Magico Magic (and unrelated matters)

Having been pondering the question for some time, the convenience of having an unlimited catalog of music that I can flick and choose between at whim via my iPad, without shifting from a 2-seater couch that only fits me…well, to divert from all of that and be faced with loading a CD in a tray, whether it is a P1 or P1X, as I had to do with DMP, and having to contend with another remote control to cause it to do whatever, that’s going to take some adjusting. The only thing in favor of adding a disc spinner to the inventory is it sounds better than anything I can pump down an ethernet cable.

““The only thing in favor of adding a disc spinner to the inventory is it sounds better than anything I can pump down an ethernet cable.””

The very same reason I bought the DMP. It was/is so much better than anything I pumped down the ethernet cable ! The DMP is working a treat now and sounding even better… I have stopped swearing at it and I’m starting to like it…!

Edit: I took delivery on the 12th of January 2017… So it has taken 2 years to get to where I am today with the DMP… A ridiculous situation…

Interesting thread. I see some pretty serious SOTA gear yet the listener is sitting up against a back wall and with speakers placed far too close to side walls. Two cents of course. But the OP obviously should have the means to get a room where this equipment could properly shine…as I said - really amazing gear!!! Kudos to the OP for such fine taste in gear.

My current pair of interconnects are the Supra EFF 1 XLR’s which are made in Sweden by Jenving Technology. I think I paid $200 for them quite a few years ago. They’re currently available at Madison for $161. They replaced a very expensive pair of XLO signature ic’s. Lately I’ve compared the Supra’s to some MG Audio CU2’s which cost around $800, and I clearly preferred the Supra’s. I’m currently auditioning the Belden ICONOCLAST OFE GEN II’s. Although they’re not completely broken in yet, they do sound slightly better than my current ic’s in some areas, so we shall see. This all brings me the other interconnect I recently auditioned, the Transparent XLR Ultra’s gen 5’s, which are by far the most expensive cables I’ve ever tried, retail around 3k. They were a demo pair and completely broken in. I’ve heard differences in cables before, but the Ultra’s were on another level altogether. All I’m going to say is, if anyone has an opportunity to listen to a pair of the Ultra’s, or they’re Reference or Opus line, give them a try. There is some serious voodoo magic synergy thing happening when mated with PS Audio gear.

I’m 1m off the back wall and the speakers are 0.7m off the side walls. The room is properly sized for its purpose.

Glad this works for you. I could not possibly live with this configuration. We all hear differently I guess.

1 Like

In my case 2,10m off the back wall and I wouldn’t want to give up a bit.

Yeah - my speakers are a third of that size, and I am suffering by having them identical distances from the walls in my new hovel. My old rooms were 50% larger. It’s a great sounding shoebox, however ; )

Reminds me of the stories of the IRS-V’s at Sea Cliff.

I will qualify this by saying that the Magicos are dead-cabinet designs, whereas the Harbeths take the opposite approach, so it’s not apples to apples, by any means.

Hi, Gary. if the 3k interconnects are that special why not buy them ? Or is just down to the amount money. Yes - it is a fair amount of money but not stupidly expensive like some other makes of cable on the market…

My post to Brodric was only for some fun, with him having such wonderful equipment and a penchant for expensive cables – I just asked what was the best … But like all things audio there is no absolute, just personal preference.

I used to fly back and forth to the US on a regular basis and back then I’d buy a fair amount of Kimber interconnects and speaker cables… Kimber select interconnects at half the UK price… Easy to carry and before 9/11 no issues with customs.

I think it supposed to be in the region of 10% the value of ones system for cables, sundries, etc… With my system that would be close to 25K just for cables. I’d rather save the money, but if I was to spend that amount on my system it would be on hardware !

But each to their own.

If some forum member ( possibly Brodric ) decides to spend a million dollars on interconnects then why not, if that is what they want to do… I genuinely don’t care. I just like the banter with Brodric the billionaire…!

Cheers.

Dirk my man…$250,000 for your system…Move over Brodic…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

cough…yep…it’s a big number…mine is insured for about the same ($350K AU), that’s as far as the insurer would go. I don’t know how those get on with insurance who have far more invested in their audio system.

That’s one sweet poor mans pension. My house doesn’t even cost that much… US dollars.

1 Like

I don’t have a problem justifying 3K for a pair interconnects, based on what I heard when I auditioned them. But I had to at least try and see if that level of improvement could be had for less.

3 Likes

A bit off the topic but speaking of insurance. I have a hifi friend whose house was hit by lightning.
The entire electrical system was fried, that includes anything that was plugged into the wall. The
insurance adjuster came in, walked into his man cave, then walked out very quickly. The wife asked
why, he said he had to get someone with more authority to assess this room, its beyond his limits.
Wife said it’s only $500 CD player and a stereo, no big deal, right?

My friend ended up in a lot of troubles after the adjuster told her how valuable the gears were. Since
she cannot see the differences when he replace one metal box with another, he has
been upgrading quietly. The insurance company paid for the damaged gears. But he was not allowed to
achieve the same high level system. That’s what I call a natural disaster.

4 Likes

My house was hit by lightening. As I have replacement cost coverage ever electrical component which was fried was replaced with current equivalent equipment. Thus, everything new was an improvement.

The lesson learned is unplug everything during an electrical storm.

My system is fully covered but the insurance premium is “hefty” !!

When you house is hit by lightening it makes little difference.

The lightening has just traveled up to five miles and can contain a hundred million electrical volts. Frying electrical equipment, plugged in or not, is little challenge for this much raw power. It easily grounds though wood (e.g., trees), water, anything. A number of my unused components were just as dead as those plugged in.

2 Likes

I guess it’s like insuring a Ferrari or a Lamborghini.
Most important thing is nobody gets hurt.

I’m clearly not in Brodric’s terrority, and others on this site; however, it’s still crazy money (right around a nice 540i). Yet, it’s one of the most life affirming hobbies I can imagine. Music is in the center of our house and life. I play music for every family/friends occasion. Worth every penny to me. It is a privilege to own the gear we do.

5 Likes