Lots of buzz with Audioquest and PS Audio. My question is what interconnects and speaker cable are you using in your own system?

Hello all! I have using Audioquest for quite a while. I also have some Transparent interconnects. I have not used many other products because I’ve always liked the performance I got from Audioquest and Transparent. So if you like or dislike a speaker cable or interconnect in your system I’d like to read about it! Thank you

As you already know, I am using (and like) old Cardas Quadlink. It has a warm, open sound that I like. Their current Parsec replaced the Quadlink, and according to Cardas, is better than Quadlink with new advancements plus still retains the warmth, as the marketing says (I do not have these, but am interested in Parsec balanced xlr, based on my 20+ years with Cardas Quadlink rca interconnect). I prefer Audioquest Red River balanced over Cardas Quadlink rca but like Cardas Quadlink rca over AudioQuest MacKenzie rca. Speaker cable is from SnakeRiverAudio that is a custom blend for the Sonist Audio Concerto 4 speakers.

2 Likes

I have Transparent XLR interconnects between DAC and amp. I’ve not tried swapping them out for something other.

Lately, every time I bring in a Wireworld Platinum Starlight cable, I’m impressed with the leap in performance. I’d add more, but they are pricey.

Edit: I’m also impressed with my new Verastarr silver ribbon speaker cables. Huge improvement, and they look boss.

3 Likes

I run Audio Art’s top end cables for speaker wire and interconnect:

In my opinion the terminations are as important as the cable itself. Think about having the 808HP Demon running on plastic tires :wink: That’s why I like Audio Art, they use Furutech terminations on their higher end cables/interconnects.

I’m not going to lie and say it made my system more resolving/transparent blah blah blah, I’m not in that camp where I believe a [competently designed] wire can manipulate sound. Audio Art are just solidly designed cables at a reasonable price (especially when you look at the cost of Furutech parts].

4 Likes

I went through a lot of cable trial and error at the beginning of this century and early this decade I moved up the VooDoo Cable ladder so that now my main system has Stradivarius Amati and Cremona XLR and RCA interconnect cabling. DMP and DSD are connected with PS Audio AC-12 HDMI. I love the sound with this batch of cabling.

For speaker cabling I’m using PS Audio xStream Statement. One day if I’m flush enough I’ll try Iconoclast speaker cabling.

For power cabling. . . all PS Audio PerfectWave AC-12.

2 Likes

I’d like to try the Cardas RCA. My primary source device is a Marantz Ruby SACD/Dac and it only has RCA connections which I use the Audioquest King Cobra. I used to have a hifi shop nearby where I could take demos home and try out. Since they ent out of business that luxury is gone.

Belden BAV balanced from dac to pre and pre to amps, and Iconoclast TPC speaker cables. Both are Galen Garis creations and fill the bill exceedingly well.

I demo’d TPC and OFE interconnects but my install required the extra flexibility of the BAV line. It’s still exceedingly good and without being able to A/B the differences have long since been forgotten and I simply preferred the TPC speaker cables over the other two copper and copper/silver variants

4 Likes

With exceptions too rare for me to even remember, I can’t say my judgment of cables from any good vendor have ever fallen into the ‘dislike’ category. Cables are a matter of system synergy with many variables involved, including personal taste. Were I to say I ‘disliked’ a cable brand, I would have to caveat that opinion with a list of specifics about my system that in the end are likely to never be completely the same as any other audiophile’s system. That is one of the things about this hobby I find most fascinating. I use all Cardas Clear Sky ICs and loudspeaker cables. I’ve used AQ in the past as well. My system in its present form responds well to the liquid presentation Cardas is justly famous for. Does that mean the transparency of AQ cables, that’s my perception of their cable line, is something I ‘dislike’? Nope.

4 Likes

Maybe dislike is a bad word. Basically I’m more interested in what everyone is using and what they have that keeps them listening for hours.

1 Like

Iconoclast. Best I’ve ever tried by a country mile.

1 Like

I’d point out today you don’t need a brick and mortar shop to audition cables. Unless you order a custom length of a cable the vendor doesn’t typically stock, you will or darned well should have a trial period afforded to you for audition at home in your system. The Cable Company has built its business on its cable lending library. I tend to purchase my cables from Music Direct in my hometown of Chicago, all by mail order. MD backs every cable buy with a trial period. A trial period I have taken advantage of. I’ve returned more than one cable for exchange or refund in the past when it hasn’t worked out.

1 Like

I live in the north suburbs I’ve gone to music direct and purchased music there never for accessories or equipment. I’d probably go there more often but I’m not a fan of the Cook County tax. Thanks for the info

1 Like

Here’s a tip. Ask for a discount. I do. It’s no guarantee, but I’d guess a 90% success rate getting a discount that at a minimum offsets Cook County’s tax.

2 Likes

After a 5 week, in home, in system audition:
Tara Labs RSC Air Evolution:
8 foot speaker cables from BHK300 mono blocks to Focal Sopra No. 2 loudspeakers
1.5M XLR from Audio Research LS28 preamp to BHK300’s
1M XLR from Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/CD player to Audio Research LS28 preamp

1 Like

I’m also not a fan of the sales tax from Music Direct. That’s why I get my music from Acoustic Sounds.
I am a fan of Cardas though. I started my first hi end cables from way back with Cardas Golden 5C’s speakers and interconnects. They were the most musical sounding cables I heard at the time and even now they sound excellent. Their Golden Reference’s were my next upgrade and they were more neutral sounding, and not as forward sounding as the Golden 5C’s. Then I tried their Clear Beyond and as their name implies, it is clear beyond their previous cables. The only cables I like more is top line cables from WireWorld. Wires really sounds different in different systems. It is best to try before you buy. I believe the Cable Company allows you this option.

2 Likes

Thanks waymanchen11! I have to give the Cardas RCA’s a try!

Agreed–my system is all Iconoclast (except power cables, of course)

But they’re coming soon…BAV line is nearly ready I believe and Iconoclast is in the works - all with data per Galen-style

Iconoclast SPTPC speaker cables and Iconoclast UPOCC XLR interconnects. Great synergy with PS Audio DS Sr. DAC, BHK Sig Preamp, BHK Sig Stereo 250. Currently WW Platinum Starlight VII DMP to DS Sr. DAC.

Cardas Clear Light XLR and speaker.

1 Like