MEET MR. AMAR GOPAL BOSE

AMAR GOPAL BOSE

1929-2013

http://startoholics.in/2013/07/some-dreams-never-go-for-a-toss-meet-mr-amar-bose/

The excitement level for me working on projects is really not a bit different from when I was 26.

- Amar Bose

Maybe that’s what drove him to greater heights each day and maybe that’s why obituaries have his picture highlighted and his name flashed in all papers when he breathed his last yesterday. Any person cannot achieve that kind of respect and condolences. It is the way one lives that makes his/ her final journey worth noticing, worth making people pause and reflect on the life that he/she led and sometimes even send a small silent prayer to make his soul rest in peace.

Attached files

http://youtu.be/eSi6J-QK1lw

His real passion was apparently automotive suspensions. I have marveled at this demonstration for years.

@gordon For a different perspective on Mr. Bose & law suits, here is Fremer’s view:

http://www.analogplanet.com/how-is-ted-coding-the-fpgaent/dr-amar-bose-dead-83

@birddogthecat

What was the famous saying.

" I don’t agree with what he said but I will fight to the death for his right to make an ass of himself".

In defence of Herr Fromer, he does not sound like a very happy individual.

Mikey, I’m sure Mr. Bose’s family will say a prayer for you too. It is in their culture.

With every life well lived there are both good and bad actions.

Mr. Bose did some wonderful things. He also committed some dreadful, appalling acts.

One needs to take into account the entire panoply when evaluating a life.

Gordon said: In defence of Herr Fromer, he does not sound like a very happy individual.

No need to shoot the messenger with ad hominum comments. The facts he cites are true. His subjective evaluations of Bose products are opinions to which all of us are entitled - and with many agree.

@birddogthecat

Mikey, I'm sure Mr. Bose's family will say a prayer for you too. It is in their culture.

Of course, I may poke a lot of fun but always respected the man. He was an innovator and he was an easy target for all the the snob self appointed audio experts.

Paul Klipsch was another audio hero of mine.

In my college days (circa 1975) I went looking for new speakers–my first real speakers. The sales person at Pacific Stereo almost talked me into buying a pair of 901s, which I could not afford and did not have the amp to drive. Fortunately, better sense prevailed and I bought a pair of JBL L100s (this is before Harmon bought JBL and did to the brand what Harmon does to once great brands). I never regreted that decision. (The JBLs are still in use by one of my college roommates and still sound pretty decent.) I (much) later bought a pair of Thiel 2 2’s. As a lawyer (albeit of a different kind) the idea that someone would claim to own a trademark for “.2” in the name of a speaker always shocked me. I have friends who went to MIT and only have nice things to say about Dr. Bose as a teacher. When it comes to the company, I’m with Mikey.

wglenn said: His real passion was apparently automotive suspensions. I have marveled at this demonstration for years.

The video is impressive.

The underlying system is mechanically simple, but the sensors and algorithms would be difficult to implement. It apparently did not function as well as demonstrated, had other drawbacks or was vastly too expensive to implement as it appears no one uses the system.

I am very curious as to the feedback the driver receives with the system, and how it address maintaining alignment with suspension compression, etc.

GM, in particular, engineered and and used a spectacular electronic magneto-rheological shocks on Cadillacs and Corvettes for over a decade. Ferrari now uses them as well. They react in one millisecond. Really. Amazing technology and incredibly effective. I have driven Corvettes with the system and am very impressed.
stevem2 said: I have friends who went to MIT and only have nice things to say about Dr. Bose as a teacher. When it comes to the company, I'm with Mikey.

Yup.

A fair balance.

He didn’t make friends in the audio world, but neither did Bill Gates in his. Both successfully marketed mediocre products with great success, often at the expense of others (the latter remarkably so). I can admire his business prowess without accepting his ethics or liking him, per se.

@elk: yes, I wondered what happened to the suspension. Last I heard they were working a deal with Infinity but that was some years ago. I wonder if the feedback was minimal making it a dull drive… kinda’ like the “speaks.” :wink:

wglenn said: I wonder if the feedback was minimal making it a dull drive

Me, too. On the other hand, it may be great. I am really intrigued.

There is a big potential downside. If the system fails and gets stuck, the rigid locked suspension would be both horrendous to deal with and dangerous. There we need to be a safe failure mode.

In 1986 I took the Acoustics course Bose taught while attending that tech school on the Charles river. It was both one of the most difficult and most rewarding courses I took there. His complete departure from the rest of the industry at that time was going back to the equations and seeing where they led you. Equations that combined electrical, mechanical, and acoustic modeling simultaneously were extreme challenges. However they quite often pointed you in design directions you would otherwise not remotely consider. He was extremely down to earth and very passionate about the subjuct as a professor. I had no idea of the magnitude of his operation until after that semester was over. My response after touring his massive engineering and production plants on Route 128 was “what the hell is this guy doing taking time out to teach?” Quite an individual - his class was an experience I’ll never forget.

1 Like

Welcome, Gravy!

Wonderful comments and very interesting.

Strange

On my iPad this is the only thread that is jumping around and almost unreadable.

All others are fine.

Maybe he is watching and communicating?

Would not surprise me.

But why would he want only you not be able to read it? :slight_smile:

Gordon, it has to do with the size of the picture and there are a number of threads that make me crazy with the text jumping around on the iPad. If the image is just the right (or wrong) size, it gets stuck in a loop resizing and re-resizing it… :frowning:

J.P.

@wingsounds13

Is there à way to stop it?

I keep hearing voices with no highs or lows too!!!

Sure, just get people to not post images that are 1024 wide. (this editing while the screen jumps around is a b!+ch…) That, or browse on a real computer and not on an iPad.

J.P.

Does this mean the image Gordon included in his post starting this thread is the issue? I’m surprised this would confuse an iPad.

It’s an iPad, whaddya expect?? Superior, bulletproof technology? I only got it to run eLyric controller. It does okay as a web browser too (sometimes, when it isn’t crashing out from poor memory management’ or dancing around.)

J.P.