Misc. Ramblings

Looks fine if you want to barbeque a goat.

4 Likes

You don’t need that much space to barbecue a goat.

3 Likes

Not quite. We were on a month trek with nowhere to get food, so when we came across a goat-herder our guides saw dinner. If it had been down to me to skin and disembowel a goat, I probably wouldn’t do it in a tent.

Reminds me of this charming gentleman who had part of a dried goat strapped to his back and nibbled away at it as he wandered around.

3 Likes

Way off topic but I’ve been in the animal rescue/shelter world for 20 years (as a volunteer). Mark Buehrle is immensely admired for his work in animal welfare. He and his wife Jaime and their menagerie of pets are featured in the 2015 documentary “The Champions.”

Not sure it gets any better: one of the best pitchers ever and a tireless advocate for animals.

4 Likes

He’s such a good dude. Genuine as hell. I’d love to meet him someday.

1 Like

Me, I’d have had a few Mars Bars instead.
No wonder humans have spread to all parts of the world - we will eat anything (not me, I’m a picky eater, but the species as a whole) :slight_smile:

1 Like

In Afghanistan, when eating local food we learned not to ask after the one time we did and our terps responded just “it’s meat.” And that’s as far as we ever found out.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

4 Likes

come the Zombie Apocalypse, i’ll be one of the first on the menu: being a veggie i don’t have the strength to run :wink:

3 Likes

Just to round this off, for Muslims Eid is a day of sacrifice and here is a Muslim goat with a very short life expectancy. It was delicious. More to the point, the kitchen is clearly modelled on my own, along with the cinder blocks, or is it the other way round? The women do all the work, the men, being men, sit around all day chatting and listening to the stereo.

3 Likes

@Sohail can correct me. A sacrifice animal must be distributed: 1/3rd goes to the poor, 1/3rd to be gifted, 1/3rd stays in the household.

Honestly I wouldn’t know.

@stevensegal Nice pictures!

1 Like

Please start a new thread. This isn’t about system photos any more.
“Sacrificing goats”?

4 Likes

Exactly my motto when traveling Asia. Don’t ask eat what looks good to the eye and tastes good. Never ask what it is, you will loose appetite.

Although, I must say that those good people, who I have dealt with, know our western limitations in food and have gone through great efforts not to put is in embarrassing situations.

They made me adopt gently to Asian culinary traditions.

1 Like

actual photos of you at stonehenge free festival 1980s? :wink:

1 Like

We once took daily turns to be official food taster. The hardest was in rural Japan where no one speaks anything but Japanese. The menu consists of bits of wood on nails up on the wall, so I just pointed to a few at random. Some of the things were a bit weird. The music was weirder.

1 Like

When I was living in Ethiopia in the 'sixties we made a trip to Harar and there outside the city gates I watched this man’s father (this fellow inherited the job from his father according to some research and his father was the “hyena man” then) feed hyenas bones in this and several other seeming dangerous manners. Fascinating.

PS: I must confess my Dad (against my Mom’s objection I think) tipped the hyena man so that my brother and I could carefully feed a hyena a loooooong bone.

5 Likes

Holy smokes.

This thread should be re-titled “Goat Recipes”.

4 Likes

3 Likes

I think it should be moved to a separate thread and this thread should go back to misc ramblings :grin:

1 Like