himself has blessed this solution, I see no harm in doing so–just be neat with the glue! I’ll grant this kind of problem isn’t what one expects from a high-end product, but hey – stuff happens. Your call what to do.

andytts said Thats exactly what it looks like when mine detached
Mine too. I mentioned this a few weeks earlier, but maybe a diff thread, I asked for the part and replaced it myself. Mine is a kit so I had experience opening the DS up, certainly a help, but there is a how to video for the kit that would direct you. Took maybe 20 minutes.