Magico Magic (and unrelated matters)

Hey Brodric. Congrats on the new hunks of metal. Seriously. I have seen that beautiful drawer eject in other Esoteric players that use that drive. Almost better than puttin on a record. :). So let’s cut to the chase. What does it sound like?

“I am in a honeymoon state of Grandiose audionirvana enlightenment”

Assuming that is a semi-permanent state Chez Brodric.

And, we are fully aware of that, re: Kalidescape.

Stuff generally plays in my DMP, which is why I’ve often suggested you return your seemingly Lemony Unit.

The Furutech destatic-er thingy is pretty cool in that regard.

; ). …
(“Post must be 8+ characters”…)

I do recall that my DMP played some Blu Ray audio titles, but I don’t recall what version software that was. Some later versions of software break some things that used to work on earlier versions, so it’s difficult keeping track of what worked when.

In the coming new model Esoteric Grandioso P1X, the behavior of the disc tray open/close is one of the things that got a major work-over in the VRDS-ATLAS.

For sure. One of the reasons, despite Dirk’s aversion to yours truly, that I was interested in communicating that sort of stuff to the PS Engineering staff. It was apparent that it was not understood/experienced. It’s starting to soak in. Just doing it through the backdoor.

And Props to James H and Schroesdster for taking up the job : )

I been too busy feeling up the velvet textured CNC machining and drooling over the disc tray opening and closing to come to any meaningful conclusions yet. Well, not really. It sounds OK to keep for the time being. I really want to get my hands on the new P1X next month.

If that Unit did not come with a custom-sized, predrilled Penis Port for you to Get All Up In That Shit, I’m not sure I see the value Equation. (Kidding. Seriously. Nice piece of Kit. Congrats)

There are other Units going on that I’m not so sure about…

About 50% more expensive than what it replaces. There is a lot of new mechanical stuff in it, which would have been expensive to R&D. I don’t think that has happened before with an Esoteric product. Usually they price new models not much more expensive than the replaced model.

And for sure the non-audio-producing aspects of it are a not insignificant portion of the equation.

Turns out, that’s not very expensive, depending…

1 Like

The chassis is 16.5 inches deep. So it’s about deep enough for the feature mentioned :wink:

1 Like

My Monitor Audio speakers use under hung drivers. Amazingly low distortion!

1 Like

Titanium wire in the voice coils? I’m not sure what other driver manufacturers are using Titanium…I think the Titanium wire used by Magico has a square cross section to minimize voids and fully pack the coil.

Not sure if its titanium. Specs say:

• Patented ’ DCF ’ (Dynamic Coupling Filter) mechanism for more natural sound
  • Bespoke speaker terminals and footings
  • Underhung, edge-wound voice coils: greater driver efficiency and lifelike dynamics, less distortion
  • Bolt through drivers: clearer sound and cleaner aesthetics
  • Anti-Resonance Composite ( ARC ) mid-range housings and baffle components: reduced cabinet vibration, purer sound quality
  • Hand-upholstered front baffle: the very highest quality Inglestone leather supplied by Andrew Muirhead

Be sure you are properly grounded.

You should hear the vanilla analog stereo output of the Kaleidescape player. Sometimes I wonder if all the other electronics are necessary…at the moment the Esoteric stuff is off and the sound before me of the Alt-J CD coming out of the RCA stereo output of the K-Player is quite satisfactory.

An early impression of the Esoteric disk spinner. Where it really shines is with recordings that were made with a microphone in a real space with real instruments and real voices. The level of coherence and detail extraction is incredible. I also listen to a lot of puerile rubbish electronic music that was created in virtual space i.e. computer generated music, mixed in a computer, and copied to disc - no voices, no microphones.

To compare it against my most recent disc spinner, which was the DMP, and on a sound quality assessment only. Both are sonically reasonably close together for the puerile rubbish stuff. I’d need to have them spinning side by side and have a close listen A/B to make a more definitive assessment. But for anything that was recorded in a real space, the Esoteric stands on the pinnacle above all else I’ve heard (including MSB, dCS etc). I’ve said previously the DMP sounded fantastic, but now there is a new definition of fantastic.

Your memory is playing tricks. You are still in that euphoric state, new toy syndrome, bedazzling with fables / ‘the parable’ 'The blind men and the “”Elephant”, - and tall tales of Japanese disc spinning supremacy… When reality resurfaces, it will hit you like a lightning bolt, your Esoteric disc spinner is only a poor substitute to the digital dansette that resided under your bed for years. : -)

10 Likes

Grandioso owners say it needs 600 hours. Mine is 2 days old. Give it time.

New MPODS arriving tomorrow. I need to round up the usual suspects to help me install them. Not a 1-man job.

3 sets of MPODS = same cost as Grandioso P1. Something very whacky about that.