Marantz SACD 30n

A couple of weeks ago I decided to take a big step and purchase a Marantz SACD 30n for my system. Mated to my Marantz 40n integrated and KEF LS50 Meta speakers, this is one of the most musical systems I have ever owned. Totally in love with this SACD player. I don’t for a minute pretend to understand what’s going on inside this tank of component (it weighs over 30lbs.), but the sound it produces from SACD’s, CD’s, DVD data disks and it’s array of digital inputs (including DSD256 through its USB-B) is magic to my ears. Everything just sounds better. I’m using it as a hub for everything but my turntable, which is connected to the 40n. Will have to get some updated system photos.

10 Likes

I’ve also been a fan of this component when I’ve heard it. Pretty unique feature set to combine sacd player and streamer in one unit. And I find the built-in native Heos streaming app to be very solid.

I use a Marantz pm7000n (the super integrated model below 40n) in my work system and happy with it for the modest investment

1 Like

Not surprising given that in Japan spinning discs still have about 30% of the market ad Marantz have their own multi-disc spinner (as used by PS Audio).

This product range seems to have been a winner all round the audio world for price, performance and styling.

For the last 5 years Marantz seem to have ensured that these units include internal isolation so that the disc-spinning, streaming and other services do not compromise each other.

1 Like

Took a couple of days to sell my KI-Ruby units. There’s fairly demand in the used market regarding the previous design generation. ;0)

Anyone compare the sound of the Marantz Ruby to the 30n? I am curious how close they are, sound-wise, for CDs and SACDs.

1 Like

There’s a gap, as you’d expect

Appears to be a nice and convenient all in one digital solution.

1 Like

It’s a really nice piece of kit, as they say. I owned one for about 6 months until the big October '21 sale on the latest PSA transport. Built like a tank, solid transport, and a lush, almost luxurious sound that, to me, came within a gnat’s eyelash of the Ruby. They absolutely share the Marantz “house sound” DNA.

5 Likes

I have this paired with a Marantz Model 30. Driving Quad Z2 bookshelf speakers (with bi-wired Anticables) and an SVS sub. I mostly listen to hi res downloads and CD/DVDA/Blu Ray rips, which I play with Audirvana Origin and send to the 30n via USB. I have a few SACDs.

The resulting sound is just crazy transparent, especially with hi res recordings.

There seems to be some similarity between the Marantz Musical Mastering system (used on the 30n, Ruby, 10, and 12 series) and the PS Audio Direct Stream in that both convert everything to DSD. MMM goes to 4x DSD. IIRC, the Direct Stream goes to 20x DSD.

I found that the 30n benefits from good vibration control devices. I have Vibrapod discs plus cones in place of the stock feet, and some sort of slab by Bright Star Audio that I bought 20 years ago damping the top.

2 Likes

Yes the 30n is a very nice streaming and SACD player in one if you like the Marantz sound. I’ve got a Ruby myself so I’m in that group who does, and I use Heos on a marantz pm7000n super integrated at work and think as a stream interface it is pretty decent as well for being an included manufacturer-specific solution, especially a mfg not solely dedicated to digital.

3 Likes

Good!

1 Like

WELCOME! :slight_smile:

Keep posting!

Anyone owned a Marantz SA-11S2 here? Wondering if anyone ever tried the external clock input for this unit.

Still manufactured in Japan to boot. For me, at least, the country of manufacture still matters. The buzz surrounding the SACD 30n has been impressive. Looks like you pulled the trigger on a best buy, beautifully built bargain (in crazy high end audio terms). Well done. Enjoy.

The Ruby is the best SACD player that I have owned. I recently auditioned a Yamaha CD-S3000 and found that I preferred the Ruby. I have a Denon DCD-A110 arriving this week to try out. I really like the sound of the Denon DCD-1600NE (great dynamics and PRAT), though overall I don’t like it as much as the Ruby. I have read that the DCD-A110 is a big step up, so I am excited to hear it in my system

2 Likes

If you like the Ruby sound a step up to the SA-10 would make more sense imo.

Or be happy with what you have and just buy more music for it.

5 Likes

Had a Ruby, wish I still had a Ruby. Haven’t looked at the Denon DCD-A110

Oh easier said than done! This is a disease, I’m convinced of that. Or some kind of evil plot, I dunno

Ruby is more open to me, I really like the Ruby better and wish I still had it. The 30n is richer, warmer, but so much so its a bit heavier now that I’ve listened to it more.