Magico Magic (and unrelated matters)

I heard two speakers this year at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest that significantly recalibrated my perspective on speaker performance, and what’s possible from two channel audio. Best of the show by far was the Von Schweikert Ulra 9’s. This system sounded as close to live music as I’ve ever heard. Second speaker that really impressed me was the Lumina L2 from Spatial Audio, which is an open baffle dipole design, and within the reach of mere mortals. These speakers had absolutely no box coloration whatsoever, and imaged like nobody’s business. They also have some of the best Bass performance I’ve ever heard in terms of quality, but also very impactful, which is surprising coming from a open baffle design. These are definitely on my radar for my next speaker upgrade.

The floor is concrete…
Apparently just about everybody who orders the speaker does so with the optional Mpod footers, under the widely held belief that they improve the sound. I’ll be able to judge that for myself now. Although the prospect of installing them is not something I look forward to.

That’s right…we’re flying to New Zealand today on Qantas for vacation…I put the kids in business class to slightly cure their unhappiness!

What’s wrong with your own plane. You have two planes and a fleet of helicopters. I’ve seen the photos.

TAS Product of the year 2018

Site requires login.

1 Like

Saved you the login :grinning:

I’m contemplating the way-out-of-left-field possibility of not having a disc spinner or dedicated DAC at all. The vanilla analog output of my Kaleidescape player does sound mighty fine. And the degree of sonic fineness is probably not being helped by the pedigree of the wire that connects it to the pre-amp. Perhaps dispense with the Esoteric options and just upgrade the player interconnect from Audioquest Coral RCA to Audioquest Colorado RCA? That would enormously simplify the installation, reduce clutter, reduce the number of cables, and would be revenue positive. Worth thinking about.

Hi Brodric, late in replying down to a lack of interconnect connection until 30 mins ago.

Just read your post and what you propose to do, (considering doing) and the theory behind it: My feeling is this, would it satisfy you long-term…?

I realize you have a deep-rooted, unquenchable desire for the exotic wire - but you mustn’t let your paraphilia get in the way of the music…

Take time to think it all through.

Long term music satisfaction vs Short term inveterate cable fiddling fetish.

You know you’re an audiophile when your spellcheck goes for interconnect instead internet!

2 Likes

It was meant. A running joke between Brodic and myself about the crazy lengths he goes to with ridiculously expensive interconnects… All clean fun!!

1 Like

Point of order if I may. Only moderately ridiculously expensive interconnects. If I was not poor, then maybe truly ridiculously expensive Crystal Cable Absolute Dream interconnects would be in my inventory, but that will never happen.

If one‘s willing to invest in cabling, I highly recommend those…a lot of people who already had „everything“ and have insanely expensive equipment ended there. Already their entry level is unrivaled, but still not cheap.

https://www.schnerzinger.com/lang_EN.html

Those cables have a high-end look about them. I wonder if they offer a 30 day free in-home trial like PS Audio?

I guess they have some trial, but not sure what the US distribution offers, you’ll have to check…this cabling does magic in many terms at the same time as it offers time/phase coherence extreme among others.

I just followed your link. I liked that they have “Atomic Bonding” and “Giga Pulse”.
I might have to get some.

2 Likes

You know everything about audio cables :wink: So pray tell me Brodric - which manufacturer of audio cable is ” Thee BEST “? Wire acme. Cable zenith. They all purport “unrivalled musical accuracy” expounding with reams upon reams of fantasy world terminology… There are more words used to describe audio cables than audio equipment…. The more obscene the price, the more mind-numbing the spec sheet, “I wonder why that is” - of course just being rhetorical.

I reckon much of the cost of those boutique cables goes to consultants hired to “invent” fanciful new words and terminology used to describe the indescribable…

Then there’s the buyers; some are zealots who are so protective towards their audio cable of choice that they willing to fight each other to defend the honour of their respective audio cables when slighted… It’s a crazzzy old world !! :grin: Luckily you are sane :thinking:

6 Likes

I don’t think too much about it. I just bought the cables I bought and now I’m done with it. They don’t get a second thought.

I’m more troubled by the question of disc spinner or not.

P1, P1X or another make ? I thought you said you were doing the deed in February…?