Lots of buzz with Audioquest and PS Audio. My question is what interconnects and speaker cable are you using in your own system?

You will learn a lot from this forum, but unfortunately there are too many threads you should avoid, such as any cable, fuse, equipment comparison that can easily suck you into the rabbit holes. Unless of course you want to spend some serious dough to continue upgrading your system. Then you are in the perfect place :laughing:

1 Like

I am in the process of downsizing from four systems to one. Lots of consolidation, some selling and trading.

I was surprised when a Niagara 1200 plus AQ Monsoon power cord had a noticeable, repeatable, positive impact on all sources played with my REF75SE + REF 6. I started monitoring my AC line and found infrequent but real hard excursions from below 100 to 130.

That got me looking at the Power Plants. I bought a P12 for the experiment and was floored by the dramatic improvement.

So … since I’ve never been a believer in any of this stuff between the gear and the wall, I’ve had to eat some humble pie. I owe Paul McGowan an apology because I’ve been negative about things like power cords and Regenerators based on thought experiments rather than real experiments.

A month ago if someone gushed about the affect of a fuse, I would have made a mental note that that person had a mental off note.

Today I’d buy one too to see what it did for my system.

The silver lining is that it’s still possible to learn new things and evaluate new ideas … no matter how old you might be.

7 Likes

Welcome to the club! @vmax is the King of Tweaks here and I surely learn a lot from him.

@aangen is the King of upgrades here (serious one) and avoid him at all costs! :yum:

Have fun!!!

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed reading through this thread, and at the risk of bringing it back to basics, I’ve got a question on finding similar sounding XLR cables.
Currently I have two sets of 1.5m PS Audio XStream Statement XLR interconnects, which I bought second hand. I like their sound in my system and I’m seeking advice on what alternative brands would have a similar ‘sound signature’ to the Statements.
I’m asking becuase I recently bought what I hoped to be a good cable - a second hand ‘hand made’ local pair of cables that was described as musical and with a good mid range. However, for me they were flatter sounding and less ‘musical’ than the Statements.
I know there is no substitute for listening but I’m all ears for your comments (should that be ‘all eyes’ ? :thinking:)

I have never tried any PSA cables, but there are a few brands that work particularly well with PSA gears. I can recommend Iconoclast XLRs. They have a few lines with different price points that should suit your needs. You should be able to find the thread with extended discussions within this forum.

1 Like

Thanks!

The Iconoclast XLRs are excellent performers and
highly recommended for “value” as well.

1 Like

Welcome to this insane place!

Make a favor to your mental health and your finances, immediately leave the forum while you are in time. Said from the guy who is reading posts here everyday since months without any chances to stay away from it more than 2 days.

5 Likes

The big takeaway from this part of this forum is that for some guys the hobby is tweaking, not listening (except to evaluate tweaks). At least it looks that way. And there’s nothing wrong with that. But it’s not for everyone.

I did buy an SR-Purple fuse as a consequent of this forum, but have not yet tried it. It’s a good thing that the first one’s not free. :confounded:

I love to try new gear. I love to listen to my jazz collection

3 Likes

Our hobby is to enjoy music at its highest level outside an actual live performance. To get the absolute best sound from our speakers and gear! Tweaking is an unfortunate evil to get that little extra we didn’t know was possible! It’s also fun and yes is can be expensive! Enjoy

2 Likes

Enjoy is in the ear of the beholder.

Keep up the good work.

1 Like

I don’t enjoy tweaking anymore. I do like extremely expensive gear and I believe this negates the need to tweak. I do enjoying listening and I believe I listen more each day than most. I have always collected music and have a large library. My current collection of gear doesn’t require any changes. But big changes are coming soon. A new amp and preamp. I also am on the waiting list for MBL Extremes which are stupidly expensive. I am confident that the new amp and preamp will calm me right down. I’ll stay on the list for the Extremes but I seriously doubt I will actually go there. I might. It’s more fun to focus on listening.

6 Likes

I agree. I also wonder if certain tweaks hinder the performance of ultra high end gear? The tweaks seem to make up for short comings of standard high end gear.

I’m post 172! How appropriate!

5 Likes

Some of the ultra high end gear not all, sounds gray in color to get the 3D imaging. The tweaks allow one to have a great image and vibrant and colorful tonal palette with performance closer to live. At least that is what my ears tell me.

2 Likes